Ultimate balcony dining - too cold on Alaska cruise?

Nily D

Hi all,

I've been reading some great reviews of the ultimate balcony dining. Sounds amazing!

My question is whether it would be too cold to eat dinner on the balcony on a June cruise to Alaska? We are on the Ruby on an Inside Passage cruise round trip to/from Vancouver. The dates are June 11-18.

If not too cold, should we pick day where we are in port until later (eg., we are at Juneau until 10pm and Haines until 8:30pm), or one where we are sailing (Vancouver leaving 4pm or Ketchikan leaving 6pm)? I think it would be less windy/cold if the ship is stationery?

TIA for any advice!!

16 minutes ago, Nily D said:

Hi all,

I've been reading some great reviews of the ultimate balcony dining. Sounds amazing!

My question is whether it would be too cold to eat dinner on the balcony on a June cruise to Alaska? We are on the Ruby on an Inside Passage cruise round trip to/from Vancouver. The dates are June 11-18.

If not too cold, should we pick day where we are in port until later (eg., we are at Juneau until 10pm and Haines until 8:30pm), or one where we are sailing (Vancouver leaving 4pm or Ketchikan leaving 6pm)? I think it would be less windy/cold if the ship is stationery?

TIA for any advice!!

Definitely, while in port is a good idea.  We did it for Juneau and it was 82 that day in early June.  So hard to know.  Haines would be a pretty backdrop.

We have booked it, checked the weather, and then changed it a couple of times.  We haven’t had a problem doing that.  Just called RS to change it.  

• Like 1

Here is another suggestion you might want to consider which we have done a couple of times. Not sure what day or hours your scenic Glacier cruising is - I'm assuming it's Glacier Bay. Usually you arrive fairly early in the morning and are there for 5 - 6 hours, departing in the afternoon.

We have done the Ultimate Balcony Breakfasts on those days and eaten on our balcony. It can be cold, but as long as it isn't raining, you can bundle up and enjoy a fabulous breakfast while watching the views.

In terms of your schedule and a good night for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner - I would suggest Ketchikan as a good option. You could schedule it for 5 p.m., when you will still be in port for the first hour of your dinner, and the sail away from Ketchikan is pretty protected for the first 30 minutes to an hour until you get back into open ocean.

I just booked it for one of our evenings on our Norway cruise this summer - similar weather concerns, but we will make it work whatever the weather brings. It sounds absolutely amazing!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, great ideas! I think we can order room service breakfast any day right? Definitely sound like a great idea on our Glacier Bay day.

How long does the dinner usually take? I like the idea of spending half of it while in port and the other half as the ship is leaving. We've never been on a cruise, but live across the street from the overflow cruise pier, and I'm always fascinated seeing the ships leave port.

Also, do I need to pre-book or can I wait until the cruise starts so we get a better sense of the weather?

Edited by Nily D