Seattle is #9 in Top Destinations for Summer 2024 (Google)

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/google-reveals-top-destinations-summer-2024/story?id=109039181

For anyone feeling a sudden urge for summer wanderlust, Google unveiled its top 20 destinations that travelers have already taken an interest in for any upcoming warm weather getaways.

From domestic to international locations, Google shared insights based on past flight booking data and search trends with "Good Morning America" to help people start planning summer vacation spots or shape an ideal itinerary.

1. London
2. Paris
3. Tokyo
4. Rome
5. New York
6. Cancun
7. Orlando
8. Las Vegas
9. Seattle
10. Athens

So, for all those folks who ask if they can make a 10 AM flight after getting off a cruise ship at 7:30 AM, this is one on the reasons that it is impossible - SeaTac is just super busy during the summer months.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

So, for all those folks who ask if they can make a 10 AM flight after getting off a cruise ship at 7:30 AM, this is one on the reasons that it is impossible - SeaTac is just super busy during the summer months.

I love to travel -- but if you look at my travel schedule, I don't fly out of SEA from June through September unless I have to. 1) This is the best part of the year for Seattle - where most days don't top 80, never rains, and nights get down into 50s. 2) The absolute zoo that is flying out of SEA during cruise season.  If you're disembarking on the days where we have 3 cruises disembarking the same day - don't book anything before noon so you can utilize Port Valet, saving yourself 45minutes-1 hour in bag drop at least, and give your self time to get down to the airport (you need to cut through rush hour traffic), and give yourself time to not ruin the experience of your amazing Alaska cruise by trying to get on the next (oversold) flight.  

Utilize Port Valet for all eligible flights after noon, or Pack a Carry on only if you must take a flight before noon, use Space Saver SEA if you don't have PreCheck, pack your patience, and enjoy the Pacific Northwest 🙂

Also, a GREAT reminder if you're planning on flying to SEA to take the train up to Vancouver BC (or vice versa) - BOOK YOUR TRAIN TICKETS NOW. They sell out quickly, and Amtrak rewards you the earlier you book. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 1

I might as well ask my question here.  😃

We are sailing to Alaska out of Seattle the end of May.  We will be staying in Seattle for 5 days after the cruise.  My question is this, what will temperatures/weather be early to mid June.  Trying to figure out how to pack.  Thanks.

The most factual answer is to check statistical sites tracking many years of data (I like Weatherspark)

The most sensible answer is that it's irrelevant! If you have already packed sufficient layers for Alaska, you have automatically packed clothing that will handle Seattle weather as is basically the same just slightly warmer!

What you need for AK is sufficient layers to handle the coldest likely weather minus an extra 10C/15F or so to account for windchill on a moving ship/being parked next to a glacier for a while. Plus thin gloves and a toque - ears and fingers get nippy with wind or nearby ice - that you can pick up in a Dollar Store (the 'one size fits none' thin stretchy fleecy jobs are perfect, virtually weightless and roll up into a tiny bundle you can stuff in a jacket pocket).

But 5 days in Seattle... no temptation for a side-trip? Get out onto the Olympic Peninsula? Nip up or down the coast to Vancouver or Portland by train?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, martincath said:

The most factual answer is to check statistical sites tracking many years of data (I like Weatherspark)

The most sensible answer is that it's irrelevant! If you have already packed sufficient layers for Alaska, you have automatically packed clothing that will handle Seattle weather as is basically the same just slightly warmer!

What you need for AK is sufficient layers to handle the coldest likely weather minus an extra 10C/15F or so to account for windchill on a moving ship/being parked next to a glacier for a while. Plus thin gloves and a toque - ears and fingers get nippy with wind or nearby ice - that you can pick up in a Dollar Store (the 'one size fits none' thin stretchy fleecy jobs are perfect, virtually weightless and roll up into a tiny bundle you can stuff in a jacket pocket).

But 5 days in Seattle... no temptation for a side-trip? Get out onto the Olympic Peninsula? Nip up or down the coast to Vancouver or Portland by train?

I'm not going to lie, I had to look up what a Toque was.  😂

I do have cap and gloves on the packing list, as well as layering. I was just wondering if the temp was that much warmer than AK to justify a pair of shorts.  😃

When we get back from the cruise, Seattle will just be our home base for trips around the area/region.  

Thanks for the Weatherspark recommendation.  

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 1

We were on a cruise ship early last May '23 out of Vancouver, BC and it was unseasonable warm.  I really regretted not having at least one pair of capris and a short sleeve shirt with me.

Also, sometimes we (Seattle) have very cold mornings due to Marine Layer, which is a weather inversion that traps cold air.  There has been more than a few mornings when Pier 91 is so cold due to this marine air layer.  You may see pier side staff all layered up, including hats and gloves.  It's usually gone by 10-10:30 AM, but until then, it is chilly.