1982 Video Tape: World Cruise of the QE2

berry22192

I've just been looking at an old VHS tape "The Great World Cruise of the QE2." Although the content was copyright in 1989, the 85-minute program appears to be made of the QE2's 1982 80-day World Cruise [which began on 17 January from NY]. Captain Peter Jackson is shown as the Master and he retired in January 1983. All passengers in the video appear to be on board for the entire 80 days.

If the program was made in 1982, it would have been right before the QE2 was requisitioned by the British government [in May of 1982] for use in the Falklands War--and may explain why the program was not published right away. The tape does include scenes on the bridge and engine room and scenes of Miami, Martinique, Barbados, Salvador, Rio, Cape Town, Mauritius, Kandy [sri Lanka], Taj Mahal, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Bankok, Hong Kong, Korea, Tokyo, Honolulu, Acapulco, Panama Canal, Cartagena and Curacoa.

For those planning trips on the QE2, or for the just plain QE2 aficionados, I recommend you try and view this tape - it is how the Lady was 24 years ago and 12 years before her 1994 refit.

I should warn you however that the commentary on the video is atrocious: so bad that it is laughable. [Why do some cameramen believe that just because they can do one thing well, they also have the ability to write and narrate well?]

I found my copy of the tape [a Doug Jones Travelog] on an on-line auction site.

Chris

IMHO the best video footage of QE2 from an early 1980's World QE2 Cruise is from the Alan Whicker Fast Boat to China Documentary which at 3hours long is a very informative look at life on QE2, with many passenger and crew interviews. I am very surprised this has not yet made it onto DVD - an excellent programme with the formidable raconteur Alan Whicker who I now understand travels as a passenger & lectures on both QE2 & QM2 from time to time. I am lucky to have an original copy of the program shown on BBC when the series was first shown in the UK.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I should warn you however that the commentary on the video is atrocious: so bad that it is laughable.

I to have this copy, for the life of me l cant help but wonder why cant anybody produce a decent video of this great ship! the only decent programme l have seen was, as RJMS comments, the formidable Alan Whicker, even though its some 20 plus years old l still have fond memories of watching this and dreaming one day l will make it onboard, which l have done again and again..

I have only watched the Mr Jones video once, and that was quite enough!!!

l did think the ocean pictures video of 1985 was bad, compared to Mr Jones version it deserves an oscar!!!.. the music at best leaves me with a headache!

I do gather sometimes the Alan Whicker programme is shown on UK sky tv, if anybody ever though to tape it, they could name their price and l would gladly pay that for it!

cheers

Myles

I know it is not the world cruise but a cool vintage look at QE2 can be found on the National Geographic video "THE SUPERLINERS: TWILIGHT OF AN ERA" about 60 mins 1980 but also sold as video 1992. While it has

flashbacks about many great ships it traces a voyage Southampton to New York. Lots of cool vinatage interior shots and interviews with pasengers and crew, ( many of the crew at that time had sailed on the old Queens and the ship was still mostly British)...

ISBN 0-8001-2654-8

Perhaps it can be found on e-bay.... My garage sale loving parents found it for me...

I've just been looking at an old VHS tape "The Great World Cruise of the QE2." Although the content was copyright in 1989, the 85-minute program appears to be made of the QE2's 1982 80-day World Cruise [which began on 17 January from NY]. Captain Peter Jackson is shown as the Master and he retired in January 1983. All passengers in the video appear to be on board for the entire 80 days.

If the program was made in 1982, it would have been right before the QE2 was requisitioned by the British government [in May of 1982] for use in the Falklands War--and may explain why the program was not published right away. The tape does include scenes on the bridge and engine room and scenes of Miami, Martinique, Barbados, Salvador, Rio, Cape Town, Mauritius, Kandy [sri Lanka], Taj Mahal, Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Bankok, Hong Kong, Korea, Tokyo, Honolulu, Acapulco, Panama Canal, Cartagena and Curacoa.

For those planning trips on the QE2, or for the just plain QE2 aficionados, I recommend you try and view this tape - it is how the Lady was 24 years ago and 12 years before her 1994 refit.

I should warn you however that the commentary on the video is atrocious: so bad that it is laughable. [Why do some cameramen believe that just because they can do one thing well, they also have the ability to write and narrate well?]

I found my copy of the tape [a Doug Jones Travelog] on an on-line auction site.

Chris

I guess you mean one of the Doug Jones tapes. There is also a New Zealand and Australia tape in the same series.

ebay is the place to look for these, there is a fairly steady for sale.

The Alan Wicker one is a good one. Don't forget documentaries Nota Bene's "Transatlantic Queen Elizabeth 2".

Does any one have a copy of the QE2 feature called "Dream Ride", they show it on board now and again but does not appear to have ever hit video.

