GigSky and eSIM alternatives to onboard WiFi

Has anyone used GigSky or other eSIM services on cruise ships?  They claim this works out at sea using the cruise ship cell service but at a better rate.

https://www.gigsky.com/data-cruises

It's not cheap at $39US for 1Gig for 7 days but it's still cheaper than Wifi for pretty much all cruise lines.

Any other alternatives that work on cruise ships?

I just plan to use for web browsing and texting at sea (light data usage) and then do large photo/video transfers on WiFi while at ports.

I never used it or seen it mentioned must be new. I have used eSIMs ( my iPhone only uses eSIM) but none roamed on Cellular at Sea. If you can keep it under 1G and your phone has an eSIM it would be workable on ships that have Cellular at Sea. This is the first eSIM I have seen that roams on Cellular at Sea.  

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I never used it or seen it mentioned must be new. I have used eSIMs ( my iPhone only uses eSIM) but none roamed on Cellular at Sea. If you can keep it under 1G and your phone has an eSIM it would be workable on ships that have Cellular at Sea. This is the first eSIM I have seen that roams on Cellular at Sea.  

Thanks for the feedback.  I plan to give it a shot on next cruise.  If you turn off images in your web browser and just use for browsing and texting it should be doable to keep under 100MB/day, well under the Gig per week.  And then send pics/videos on land.  Looking forward to trying it.  But wanted to check if any other eSIM services work on cruise ships.  GigSky is only one I can find so far.

8 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I plan to give it a shot on next cruise.  If you turn off images in your web browser and just use for browsing and texting it should be doable to keep under 100MB/day, well under the Gig per week.  And then send pics/videos on land.  Looking forward to trying it.  But wanted to check if any other eSIM services work on cruise ships.  GigSky is only one I can find so far.

My iPad has an eSIM. I might test it out next cruise. What would be good is if more plans were offered in the future or if Airalo offered roaming on Cellular at Sea. 

4 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

Thanks, I did a search and didn't find anything similar.  And I should've posted this in that category.  Moderator can move it over there.

I think this board was a good initial place to post your question. More people will see it. I never would have seen it. Thanks for posting. 

My iPad has an eSIM. I might test it out next cruise. What would be good is if more plans were offered in the future or if Airalo offered roaming on Cellular at Sea. 

Yeah I looked at Airalo and looks like they don't support C@S yet.  Hopefully more eSIM players will over time and compete on rates.

Just now, SoloFullTime said:

Yeah I looked at Airalo and looks like they don't support C@S yet.  Hopefully more eSIM players will over time and compete on rates.

There is also a Visa card benefit on one bank card. I don’t have that particular card but that is something to keep an eye on. 

There is also a Visa card benefit on one bank card. I don’t have that particular card but that is something to keep an eye on. 

Do you know which card? I'm using Chase Sapphire preferred for the travel insurance but no cruise WiFi benefits.

24 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

Do you know which card? I'm using Chase Sapphire preferred for the travel insurance but no cruise WiFi benefits.

US Bank Altitude Visa Connect. Reading between the lines Gigsky implies that more credit cards could get the benefit in the future. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

And in the above article: ‘However, based on a recent LinkedIn post from GigSky's Chief Commercial Officer Samuel King, the company has plans to roll this benefit out to additional banks and Visa credit cards in the future.’

Edited by Charles4515