Getting off the ship in Papeete

My husband and I will be going on a PG cruise later this month.  Everything is pretty well planned except for what to do after we get off the ship in the morning but don't fly home until almost midnight.  Has anyone done the PG tour and then day room at the Intercontinental?  If so, how was it?  Do you recall the price?  I can't find it on the PG website.  Any other ideas of how to spend the day and evening?  

Thanks for any words of wisdom.  Gail

We did that when it was included in the fare.  I think now it is very pricey.  Options seem to be to rent a car and tour around on your own, take a 3/4 day tour with a vendor, the day room as you mention or the day pass.  The day pass provides access to the resort, pool, etc. and usually includes lunch but not a room.   Both the IC and the Hilton have a shower you can use.  When we did the PG day room years ago we could not get into the room until 3 and had to be out by 7.

i would opt for a day pass.  You could also pay for the night at a pension to relax but you probably can’t get into the room until about 3.  

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Getting off the ship in Papeete

I don’t know the price of the day pass options through the cruise line. Our travel agent is researching pre and post cruise options for us. She was told we couldn’t purchase these through the cruise line until a year before we sail (which will be June for us), so she got 2024 pricing. The two night pre cruise stay for two in an oceanfront room at the Tahiti IC was $4,000. The three night post cruise stay for two in an overwater bungalow at the Moorea Sofitel was $6,000. Both include transfers and some meals. So far, it looks less expensive if booked directly (not through the cruise line).

If you are staying at the Ic on Tahiti a standard room is fine.  They are about $450-$500 a night including breakfast.  Transport from the airport or from the hotel to the cruise is about $25. The cost through the PG is crazy.

the rate for an OWB on Moorea at the Hilton ranges from about $800 to $1300 a night, depending upon season and how early you book.  The ferry is about $30 RT.  $6k for 3 nights is crazy expensive. 

• Thanks 1

We booked with TA for the Pre and Post Days with PG. The cost was $550/pp for Pre and $420/pp for Post. We booked two months ago. 

Hope that helps.  

For our July '22 cruise, we did pre- and post- packages with PG, both at the Intercontinental - Tahiti; the post- was in an overwater bungalow and included transfers from ship to the IC and the motorcoach tour that most passengers seemed to be on; also included a meal credit on both days (if I recall correctly); and transfer from IC to airport. Our thoughts about the post- package: We loved the OWB and consider that worthwhile! The biggest benefit was that PG was able to secure a late check out at no additional cost (though the base cost was significant). Other passengers who had booked direct had purchased the full additional night because flights leave so late from PPT. The motorcoach tour was on packed coaches, so we were not interested in getting stuck without window ventilation with people coughing & sneezing, etc. A cab driver took us to a rental car place and we drove the island ourselves with a tourist map (this was not worthwhile, IMO; it's a stark contrast from the cruise ports & excursion experiences which can be a little emotional,  and we were just tired from the port-intensive cruise and just wanted to check in at the hotel). For the included transfers to (and from) the airport, we also passed on these. A cab between the IC and PPT was about $25-30; very worthwhile. However, we did the transfer from IC to the ship on Embarkation Day and I thought it was fun to meet some other passengers right off the bat! I will also share that it's very easy to get a cab at the IC (of course 🙂) and we LOVED the food at the IC (food is such a personal thing, but FWIW). Not sure if it was COVID-related or ongoing, but we also couldn't enter the airport before 6pm (I think) and the outer retail area was all closed. When we could enter the airport, the ATN Lounge is the only one available (they do allow United first class to use it) and it's pretty bare bones.  

Learning from that experience, we are returning in July '24. Knowing that we just want to get home after a long and port-intensive cruise, we got our OWB as a pre- and we didn't need any special arrangements... so we booked it direct. After the cruise, we'll just get a cab to the IC where we booked day passes direct and access begins at 10am. They require reservations for the day passes, as they have a limited number available. You can email the IC directly, but here is the info I received in early January:

We would like to thank you for your email and your interest toward the InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa. 

Further your request, we are pleased to present you our different offers for a day pass: 

The Lotus Pool Day Pass – Available everyday 

Includes access to the pool area from 10.00am to 5.00pm with a lunch at the gourmet restaurant Le Lotus from 12.00 to 2.00pm: main course + dessert a la carte. 

Weekday rate, Monday to Thursday : 9 500xpf per person 

Weekend rate (Friday to Sunday): 11 200xpf per person 

The Tiare Pool Day Pass + Lunch – Available everyday [the most popular] 

Includes access to the pool area from 10.00am to 5.00pm with a lunch at the main restaurant Te Tiare: main course + dessert a la carte.  

Weekday rate, Monday to Friday: 8 500xpf per person 

Weekend rate (Saturday and Sunday) and public holidays: 10 500xpf per person 

The Tiare Pool Day Pass + American Breakfast – Available from Monday to Saturday 

Includes access to the pool area from 10.00am to 5.00pm with an American Breakfast at Te Tiare restaurant available from 6.30 to 10.30am. 

Weekday rate, Monday to Friday: 8 500xpf per person 

Rate for Saturday and public holidays: 10 500xpf per person 

The Tiare Pool Day Pass + Tahitian Brunch - Available only on Sunday
Includes access to the pool area from 10.00am to 5.00pm with our Tahitian Brunch at Te Tiare restaurant, available from 7.00 to 10.30am with a traditional dance show at 8.30am. 

Rate : 10 500xpf per person. 

Beverage and transfer are not included 

Payment can be made directly on site, upon arrival 

-50% off for children from 4 to 11 years old 

Please find below the link giving you access to our restaurants menu:  

Te Tiare: https://en.calameo.com/read/004500545519b4ff52a44             

Le Lotus: https://en.calameo.com/read/0045005451cf07f310609 

As we have a limited number of day passes, reservations are mandatory. 

For a possible reservation, please let us know at what time you would like to book a table at the restaurant for breakfast or lunch. 

• Thanks 1