Travel Agent vs. Regent Rep Question

Posted (edited)

Infrequent cruiser here. Fourth one in 30 years, 5 years since last.  Going to Med on Regent Splendor, very soon. Excited, expect it will be great.  I lurk these board for info and I get a ton of valuable stuff, thank you all you experienced people!  I doubt you realize how helpful you are.

Here is my question:

My regent rep is not very responsive or helpful.  He's not horrible, this is not a complaint, I don't want him replaced... but I have to email him or leave msg 2 or 3 times to get a response.  Been waiting a month for him to arrange a pre-cruise land tour for us also.  Just for $30K I would have hoped for a bit more responsiveness.

Cruise is in 40 days and fully paid for. Do you recommend I transfer to a travel agent to help with stuff?  Since we are novices we have more questions than some I guess.  I know a TA might give us some benefits also?  I have never used one.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by The Hudson Co. Landlubber

2 minutes ago, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

Infrequent cruiser here. Fourth one in 30 years, 5 years since last.  Going to Med on Regent Splendor, very soon. Excited, expect it will be great.  I lurk these board for info and I get a ton of valuable stuff, thank you all you experienced people!  I doubt you realize how helpful you are.

Here is my question:

My regent rep is not very responsive or helpful.  He's not horrible, this is not a complaint, I don't want him replaced... but I have to email him or leave msg 2 or 3 times to get a response.  Been waiting a month for him to arrange a pre-cruise land tour for us also.  Just for $30K I would have hoped for a bit more responsiveness.

Cruise is in 40 days and fully paid for. Do you recommend I transfer to a travel agent to help with stuff?  Since we are novices we have more questions than some I guess.  I know a TA might give us some benefits also?  I have never used one.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think RSSC will now let you transfer to another TA. I use an independent TA. This morning I decided to add a precruise for my Barcelona to Montreal cruise in August of 2025. I emailed my TA and 30 minutes later, I got the new RSSC invoice for the precruise add on. That is how things are supposed to work This TA also gives me a "gift" of almost 10% of the cruise- I call that "found money". 

• Like 1

You can transfer any cruise....BUT, if it is after 30 days, the commission does not transfer with the booking. Also, you should know that if you are trying to arrange a custom land package through Regent's Custom Land Department that this department is HORRIBLE. They can take weeks to respond to an enquiry from the Regent Rep AND, to make it even worse, they will not speak to an outside person or TA....only a Regent Rep. The outside TA can book it - but they must go through a Regent Rep and the entire process takes months. I have done this before and I am about to start another as soon as we get within 365 days of the cruise.

Are you just going through Regent or did you have a TA assigned when you booked the cruise? It's always better to have a TA than to deal directly with Regent when you do a booking. They will followup and take care of things between you and Regent. The price will be most likely be the same, but with the TA you can get cruise credits, and they can make excursion and dinner reservations when they become available so you don't have to. We have stayed with our original TA from our first cruise, and she does all of our bookings on all cruises. We even met her in the UK since she happened to be there when we were there pre-cruise, and we had a great time when we met.