Currency for a Canadian to Take on a Mexican Riviera Cruise

I normally just bring USD, as any Mexican ports will accept USD. I also have a credit card with no exchange fees so that if possible I just use my credit card and have it billed back in CAD.

Ship will use US currency, so bring some for tips etc..  If you choose to use US currency on-shore in Mexico, you will get dinged twice with exchange (once to US, once to Pesos). We choose to bring some Pesos for use on shore, and then also have a no-fx fee credit card.

Posted (edited)

Simply when you are in the US use an ATM to get some $USD.  Far cheaper for exchange.  A bank charges about 10%+.

On board you will need no cash.  Most shops in tourist areas accept credit cards.

You should have no need for Mexican Pesos.  They are always happy with $USD.  We live a few miles from the border.  Never use anything except credit card from stores and a bit of cash for street vendors.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

I think you may want to check the Mexican Riviera group. People go back and forth on whether to bring pesos. I brought them and it was helpful. We stopped in a really awful bathroom in PV and had to pay in pesos. We were buying souvenirs and the vendor discouraged us from using a credit card. YMMV

• Like 1

Yep--maybe not as controversial atopic as dining room dress codes...  I have been to Mexico on cruises many times and have never had or used any Mexican money.  Everything has been US dollars or credit cards.  It has never been a problem for us.

Posted (edited)

we have always found pesos are best. you can take US but the street folks do not give a good rate LOL pesos are easy no trying to figure out is 100 pesos 1 dollar or ? 

i always find it best to use the countries currency if you can way less hassle and more respectful 

Dan 

Edited by Gail & Dan
  • Like 1