Power adapter and converter for London

Posted (edited)

My wife and I plan to spend a few days in London (first time there) after our cruise and wondering if we need a surge protecter power converter and adapter to charge our electronics. Will the cruise lines confiscate it at boarding? We have a non-surge power strip for use on the ship. Thank you.

Edited by travelbuds

I've never used a surge protector in 30 years of travel to Europe, including the UK. 

What kind of electronics? Do they charge by USB? Can they charge by USB even if they have an adapter? What's the voltage of your adapter(s)?

In almost all circumstances (US purchased Braun Oral B toothbrushes being one notorious exception) your charging adapter is 110V - 240V 50/60hz. If so, the most you'll need is a plug adapter, Type A/B (US) to Type G (UK). That's a different plug than the standard European continental Type C/F adapter. Honestly, I wouldn't take anything that actually required a voltage converter.

If your devices will charge by USB, then take a USB charging hub and some cables.

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

I've never used a surge protector in 30 years of travel to Europe, including the UK. 

What kind of electronics?

If your devices will charge by USB, then take a USB charging hub and some cables.

Thank you.

Just taking iPods, tablets, phones, and cameras. When is your southbound Summit? We are on a northbound in June. Have only done southbounds in past so thought we'd try something different. First time on Celebrity.

2 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

Thank you.

Just taking iPods, tablets, phones, and cameras. When is your southbound Summit? We are on a northbound in June. Have only done southbounds in past so thought we'd try something different. First time on Celebrity.

May 31st. Early season so hoping for the best on weather.

What kind of tablets, phones, and cameras? If they use any of the standard connectors (Lightning, USB C, micro USB, etc.) they're really easy to charge off of a hub; you just need cables if you don't already have them. The charging hubs are all multi-voltage. I have a USB C battery charger that will charge 2 camera batteries for my Sony at the same time, and can also plug into the hub. That cuts down on space, and all I need to do is grab the right plug adapter for where I'm traveling. All of that can be found on Amazon and they're not that expensive. That's assuming you don't already have everything I'm talking about!

Not an electrician or electrical engineer, but I'm not sure a US surge protector can safely be used on a UK circuit even if you step it down with a converter. And I don't think using the surge protector after stepping the current down is a great idea. As I say, I've never used one and have never had issues. 

The typical cheapie surge protector has an internal part [a metal oxide varisistor] that shunts the live leg of the circuit to ground if about 130 volts are exceeded. This is typically a one time event for the life of the suppressor [MOV is fried, even if the power strip's circuit breaker or fuse trips] - and the reason why these devices are dangerous anywhere except north american domestic power outlets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, markeb said:

May 31st. Early season so hoping for the best on weather.

What kind of tablets, phones, and cameras?

You will be getting off the day we board, June 7th. Going in early for 3 days in Vancouver. Past 2 trips--no rain. We bring layers and top it off with rain jacket. Samsung tablets and phones charge with USB, Sony camera chargers plug directly into wall and travel toothbrushes use regular alkaline batteries. Looks like we just need a plug adapter.

Hope you have a good cruise!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, travelbuds said:

Sony camera chargers plug directly into wall and travel

You can probably get a USB battery charger for the Sony batteries if you want to. I have an a6500 and the batteries are notorious for running down, so I travel with several batteries. But if you don't have that issue, you'll just have to rotate plugs. And carry two adapters if you need to charge everything at the same time.

One tip in the UK: The outlets are switched. At the outlet. There will be a little switch on the outlet and you have to flip that switch to get power. It "may" be on when you first plug  in, but that's not the desired position.

We're doing 3 days in Denali and two days in Seward pre-cruise to take the train. Spending our debarkation day in Vancouver. 

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

You can probably get a USB battery charger for the Sony batteries if you want to. I have an a6500 and the batteries are notorious for running down, so I travel with several batteries. But if you don't have that issue, you'll just have to rotate plugs. And carry two adapters if you need to charge everything at the same time.

One tip in the UK: The outlets are switched. At the outlet. There will be a little switch on the outlet and you have to flip that switch to get power. It "may" be on when you first plug  in, but that's not the desired position.

We're doing 3 days in Denali and two days in Seward pre-cruise to take the train. Spending our debarkation day in Vancouver. 

I have an older Sony a77II and start off with 3 fully charged batteries. Did Denali 2 years ago--3 nights with Princess. Clear sky with no clouds for entire time. Great! We have done Kenai Fjords boat tours a couple of times in Seward. Enjoyed the train ride from Denali. Have fun! And thanks again.