RCCL - Chankanaab Day Pass with Lunch and Drinks

wido78

We will be in port this coming July on the Wonder of the Seas and recently booked this excursion.

I was also contemplating booking a cabana at Cabana Beach.  Curious if the bar that is close to Cabana beach is included in the "drink pass" that is provided with RCCL excursion.

Also curious as to any other feedback on Chankanaab or Cabana Beach.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, wido78 said:

We will be in port this coming July on the Wonder of the Seas and recently booked this excursion.

I was also contemplating booking a cabana at Cabana Beach.  Curious if the bar that is close to Cabana beach is included in the "drink pass" that is provided with RCCL excursion.

Also curious as to any other feedback on Chankanaab or Cabana Beach.

Thanks in advance.

Cabana beach is at the far end of Chankanaab.

Look at a park map and you will see the locations. The lunch is at the restaurant by the pool. Unless you got a good sale price (we booked it once for that reason and it includes taxi fare) on the excursion i wouldn’t buy both.

You need to do the math - you are paying twice for entrance.

It is quite simple to go to Chankanaab independently. Cabana Beach prices have increased significantly since cruising resumed. You can always go into the park to pick which location you eat at if you don’t want to buy from the Cabana location. I am not sure if Cabana pass entitles you to use the pool if that is important - you have to be careful what is included in its limited park access - it is a discounted pass but has reduced amenities.

The cruise ship excursion is limited to one plate from the buffet. It is adequate but nothing special. Some people complain. Unless ye excursion price is good I would just go independently and pick my own food and drink or book through Cabana and arrange your own taxi. If I remember correctly the pass is 2 - 3 drinks?(ETA I see it is unlimited from a limited menu.)

Several recent reviews on this forum through the search engine.

Edited by c-leg5

• 3 weeks later...

We just visited Chankanaab on our own -- not with the excursion.  I'd recommend you drop the excursion and go this route: 

- We docked at the International Pier and caught a taxi, which is very easy:  Walk through the shops -- I think they had signs because we had zero trouble finding our way to the taxi station.  Taxis were waiting in line and an expediter was organizing people -- you can't go wrong.  A big board lists the taxi prices, so you know you're not going to get ripped off. 

- Tickets are available at the door.  I think it was $25/adult -- it was just us /no kids. 

- When we left (in the pouring rain) again taxis a-plenty were waiting for us and an expediter was organizing people -- sending big groups to vans, couples to smaller taxis. 

- NO REASON to pay anyone to organize an excursion for this trip. 

Although it poured rain for half our visit, we absolutely loved Chankanaab and would go back in a heartbeat.  Details: 

- They have loads of nice loungers along the beach -- hammocks too -- you can find sun or shade.  We didn't even consider a paid spot. 

- The ocean, however, is rough and not child-appropriate.  You have to take stairs down into the water.  Or jump off the dock.  EXCEPT for a small inlet of ocean water where children could play.  They also have a fairly large pool.  Someone above questioned access to the pool -- it isn't closed off in any way; if you're in the park, you will have access to the pool.  

- We enjoyed the Sea Lion show and agreed we'd love to bring our grandson back to see it.  

- We enjoyed the walking trail and the replica Mayan village -- that was a highlight for us.  

- Because we'd been eating so much on the ship, we only had drinks -- they were good and prices were reasonable.  Since it rained and we left early, I'm glad we didn't pay for food ahead of time.  Multiple bars are placed along the beach -- one with big swings instead of chairs.  

- We didn't see the dolphins or use the kayaks, but those things (and more) are available.  The pouring rain made us cut our trip short; we would've taken advantage of more, if not for that.  

- The large bath house was clean.  I noticed they have showers.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We just visited Chankanaab on our own -- not with the excursion.  I'd recommend you drop the excursion and go this route: 

Glad you enjoyed your day.

We held off going to Chankanaab for years because of the entrance charge. We have lots of other places with free access that we enjoy. However we finally went a few years ago because a grandchild had an activity they wanted to do there. The family went through the ship, to include the activity, and we joined them independently, similar to what you did and it is very easy. I was pleasantly surprised by the location and facilities.

A few points I would add to your review. There is generally an online voucher which gives a few $$ pp off the entrance fee available which you might look for next time if you didn’t find it this time. 

Different passes allow access to various facilities within the park and I think this is where the confusion with pool passes may arise. Some of the activities and concession stands within the park are third-party so different armbands allow access, or not, depending on type of pass purchased, for example via dolphins, snuba or Cabana Beach vendors. I agree the pool is not physically roped off and I am sure some people access, when officially they shouldn’t, but there have also been cases where people have been asked to buy concessions from that venue or leave.

Cabana Beach is purchased independently (not through the ship) but directly from the vendor. I am not sure if you can purchase at the main entrance if one of the cabanas is vacant. 

One last point to consider. We have since been totally independently, and via a package from the ship. SOMETIMES (when there is a sale) booking through the ship can be cheaper since it includes return taxi fare so worth checking and doing the math.

6 minutes ago, wido78 said:

Thank you very much for the feedback and thoughts.

I am curious if anyone that has booked the excursion through RCCL as to how the free drinks work?

My daughter had the package but doesn’t drink much. I believe she had to use the main buffet near reception and possibly pool for drinks but I don’t think she would have gone out of her way to search for drinks so there may be more possibilities. 

Hopefully someone will have a more definitive answer, or you can find a video review or blog.