Cabin 701 on Roald Amundsen or Fritjof Nansen

I have a hold on cabin 701, can anyone tell me if :

- it's still noisy during rough seas

- I'm concerned that the gorgeous front sloping windows face the observation deck & the loss of privacy from people looking in

- the website says there's a double murphy bed for 3rd/4th pax, do you know how this works?

Thanks!

Hi, I have a hold on this expedition suite cabin for 4 adults (our 2 daughters in early 20s) for an Antarctica sailing.

Website says there's a double murphy bed for 3rd/4th passengers, does anyone know where this is located?

Also I understand the outdoor observation deck is right outside the suite's sloping windows. Has anyone who has been in this suite (or cabin 700) find this a problem for privacy?

Thank you!

We travelled to Antarctica earlier this year on RA and were in Suite 701
- no issue with noise in rough seas that we were particularly concerned about - at the bow of a small boat in a 6m swell is always going to be a bit of a ride

- no real issue, but it did seem to unnerve my wife a little, and the bottom of the window is high in comparison to your position when lying on the couches - there is a heavy curtain that divides this area from the main part of the cabin.

- this seems to be in the wall of the cabin in the centre of the main section of the suite along the centre line of the boat - we didn't use this at all

Travelling again on RA in August, doing Vancouver to Nome, but have moved a deck up to 801

4 minutes ago, owensp said:

- no issue with noise in rough seas that we were particularly concerned about - at the bow of a small boat in a 6m swell is always going to be a bit of a ride

- no real issue, but it did seem to unnerve my wife a little, and the bottom of the window is high in comparison to your position when lying on the couches - there is a heavy curtain that divides this area from the main part of the cabin.

- this seems to be in the wall of the cabin in the centre of the main section of the suite along the centre line of the boat - we didn't use this at all

Travelling again on RA in August, doing Vancouver to Nome, but have moved a deck up to 801

Thanks so much for the info - much appreciated. Yes definitely praying for the Drake Lake and not the Drake Shake....can't imagine being on the bow with 6m waves 😞

Yes cabin 800 & 801 are ideal but not within what we want to spend.

Enjoy your next cruise on RA!

RA was our first ever cruise, and we loved it - 701 is much bigger than 700 as it has been designed for PWD passengers, which we hadn't realized initially - I did report a few minor issues that I'm sure maintenance will have attended to after our cruise - enjoy, the crew and expedition team are amazing as is the destination.

Can I ask how many passengers you had on your cruise to Antarctica? Also wondering how many landings were possible each day, weather permitting. I understand landings are limited to 100 passengers and as the RA has a capacity of 500+ (though understand that usually not more than 300 guests), wondering if there are less opportunities to explore on zodiac than a smaller ship of 100+ passengers? 

We were in Greenland on a ship of 170 passengers and enjoyed twice daily zodiac explorations (no restrictions on numbers & good weather in the Arctic summer).

Thanks again ! Just trying to make a decision....

We were on the RA January 2023.  We had one landing each day that lasted from 1-2.5 hours, and one zodiak tour that lasted from 30-60 minutes.  It was very organized and just right.  The ship was constantly in photo-opportunity mode.  My husband took about 45,000l photos.  It was a surreal trip that I would do again in a heartbeat.  Some of the landings were quite strenuous, and some of the zodiak tours were quite wet.

You have to gear up for getting off the ship in Antarctica.  For us it was long johns (lightweight wool), ski pants (outside the boots), sweatshirt, wool socks, Hurtigruten jacket and boots, hat, and life vest.  We actually changed for lunch and then back in the gear for the next landing/zodiak ride.

There are also craft classes, science classes, information meetings, meals, games, etc.

We were in Suite 856.  The suites give you access for no extra charge to the Lindstrom.

The cruise/expedition was wonderful.  (As you can see by my signature, it took several tries to actually take this trip.  Our January 2022 sailing was cancelled as we were loading the car to head for the airport.)

Thank you for your detailed reply, it is very helpful. 

I am currently torn between HX & Quark Expeditions on the Ocean Explorer, a new ship that has a max of 126 passengers which has a fly-in to Antarctica & sail back to Ushuia - our preference. Both are excellent companies with many years in exploration. 

6 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

We were on the RA January 2023.  We had one landing each day that lasted from 1-2.5 hours, and one zodiak tour that lasted from 30-60 minutes.  It was very organized and just right.  The ship was constantly in photo-opportunity mode.  My husband took about 45,000l photos.  It was a surreal trip that I would do again in a heartbeat.  Some of the landings were quite strenuous, and some of the zodiak tours were quite wet.

You have to gear up for getting off the ship in Antarctica.  For us it was long johns (lightweight wool), ski pants (outside the boots), sweatshirt, wool socks, Hurtigruten jacket and boots, hat, and life vest.  We actually changed for lunch and then back in the gear for the next landing/zodiak ride.

There are also craft classes, science classes, information meetings, meals, games, etc.

We were in Suite 856.  The suites give you access for no extra charge to the Lindstrom.

The cruise/expedition was wonderful.  (As you can see by my signature, it took several tries to actually take this trip.  Our January 2022 sailing was cancelled as we were loading the car to head for the airport.)

On 4/1/2024 at 12:45 AM, owensp said:

Thanks for the information. We will be in room 701 in December. Did you take any pictures of the room that you can share? 

On 4/1/2024 at 12:45 AM, owensp said:

Will also be on the RA from Vancouver to Nome starting 4 Aug 2024.  Cabin 721.  It will be my first expedition, but not my first cruise.  See you in Alaska!