Glacier viewing in Alaska - Mendenhall Glacier tour vs. viewing from ship in Glacier Bay

Spend the first sea day going around to spot out the best spots. Consider all types of weather, entering and exiting the glaciers, and look for spots that others might not find. One HAL ship had a great deck that the access was through the gym. 

17 hours ago, SightCRR said:

One HAL ship had a great deck that the access was through the gym.

Shhhhh.....

BTW - I have found my fellow Pax to be notably gracious and courteous in sharing rail space during glacier viewings - even offering to give me a turn at the prime spots, or scrunching over to make room. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rbelshaw said:

Shhhhh.....

BTW - I have found my fellow Pax to be notably gracious and courteous in sharing rail space during glacier viewings - even offering to give me a turn at the prime spots, or scrunching over to make room. 

Ditto on this! It was really nice to see the shared excitement inspiring folks to share space so nicely. 

• Like 1

Has anyone here been to the Columbia Icefield in the Rockies in Alberta Canada and have also seen the Mendenhall glacier?  I've been on the Columbia Icefield and feel like it would be a similar experience to going on the Mendenhall Glacier, but curious if anyone has experienced both?

2 hours ago, WpgMBCruiser said:

Has anyone here been to the Columbia Icefield in the Rockies in Alberta Canada and have also seen the Mendenhall glacier?  I've been on the Columbia Icefield and feel like it would be a similar experience to going on the Mendenhall Glacier, but curious if anyone has experienced both?

I've been to both but have not been "on" Mendenhall.  They're similar but different is the best I can say.  Of course, Columbia Icefields is unique because you're driven onto the glacier in the Snowcoach.  I agree with Crystalspin in that Mendenhall, from a distance, is just okay (kind of like viewing Columbia from the Visitor Centre across the highway).  Both are nice to see once, maybe again in ten+ years so one can see how/if it has receded.  I didn't need a lot of time to see Mendenhall.  I'm sure a helicopter landing on the glacier would be far superior to viewing from a distance but that wasn't in my budget and, frankly, I would choose to see whales too, just because I never get to see whales in landlocked Alberta!

• Like 1