Casual dining restaurants on the Sun

Hi ev1. On another thread, it was mentioned that the Sun has ONLY 2 casual dining restaurants and one of them is open only for dinner. All other restaurants have been designated as specialty dining. Is that correct? If yes, then it stinks big time. A premier package customer (with unlimited casual dining) would then essentially have only 1 option for lunch. I do know that he/she can try the buffet and other restaurants, but what is the point of selling it as "unlimited" if there is only 1 restaurant available? Am I missing something? A brand new ship with only 1 casual dining restaurant open for lunch? If that's  the case, I trust the lines would be quite long.

23 minutes ago, TopofWorld said:

Hi ev1. On another thread, it was mentioned that the Sun has ONLY 2 casual dining restaurants and one of them is open only for dinner. All other restaurants have been designated as specialty dining. Is that correct? If yes, then it stinks big time. A premier package customer (with unlimited casual dining) would then essentially have only 1 option for lunch. I do know that he/she can try the buffet and other restaurants, but what is the point of selling it as "unlimited" if there is only 1 restaurant available? Am I missing something? A brand new ship with only 1 casual dining restaurant open for lunch? If that's  the case, I trust the lines would be quite long.

Below a copy of my recent posting:

"It's worth checking with Kai Sushi on the Sun.  We had casual dining with our Premier package and as O'Malleys never opened for lunch and we could get pizza in several locations on the ship we asked at Kai Sushi and they said they were doing 'Casual' - it was a multi-course 'tasting' lunch.  We really enjoyed the experience - much better than our evening at Butchers Block which in our opinion was a lot of 'hype' over quality -  but that's probably because we prefer good quality meat balanced with fresh vegetables.  We also weren't fans of the cooked meat being paraded around all the tables prior to carving - especially as 2 guests the evening we were there had 'streaming' colds.  Oops- I've digressed.   Anyway - try asking and I hope they are still doing it."

Ps. It was definitely a Casual and a different menu from their evening Speciality.

Thank you very much for the reply. That was the thread that prompted my question. My point was why advertise/offer something as unlimited but only in 1 venue?  Your case might hold, or maybe it was the exception. One has to wait until onboard to find out, but still I believe it is a crappy move on Princess part, if only 1 venue is available for casual dining lunch. Just my 0.02.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TopofWorld said:

Thank you very much for the reply. That was the thread that prompted my question. My point was why advertise/offer something as unlimited but only in 1 venue?  Your case might hold, or maybe it was the exception. One has to wait until onboard to find out, but still I believe it is a crappy move on Princess part, if only 1 venue is available for casual dining lunch. Just my 0.02.

I think many of us agree.  Why have a 'British/Irish' pub concept on board and not serve pub lunches - especially as there are only 2 other venues (one of which is Kai Sushi which wasn't advertised as such.  We only found out whilst on board by reading a posting from 'dides' saying it was Casual on Diamond so made a point of asking, otherwise we would have missed out on a very enjoyable experience).  'Casual' meals are a large 'chunk of the expensive Premier package for those who don't drink a lot of alcohol or those who mainly stay on board on port days.  Hopefully Princess will 're-think' the food serving hours at O'Malleys. 

Thank you. All the warning signs (pre-cruise) are there, but I still try to maintain a positive attitude and wait until on board to express a factual opinion. However, countless app and IT issues, reservation erroneous cancellations, started with a D2 cabin, renamed to category D0 with signature benefits, then benefits removed, inability to book dining despite having paid in full, casual dining limited options and so on, make me think that back to RCL it is. Hopefully I am proven wrong.

I am one who strongly agrees that Princess should open O'Malley's at lunch time.  We really enjoy dinner in the dining room.  We did purchase premier, and since it comes with 2 specialty dining dinners, that only leaves five nights for the main dining room on our 7 night cruise.  I really don't want to give up a dining room dinner for the pub food in O'Malleys.  I would love it for lunch, though.  Due to covid and some other buffet tales I have heard, we avoid the buffet.  So not a lot of choices for lunch. Please Princess, open O'Malley's for lunch.

1 hour ago, quanmama said:

Does anyone know if Sun Princess offers the same free specialty dining on first night of the cruise like the other ships? 

Yes, suites have comped specialty dining on the first night. On all Princess ships..

There's no other free specialty dining on the first night..

19 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, suites have comped specialty dining on the first night. On all Princess ships..

There's no other free specialty dining on the first night..

Thank you! I meant for suites passengers but I forgot to mention it. We will be in a suite and would love to enjoy that perks  

On 4/3/2024 at 7:25 AM, DaisyRose said:

I am one who strongly agrees that Princess should open O'Malley's at lunch time.  We really enjoy dinner in the dining room.  We did purchase premier, and since it comes with 2 specialty dining dinners, that only leaves five nights for the main dining room on our 7 night cruise.  I really don't want to give up a dining room dinner for the pub food in O'Malleys.  I would love it for lunch, though.  Due to covid and some other buffet tales I have heard, we avoid the buffet.  So not a lot of choices for lunch. Please Princess, open O'Malley's for lunch.

The ship employees serve you at the buffet on the Sun Princess so no need to avoid The Eatery buffet. 😊