Santorini on own from cruise ship

getawaygirl

Hi everyone! We will be in Santorini on May 28 (Odyssey Ship) from @1 to 9pm. Most ship tours are already booked. We plan on getting water taxi on our own to head over to Amoudi Bay. (We want to avoid long line at cable car and we would never ride poor donkeys!) Anyway, I'm assuming we should be able to catch a shuttle/bus to Oia, and when we're done exploring, I'm hoping we can catch a bus/shuttle back to Fira. We plan on walking back down on our own. Does this seem feasible? If so do we need local cash or do buses/shuttles  take credit cards? Should we add any other sights? Recommendations for dinks/appies with a nice view would be a bonus!! Thanks for any info

Posted (edited)

Your plan seems feasible. You will need to get a tender from the ship to the Old Port where you can get the boat to Ammoudi Bay. You may have to wait a while as they wait until the boat is full before leaving. Once at Ammoudi Bay there is a bus that takes you up to Oia which was included in the boat price. Once you have finished in Oia you can get their bus back to Fira which also was included in the boat price. Make sure you get instructions of how to use their buses and the timings when you buy your boat tickets.

If you decide to use a local bus to go somewhere they only accept Euros in cash and they like you to have the exact or close to the exact change. They will for example not be happy with a €20 note and may not accept it.

The views from Oia are wonderful though it will probably be very crowded. We had some fantastic gelato there a few years ago but I can't remember the name of the shop and there are some lovely shops and bars and restaurants.

Once back in Fira there are lovely views if you walk along the cliff path, plenty of shops and also many bars and restaurants. Sorry, I don't have any recommendations as I can't remember where we have stopped previously. 

I have walked down the stairs twice with no issues at all. It can be very hot so wear a hat, have water with you and you need to watch out for donkeys coming up the path. When the donkeys come just move to the side of the path so that they can get past you. The steps can be slippery so wear decent shoes and watch your step. The views are great as you go down the path and you can go as fast or slow as you like. It takes us about 30 to 40 minutes but we like to stop to take photos. We find it better than waiting in a long line to get the cable car.

Hope you have a great cruise! 🛳️

Edited by PurpleTraveller

In past yrs, the water taxi fare included a shuttle ride up the hill to Oia.

BUT before you board the shuttle, look across the bay to where there are steps leading up the hill.  Last yr someone posted that at the bottom of the steps there were 2 small boats offering rides BACK to the Old Port, the tender dock.  They even took reservations.   If those boats are available you could avoid the entire cable car nightmare.

p.s. the bus from Oia to Fira is often full, even beyond standing room.  When there's no more standing room, the bus leaves and you wait for the next one.  So allow wiggle room for your return.

(KTEL is the bus company. They have a web site with prices/schedule)

I can confirm that last October when I was there, the water taxi did include the shuttle ride up the hill to Oia. If you want to catch the bus to Oia, I have directions on how to find the bus station in Oia in my blog post - look at my "How to Get from Fira to Oia by Public Bus" - it's essentially the same trip the other way around. Have a great cruise! 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/santorini-cruise-port-diy-shore-excursion-guide