Tickets to the Colosseum from the official website.

weston gal

We are staying overnight in Rome on June 22 after our cruise and planned on doing the Colosseum night tour with Arena and underground. We had a reservation with GetYourGuide that was canceled a month after I made it. I checked the official website for the Colosseum and could not book any date after April 30. Do they only sell tickets for the current month? When will I be able to buy tickets on that website for June 22 directly from them?

Colosseum ticketing has been problematic for the last couple of years, post-Covid. 

The authorities are changing how ticketing is done. I'm not sure what exactly that entails, but likely a different process if not an entirely new vendor.

The change appears to be underway now (April) with a stated goal of May 1 for the turnover.

I would suggest following this thread on Tripadvisor for more info.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k14717647-New_Notice_on_Parco_Archeologico_Del_Colosseo_Website-Rome_Lazio.html

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been checking their new (and old and it sometimes throws you back to the old one) website to try and get an idea as to what time of day (or night here in the US) they add tickets for the new day.  Very much interested in trying to get an underground tour of the Colosseum (but also want to see Palatine Hill as well) and it seems it's always sold out.  Everything is overpriced on Viator and other websites and even when you read reviews it seems they can switch up the tours and sometimes you don't even make it to the underground areas and people are waiting on refunds, etc.   Are all these vendors scooping up that tickets and that's what's making it more difficult for individuals to get tickets?

9 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Been checking their new (and old and it sometimes throws you back to the old one) website to try and get an idea as to what time of day (or night here in the US) they add tickets for the new day.  Very much interested in trying to get an underground tour of the Colosseum (but also want to see Palatine Hill as well) and it seems it's always sold out.  Everything is overpriced on Viator and other websites and even when you read reviews it seems they can switch up the tours and sometimes you don't even make it to the underground areas and people are waiting on refunds, etc.   Are all these vendors scooping up that tickets and that's what's making it more difficult for individuals to get tickets?

The new website is supposed to fix the scooping up issue by requiring the name of the person on each ticket. They can ask you for an id that matches the name on the ticket.  This is what they say:

Parco archeologico del Colosseo nominative tickets
The Full Experience Underground and Arena tickets and the Moon over the Colosseum event tickets are nominative and show the personal data of the visitor. The nominative ticket will show the data of each group or family member.

In case of mismatch with the identity document, access to the Colosseum will not be allowed and no refund will be granted.

The tour operators using the B2B channel will be required to enter the name of the users of tickets at the time of purchase, with the possibility of changing it once only, no later than midnight of the third day prior to the date of use of the ticket.
Please also note that each operator may purchase a maximum of 500 tickets per day on the B2B channel.

Right now they are only selling tickets for up to one month from today.  The guided tour tickets are sold out.  The regular admission for "Individuals" (no guided tour) are available for every day and there are plenty of tickets available (€24). Tickets that include the underground are only available with a guided tour.  All the "Full Experience" tickets (with or without a guided tour include admission to the Forum and Palatine Hill and all the SUPER sites.  

It used to be that new tickets were released at midnight Rome time. I expect that is still the same.

• Like 1

@marazul So am I going to the right place for the guided tickets - cause it's always showing sold out.  I'll check at 6pm EST and see if tickets for the 17th show up.

https://ticketing.colosseo.it/en/eventi/full-experience-sotterranei-e-arena-visita-guidata/

Having a hard time find the non-guided underground tickets - their website is a bit confusing to me with all their different ticket options.

As a side note, this past weekend I was watching a History Channel special on The Dormus Area and thought that would be neat to tour too....except it seems tickets are only available Fri, Sat and Sun when we are not available.  Well, maybe we could do Friday morning before we head to the port assuming we could find a place to hold our luggage. 🙂 

34 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Having a hard time find the non-guided underground tickets - their website is a bit confusing to me with all their different ticket options.

The link you are using is for guided visits. (visita guidada). Click on the "Ticketing Homepage" link. Or just use the plain link:

https://ticketing.colosseo.it/en/

You will be offered Guided Tours, Individuals, Groups and Schools.  Click on "Individuals."  Then click on a "Full Experience" ticket.  Those are the admission tickets without the tours.

The Domus Aurea is great.  It has a really well done virtual experience.  Your hotel will hold your luggage after you check out until you return.

Good luck.  Let us know if you get the tickets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marazul said:

The link you are using is for guided visits. (visita guidada). Click on the "Ticketing Homepage" link. Or just use the plain link:

https://ticketing.colosseo.it/en/

You will be offered Guided Tours, Individuals, Groups and Schools.  Click on "Individuals."  Then click on a "Full Experience" ticket.  Those are the admission tickets without the tours.

The Domus Aurea is great.  It has a really well done virtual experience.  Your hotel will hold your luggage after you check out until you return.

Good luck.  Let us know if you get the tickets.

Thank you so much. Very helpful! I will save those links.  We're staying in a VRBO so I can send them a message and see if they can hold our luggage a bit for us. We still haven't decided if we're gonna take a train or private transport to the port. 

10 hours ago, erby2283 said:

As a side note, this past weekend I was watching a History Channel special on The Dormus Area and thought that would be neat to tour too....except it seems tickets are only available Fri, Sat and Sun when we are not available.  Well, maybe we could do Friday morning before we head to the port assuming we could find a place to hold our luggage. 🙂 

The Domus Aurea is fabulous but be warned that it's a work in progress. Lots of scaffolding and some areas are off limits. They are currently doing a lot of work to restore and stabilize it. 

I've been three times, most recently last November and I really saw a lot of progress. Some of the frescoes that have been newly cleaned and revealed are wonderful.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Thank you so much. Very helpful! I will save those links.  We're staying in a VRBO so I can send them a message and see if they can hold our luggage a bit for us. We still haven't decided if we're gonna take a train or private transport to the port. 

I just checked.  There are tickets available for June 17, including non-guided tickets to the underground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

I just checked.  There are tickets available for June 17, including non-guided tickets to the underground.

Did you mean May 17th? I didn't see any for June but did see one time slot left for May 17th.  We don't go until September but once I know for sure when they release tickets - forgot to check right at 6pm EST - I'll set up a reminder on my calendar.

3 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Did you mean May 17th? I didn't see any for June but did see one time slot left for May 17th.  We don't go until September but once I know for sure when they release tickets - forgot to check right at 6pm EST - I'll set up a reminder on my calendar.

Oooops. May 17.

On 4/16/2024 at 10:00 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The Domus Aurea is fabulous but be warned that it's a work in progress. Lots of scaffolding and some areas are off limits. They are currently doing a lot of work to restore and stabilize it. 

I've been three times, most recently last November and I really saw a lot of progress. Some of the frescoes that have been newly cleaned and revealed are wonderful.

Did you find tours in English at the Domus?  I only saw Italian tours for June

2 minutes ago, Cruise4usnow1 said:

Did you find tours in English at the Domus?  I only saw Italian tours for June

There are usually English tours mixed in with the Italian ones. Not as many but I seem to remember there were a fair number of them on each day it is open. I haven't checked the site recently though. Perhaps the English ones are sold out?