IMHO the best video footage of QE2 from an early 1980's World QE2 Cruise is from the Alan Whicker Fast Boat to China Documentary
Wow! This is my earliest memory of the QE2 and left a *huge* impact on me even though I was only nine or ten at the time. I remember it showed the incredible wealth and luxury of the ship and made it seem *very* special indeed, as it was at the time. I remember the cast-off carpets getting thrown overboard?

I'd LOVE to see this again.

- Rob on Clydeside.

Originally Posted by rjms74

IMHO the best video footage of QE2 from an early 1980's World QE2 Cruise is from the Alan Whicker Fast Boat to China Documentary

- Rob on Clydeside.

I rather think we should all elect to join the Alan Whicker appreciation society!!!

• 2 years later...
Got the name wrong on the film I looking for, it's called "Magic Ride" by Universal, produced by James Archibald, written and directed by Don Higgins. Any more details welcome.

Sorry to bump this and that it's about 2 years late, but I was wondering if you ever found any details on this film. I've just been Googling it because i'm currently doing a PhD project on cruise films and recently watched "Magic Ride" at the Wessex Film Archive. It's pretty interesting as cruise films go, as is the involvement of Universal. Just thought i'd write here on the off-chance that anyone knew anything about the film/its availability.

Would have PMed but couldn't find the function!

Cheers in advance,

Phil

Hi Phil

Still have not managed to get a copy of the film. Interestingly on the QE2 40th Anniversary we had a presentation of it in the Theatre with one of the stars of the file Anna Betnick. I have a photo of her at the bottom of this page : QE2 40th Anniversary.

There was word that we would be able to secure a DVD but this never happened. It was interesting to hear Anna recolections of the filming, I think she was quite overwhelmed by people's interest.

Wow! This is my earliest memory of the QE2 and left a *huge* impact on me even though I was only nine or ten at the time. I remember it showed the incredible wealth and luxury of the ship and made it seem *very* special indeed, as it was at the time. I remember the cast-off carpets getting thrown overboard?

- Rob on Clydeside.

The bit about the carpets made me think about one of the passengers we met recently on the QV... he was a maintenance man on QE2 in the 70s and regailed us all with many interesting tales from his time on board. Quite often large areas of the ship would be updated mid-voyage - usually at night - and it was quite common for areas to be curtained off from prying eyes and large amounts of carpets and furniture simply hurled overboard!

Hi Phil

Still have not managed to get a copy of the film. Interestingly on the QE2 40th Anniversary we had a presentation of it in the Theatre with one of the stars of the file Anna Betnick. I have a photo of her at the bottom of this page : QE2 40th Anniversary.

There was word that we would be able to secure a DVD but this never happened. It was interesting to hear Anna recolections of the filming, I think she was quite overwhelmed by people's interest.

Thanks for that! Very interesting that they are still showing these films on special occasions. The film marks something of a narrative departure from material produced by P&O, Union Castle and Cunard themselves around the same time, so I'm quite keen to find out more and write about it. I love the 'horror' scene where Betnick's character finds herself within the ship mid-construction and runs away from the sparks of welding torches and the like! The music is also interesting (Manfred Mann and Sandy Denny's involvement particularly). I am surprised there appears to be so little about the film out there, but I intend to have a look in the Cunard Archive at Liverpool University after Sept 20th (it's closed for indexing at the moment) and see if I can spot anything.

When was the 40th Anniversary showing? Also, I don't suppose you know of any contacts for those who may have been responsible for screening the film? I'm on something of a detective work drive at the moment!

It's great to find someone who has seen this though - I've spent the last couple of years watching films it feels like no one has seen!

When was the 40th Anniversary showing? Also, I don't suppose you know of any contacts for those who may have been responsible for screening the film? I'm on something of a detective work drive at the moment!

It's great to find someone who has seen this though - I've spent the last couple of years watching films it feels like no one has seen!

There are a good number of QE2 regulars who know and remember this film. The viewing I mention was on the 40th Anniversary round Britain cruise 15-23 September 2007. From memory, they showed the film in the afternoon of 16th September.

There is the VHS version that they used to show quite regularly on board. On the 40th they had a new DVD cut which was a big improvment in quality over the tired video, I've not seen it shown again sadly.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

Just to let you all know, I managed to get a copy of 'Magic Ride' from the Wessex Film Archive in Winchester. It cost £15 and was transferred to a DVD for me.

A website for the place can be found here: http://www3.hants.gov.uk/wfsa.htm

The guy who deals with the archiving/transferral is called David Lee (david.lee@hants.gov.uk).

Additionally, i've been in touch with Michael Wadding (see above) and his documentary about the QE2 is in the final weeks of production. Apparently set to air Saturday Feb 28th on BBC2.

• 7 years later...