Connect HDMI device to TV on Celebrity Eclipse

italnsd

5 minutes ago, jlburke said:

But, I'm very concerned now about our upcoming cruise because we really need to be able to access a couple of things from our computer to our tv during our cruise.   Is there really no way that an HDMI can be connected to the tv's on the Eclipse?  

I’m truly curious what can’t be done on the computer without mirroring the TV screen? 

I'm sorry, but I truly am "technologically-challenged" and so I guess I just worded my question wrong.  My husband founded a company during his career and, during that time, he designed equipment that was used in an annual sports event.  That event is very near and dear to him and he attended that event on many occasions.  He just turned 80 years old and has limited mobility now and uses a walker to get around.  I know this is a long story, but basically we are wanting to watch this sports event on the tv screen and not on our small computer screens or phones.  

The gold/yellow looking plug in the first pic is a right angled hdmi plug which is the source feed from the ship. Unplug that, then plug your own private (Firestick or what ever) into that slot. No need to change inputs on the front of the tv (because you can't). When your finished watching your private source, replug that adapter back in where it belongs to watch cruise ship programming. I just got off the Reflection this morning. That is what I had to do......easy peasy.

Not sure this will help since the OP is currently on board, but we bought an inexpensive GE universal remote from Amazon that works with the on board tvs. Have used it on dozens of cruises with no hiccups to override the tvs default settings and access the hdmi ports.

• 1 month later...

Just off eclipse 5/26 sailing. 

1.  The tv has accessible inputs for AV and HDMI.   

2.  The Samsung tv remote does not offer Input (source) choices

3.  I brought a universal programmable remote.  It was easy to sync it to the tv

4.  This remote brought up the tv's input menu, so I could switch to AV.  The remote also worked all tv functions.  Very handy.  

5.  I plugged my portable dv player in.  Everything worked great.  My Sony DVP is excellent.  I played all sorts of prerecorded dvds (Science channel shows, Poirot, movies, etc).

6.  Having only the basic wifi package, my Fire TV stick did NOT work.

7.  In Bermuda, our TMobile plan gave us cellular service. Still, Fire TV was very limited.  YouTube not working for example.  

I was EXTREMELY pleased with these results.  The X tv lineup was as limited as ever.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barric said:

3.  I brought a universal programmable remote.  It was easy to sync it to the tv

4.  This remote brought up the tv's input menu, so I could switch to AV.  The remote also worked all tv functions.  Very handy.  

5.  I plugged my portable dv player in.  Everything worked great.  My Sony DVP is excellent.  I played all sorts of prerecorded dvds (Science channel shows, Poirot, movies, etc).

7.  In Bermuda, our TMobile plan gave us cellular service. Still, Fire TV was very limited.  YouTube not working for example.  

I was EXTREMELY pleased with these results.  The X tv lineup was as limited as ever.  

I too pack a universal remote along with multiple angled HDMI adapters to cover the varying HDMI locations on the TV.

13 hours ago, barric said:

Should I expect that this would work to hook up a Nintendo Switch as well?

We are sailing at the end of the month and we have a person that will be spending their downtime in the cabin w/ their Switch. It isn't the end of the world if it cannot connect to the tv, but if it is as simple as bringing a universal programmable remote ...we can do that.

(Yes I know there are a lot of things to do around the ship instead of video games ..they however involve people and the energy to deal with those people. Downtime is essential here and we are doing all we can to make them comfortable.)

Does Switch use AV cable or HDMI to connect to a tV?   It so, you will be able to select that input. Not sure about bluetooth.

2 hours ago, barric said:

Does Switch use AV cable or HDMI to connect to a tV?   It so, you will be able to select that input. Not sure about bluetooth.

HDMI

We are prepared to bring a remote, existing dock & cables, as well as a HDMI to VGA cable to make sure we have whatever is needed to make it work. Dh is an IT guy so we just have to pack what we already have. 😎

On 4/22/2024 at 1:29 PM, DaKahuna said:

We are going on Millennium and I had no issue getting my device hooked up to the TV in our Sky Suite -- the issue I ran into is there was no power outlet that I could access on the wall where the TV was located.  The TV and the Mini-fridge were plugged into them. 

For our upcoming cruise, I am considering using a multi outlet plug to connect my FireTV power adapter and the TV. Just have to see what our room attendant does if I do that. 

Two alternatives....

1.  I always ask for an extension cord.... oops... John.... that's too easy.

2.  I Plug my Firestick or Roku into the USB port.   No problem running these device from the USB. 

• Like 1

Are any of the buttons on the side "Source".      First of all you need to plug in your device and have it powered up.    If a source button press repeatedly until source you have device plugged into.    If one of them says Menu --- select menu -- then select up and down until you get to source.   You will probably ten press the up and down until you get to your source.

To OP --- I've heard from a number of people that had that remote and they just asked their room attendant for the other one with the CC button and Menu button on it.

They received one quickly.

We will be going on the Summit in the aft family veranda soon.  I read that it doesn't have many tv stations or movies to choose from so I bought a new iPad 10th generation and downloaded 30 movies for our 2 weeks.  I bought a 6 foot usb-c to hdmi cable.  Is that all I need?  What else should I bring so that we can watch these movies at night?