Disembark time/flight info

Hi! First trip to Europe and first NCL cruise! Can't wait to see everything!! 

Going on the epic in July and trying to see if I can make a flight from Rome to Munich to catch the Taylor Swift concert. I know she's not for everyone but it's cheaper to see her there than in the US!

Realistically how long should I also plan at the airport as well? 

TIA! I've already learned so much from these boards 

11 minutes ago, Vegas2000 said:

Going on the epic in July and trying to see if I can make a flight from Rome to Munich to catch the Taylor Swift concert. I know she's not for everyone but it's cheaper to see her there than in the US!

As a general rule, for ships arriving at Civitavecchia at 6:00 AM or so, don’t plan on taking an international flight out of the Rome airport before noon.

• Like 1

What time was the flight you were looking at? As mentioned above, if you can book something no earlier than 12pm you should be ok. If the cruise ends in "Rome" it's about an hour away from Rome. So you have to take that into account when estimating how much time you need to get to the airport. The airport is also a bit confusing (to me at least), so for our fight home from there it took us a good 2 hours to get through all the different lines and security check points and make it to our gate for take off. 

It's a short flight from Rome to Munich, so even if the concert was that same night you still have plenty of time to drop bags off at your hotel, freshen up a bit, and get to the concert if you took a 12pm or 1pm flight over there. There's a nice 12:55 trip on Lufthansa nonstop for <$100 available which would be perfect...

Another slightly crazy idea would be to look at Ryanair. They only fly on certain days from FCO, but if you can fly into Memmingen the price is only $18. Yes, 18. You would then need to figure out how to get from there over to Munich (about 60-90 mins away) which might negate the crazy cost savings, but there's a train and I doubt it costs $100+. 

So yeah, depends on what day the Swifty show is, but yes, it's doable and fairly cheap to get there once you're in Italy.

• Thanks 2

Thank you so much both of you!!! I was trying to see if I could make the same night work as it's the last night there and then she takes a little break. Tickets here are out of control.

I didn't even think about how far away the airport is from the port! Thanks for that too! 

Good to know that it is a rather confusing airport! Just what I need on my first trip to Europe. Going through all the checkpoints will be completely new as it is which is why I didn't even know if it was possible.

I found that 1255 flight! That seems doable.

I could definitely just drop the bags and go. 

Ryanair at 18? That's crazy. The time won't work but good to know!

Thank you so much! I'm so excited for my first trip to Europe!!!!

On 5/5/2024 at 5:54 PM, Vegas2000 said:

How exciting..first trip to Europe!  Just a suggestion...learn how to say " do you speak English" in whatever counties you are visiting.  NEVER assume that everyone speaks English.  Once the Natives figure out you dint speak their language, they will most likely start talking in English.  I always learn these four phrases... Do you speak English.....Where is the toilet....the check please, and Thank You.  Once , in Italy, I asked at the ticket guy at the train station if he spoke English, he said no, Spanish.  In my broken Spanish, we got me the ticket I needed.

5 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Once , in Italy, I asked at the ticket guy at the train station if he spoke English, he said no, Spanish.  In my broken Spanish, we got me the ticket I needed.

That reminds me of Johnny Depp in “The Tourist.”

I'm so excited to finally going! In a teachers salary it takes forever!! That is a great idea to learn a few basics to ask because I will definitely get lost!!

12 hours ago, Vegas2000 said:

I'm so excited to finally going! In a teachers salary it takes forever!! That is a great idea to learn a few basics to ask because I will definitely get lost!!

NCL has a new promo they rolled out where teachers get an extra 5% discount. Call them up and see if you can get that added to your trip to save even more money.

https://www.ncl.com/teachers

On 5/6/2024 at 1:54 AM, Vegas2000 said:

Have disembarked in Civitavecchia with the family and made flights from FCO and Ciampino airport several times with time to spare (well over an hour) for pints and sit down food in each airport for a flight in around 12.

Only caveat is, we walk our own luggage off and get a transfer (either private or shared).

Edited by WexIrl
Forgot to reference the time!

The one thing to note is that Rome to Munich is not an "international" flight as we understand it. 

Flights within the Schengen area in Europe (which both Italy and Germany are part of) are essentially domestic flights. 

The Rome airport is a mess at the best of times, however if you're able to get off the ship first thing in self-assist (7am) and have a private transfer to the Airport (8:30am), you could probably chance an earlier flight. (10am?)