Currents in May along the coast around Barcelona

I can sometimes do without a scopolamine patch if currents aren't too strong.  This next cruise is new territory for me, so I don't know if I need the Rx.

We'll be on a small ship/ yacht during the first half of May.  The cruise is RT Barcelona, spanning the coast between Peniscola and Sete, deviating out to Menorca and Mallorca. 

Can anyone suggest how strong the currents might be?  At first I assuming calm waters since we're pretty much hugging the coast, but I have no experience in the Mediterranean.  Thanks!  

On 4/14/2024 at 3:09 PM, mlmdaisy said:

I can sometimes do without a scopolamine patch if currents aren't too strong.  This next cruise is new territory for me, so I don't know if I need the Rx.

We'll be on a small ship/ yacht during the first half of May.  The cruise is RT Barcelona, spanning the coast between Peniscola and Sete, deviating out to Menorca and Mallorca. 

Can anyone suggest how strong the currents might be?  At first I assuming calm waters since we're pretty much hugging the coast, but I have no experience in the Mediterranean.  Thanks!  

The Med has not given us much of a problem in our 8 cruises - unless there has been a storm.  We have been in big ships though.   I think your best advice would come from the company running the cruise - or the crew itself.  Why don’t you take the prescription anyway and ask for advice when you are on board 

Thank you for the reassurance.  That's what I'm hoping to do, but I need a doctor's visit (mine retired) to get a new Rx.  I can call Atlas, but they're a new cruise line and the agents I've spoken to so far only have experience on their Antarctica itineraries (someday........)    An alternative is to bring Dramamine. 

I'll add that one disadvantage of the smaller ship companies is that they switch up their itineraries so often that personnel often have no experience with the more obscure ports.  That certainly adds to the adventure.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mlmdaisy said:

Thank you for the reassurance.  That's what I'm hoping to do, but I need a doctor's visit (mine retired) to get a new Rx.  I can call Atlas, but they're a new cruise line and the agents I've spoken to so far only have experience on their Antarctica itineraries (someday........)    An alternative is to bring Dramamine. 

I'll add that one disadvantage of the smaller ship companies is that they switch up their itineraries so often that personnel often have no experience with the more obscure ports.  That certainly adds to the adventure.

There is nothing obscure about any Mediterranean port.

The currents in the Med are not very strong. The tides are small.  The winds are the big factor.

The mistral winds blow mostly in the winter and early spring, although you can have a day or so of mistral in the summer.

The simoun winds from Africa blow mostly in the summer.  You will know them because everything will be covered with a thin layer of sand from the Sahara.

Both cause very choppy water.

"You can't predict the weather."

Bring your seasickness remedies and use them if needed. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

Thank you for the explanation.  I will come prepared.  I didn't mean to offend by using the term "obscure",  These are wonderful little cities we will be visiting.  They are just not on other cruise itineraries and it's difficult to find information for DIY planning very easily. 

No offense taken. Just pointing out that they and the currents would not be obscure to a professional ship's crew. But maybe so to other staff

Enjoy your cruise.