Avalon excursions in Prague and Vienna

lilli

Hoping someone who has traveled with Avalon to Prague and Vienna can help us!  We are on a Christmas Market cruise in December on the Danube, Nuremberg to Vienna.  We have a few days pre cruise in Prague booked through Avalon and two additional nights in Vienna at the end.  There is an included tour in Prague whose description says:  

CLASSIC Take a Guided City Walk to visit Hradčany Castle Grounds; see St. Vitus Cathedral, and Old Town’s Astronomical Clock.

We were hoping to determine if that was the extent of the tour?  We will have a couple days prior to this "tour" so would like to avoid duplicating sites.

In Vienna, the tour description states:  

CLASSIC Explore the Habsburg empire this morning on a Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the iconic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.

Spend free time on your own to enjoy the Christkindlesmarkt, or relax by the fire’s glow in a Viennese café.
You may join a Guided Optional Tour of Schönbrunn Palace—summer home of the Habsburg dynasty for 300 ye
ars.

I have contacted Avalon and my travel agent and they just send me the same description back.  

Thanks for any help!

I have done both tours with Avalon - but on different river cruises.

Ended a Christmas Market tour in Prague - we were bussed up to the castle  -looked around the grounds and saw the guards change as we were leaving. Saw Cathedral and went inside. Bussed back down and walked through Jewish area to Astronomical clock (saw it strike 11am). On our own from then. I think some folk chose to walk down from the castle. We were staying at The Intercontinental.

In Vienna we were bussed to the Opera House then walked to the Hofberg passed the stables. Then down the pedestrian streets to the Cathedral (did not go in). We left at this time as we had tickets to the Spanish riding school. 

If you really want to explore the castle grounds I would do it on my own and skip the tour.  You could spend all day up there and in the surrounding area.  If you just want a basic tour, then it's worth going with Avalon.  Prague is easily walkable (unless you have physical limitations) and so wonderful to explore on your own.  I would get up early to experience the Charles Bridge and Old Town before the crowds.  Remember that if you want to explore the Jewish Quarter, it will be closed on Saturday. 

If you want an amazing food tour while in Prague check out https://www.tasteofprague.com/

Great tour with history and interesting info about the city and it's people.  Worth the price.  You also get a digital food map and I think their guide book, also digital, with your tour. 

Honest Guide and Real Prague guides have great videos on the ins and outs of Prague.  How to use public transportation, how to avoid being scammed, where to change money, etc. 

Thanks—your thoughts are much appreciated! 
I was thinking that the included tour would likely be pretty superficial. 
also appreciate the food tour recommendation!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, lilli said:

Thanks—your thoughts are much appreciated! 
I was thinking that the included tour would likely be pretty superficial. 
also appreciate the food tour recommendation!

You are welcome.  Happy to help.  I've been to Prague a few times and love it.  Such a special city.  If you are into history, there's an old movie called Operation Daybreak.  Set in Prague and when you are there you can go to the church where the end of the movie is set.

If you get to the towers in town (Astronomical clock, Charles Bridge, etc) in the first hour they are open you can enter for half price.  If you get to the Golden Lane in the castle complex after 5 pm, it's free to walk down it.  Before then you have to pay. 

If you want a great photo tour check out:

https://www.johnnyspraguetours.com/

Used him on my last trip and my photos were amazing!

Edited by Rebel54
  • Like 1