Please Assist With Alaska Cruise

MtnSeaGirl

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were in the Falklands in 2015 while on a B2B2B which included Antarctica.  If your reference to air fare is in reference to a trip the the Falklands (at least in 2015) the only flights to Port Stanley were a weekly flight to and from Heathrow and another weekly flight from Chile.  The air fare into Buenos Aires is generally reasonable (even in business class) so cruises out of BA are an option.

We're cruising out of BA, but it wasn't exactly what I would consider reasonable since it costs about the same amount as our entire 14-day cruise in a club balcony stateroom.  Totally worth the upgrade to business class though, as we'll get to spend time in the airport lounge in Miami, as well as getting meals on the flights. YOLO! 😁👍

Edited by afn10305
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, royal3 said:

When your ship pulls into Skagway there is a rock hillside that has been painted by multiple visiting ship crews with their visit date, and logos. It is a neat history of the visits. We then walk around town for a while before heading on a self booked shore excursion (Shore Excursion Group -  Yukon Klondike Adventure by bus, Puppy Camp, and Lunch - $165 pp). As you take the bus ride to the Yukon, there is a very good chance you will see some bears. Have done this several times. 

cruise-ship-rock-mural.jpg

I don't know how many are still there. I docked last year at the other dock. There was a rock slide 2 years ago (I think). It appears some are still there.

image.thumb.jpeg.cf91f04a4a53cae538042ef66da53ce6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this thread as I'm just starting to research Alaska cruises. It's a bit overwhelming when you're totally new to this area. We also have done lots of cruises to the Caribbean and Canada.  But never Alaska.

I feel like I've already learned a lot but I have a couple questions.  Hope it's OK to tag them onto this string. 

This will be a graduation trip for my son in 2026. There will be 4 of us. I believe we're narrowing it down to Celebrity and Princess.  And I think we're leaning towards a cruise tour.  From this string I think we would prefer going southbound, one way, and making sure it goes through the inside passage. 

What specifically is better about Princess from other cruise lines in AK? I understand they've been going there a long time. But is there something that gives it an edge if the itineraries are essentially the same?  The reason I'm asking is because the Princess ships that go to AK seem to be there older ships and look a little dated. Not a huge deal to us but the Celebrity ships looks a little newer and nicer.  Just curious what the thoughts are on that?

Thank you!!!

Can I put my 2cents in. Our first Alaskan cruise was a just a  cruise, It was nice, but we felt we didn't really get to see Alaska. Our second cruise was a land  tour with the cruise first then the land tour. We came home exhausted not relaxed like we had hoped for. The  one we are planning for now is land tour first then the cruise.We are hoping for a return to regular life without exhaustion. I for sure would try to see some of the interior of Alaska if you take a cruise. You won't be sad that you did.Happy planning.