Mykonos and Crete On Our Own (Walking)

js10

Greetings--On an upcoming Mediterranean cruise we have booked excursions for all ports except for Mykonos and Crete.  I plan to do self-guided walking tours from the cruise ports.  Any can't miss points of interest, views, bars, etc.?  In general, are these ports walkable?

Thanks in advance!

John

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, js10 said:

Mykonos and Crete.  I plan to do self-guided walking tours from the cruise ports.

There are several ports of call options on Crete, but as you won't be porting in all of them, for best replies which one or two are you referring to?😀

Edited by edinburgher

I think the OP needs to consider the geography of both Mykonos and Crete.  Crete has over 600 miles of coastline and is more than 250 miles long.  So no, you cannot simply walk around Crete :).  If your port is Iraklion or Chania (just at that port 2 weeks ago) you can certainly walk around those port towns on your own (we have done it a few times).  I should add that a highlight for many visitors to Crete is visiting the ruins at Knossos, and for this you will need a tour, taxi, or regional bus.  

Mykonos is primarily about a single city, Mykonos Town (also known as Chora).  If you dock, you will be about a mile from town and can get to it via shuttle bus, taxi, or even walking.  Once in town, folks can walk anywhere DIY.  We were just there last week, and spent a few hours walking the narrow streets, browsing shops, stopping for a drink, etc.  The streets are windy and narrow and it is easy to get lost, but you are never far from anything.  Having a working cell phone and map program (such as Google maps) can be helpful.  Otherwise, if you do lost/confused, just ask for help :).

Hank

• Like 2

8 hours ago, js10 said:

Our port is Chania.

Reading some of the past threads might help, in addition to the usual Tripadvisor, Frommer's, Fodors, YouTube, Rick Steves and anything else which appears when you google eg "Chania (or Mykonos) Tourist Information". You could also google something like "self guided walking tours Chania (or Mykonos)"

I take it you are not planning on walking all of Mykonos island either?

if staying in the main town on both, you really would not need any tour guided or self guided,  as both are quite small but pretty towns and it would be difficult to get lost in either..

Choose from these

Chania

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=chania&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

Mykonos

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=mykonos&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

Mykonos is very walkable. We had on our list to see the Wind Mills, the old Harbour, Little Venice and the Bougainvillea and white-washed stone streets from the picture-cards.. and they're all in the same general area.