Excursion lunch place suggestions.

Shella73

Hi, I booked 4 excursions with Italy Tours.EU. There is a core group of 6 couples I know of going on many of these excursions and a group of 8 joining that group for at least one. As a group, we are wondering what might be some recommendations for lunch near each of our tour destinations.  The tour company recommends you choose a non-sit-down (aka fast food, pizzeria type) lunch for excursions. We were wondering what you guys had found to be good.

Thanks.

1) From the port of Messina: A trip up Mt. Etna, lunch will be in Taormina on the way down.

2) From Naples: To Pompeii, lunch in Sorrento

3)From Livorno: Pisa/Florence, Lunch in Florence

4) From Villefranche: Does not mention where the lunch stop is, I will ask in the correct port forum.

They recommend a fast food type meal because you have so little time.  You'll probably have the most time in Taormina, the other two days involve so much time on the road that your time in each location will be limited.

I remember having good meals in Taormina in a couple of places off the main street but I don't remember the names of the places unfortunately.  You almost have to get off the main street as during season it becomes a river of people.

One option to consider for your Naples stop, assuming that Pompei is in the morning and Sorrento in the afternoon, is to forget about the bus or van back to the port even though you've already paid for it.  Take the ferry, which will get you there in half the time (45 minutes vs. 60 - 90 by land) and be a much more pleasant journey.  The other benefit is that it allows you the time to have a nice sit-down lunch in Sorrento.  Note that this is only an option if you have a later departure time, the late afternoon ferry departs Sorrento at 4:25 PM and arrives to Naples at 5:15 PM.

Here's my favorite restaurant in Sorrento:  Sorrento Restaurant Buffalo Mozzarella Food and Drink InnBufalito