All-in Southampton?

I've seen it suggested that gratuities are included in the all-inclusive charge (with classic drink page and wifi) when sailing out of Southampton. Anybody know if this is true?

are you talking Gratuities on the Drink pkge, then yes,or the Daily Gratuities then only if you book on the UK website as  per Consumer Law .

I live in Canada and booked a Norway cruise, which leaves out of Southhampton, and had to check the box for Prepay Gratuities

I believe that it will depend on country of booking.  I understand that for UK bookings it is included in your fare price.

Just did a U.S. mock booking and it indicates it is bill separately

image.thumb.png.e7633ba7e026b46ccf9512826683ff45.png

You won’t make a saving though, as far as I understand. The prices for UK drink packages will be 20% higher, to include the cost of the ‘tips’, ditto the cost of individual drinks on board. A coffee in il Bacio is $5 on our upcoming cruise, whereas I’m sure I’ve seen it previously at $4 plus of course the 20% gratuity. 
Annoyingly, they don’t do the same with the cruise fare in the UK, so that is an extra added on afterwards. It would make things much simpler here if it was included. If it is a compulsary payment, it has to be included in the overall cost, to comply with UK law. Therefore it has to be deemed a discretionary payment, and as all Brits are used to having the service included as part of the costs of meals out, drinks, or even hotel stays, it’s not surprising that it is regarded as an actual ‘tip’ or little extra for over and above, and often removed in favour of rewarding those who go beyond what would be expected.

3 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

You won’t make a saving though, as far as I understand. The prices for UK drink packages will be 20% higher, to include the cost of the ‘tips’, ditto the cost of individual drinks on board. A coffee in il Bacio is $5 on our upcoming cruise, whereas I’m sure I’ve seen it previously at $4 plus of course the 20% gratuity. 
Annoyingly, they don’t do the same with the cruise fare in the UK, so that is an extra added on afterwards. It would make things much simpler here if it was included. If it is a compulsary payment, it has to be included in the overall cost, to comply with UK law. Therefore it has to be deemed a discretionary payment, and as all Brits are used to having the service included as part of the costs of meals out, drinks, or even hotel stays, it’s not surprising that it is regarded as an actual ‘tip’ or little extra for over and above, and often removed in favour of rewarding those who go beyond what would be expected.

neither we nor any of our UK friends remove the auto tips. Removing auto tips has only one result - some crew members will be working for less than they would otherwise get. None of the restaurants we go to in the UK include the service charge (unless it's for a group booking). 

When tips are included in the drinks price in say the Al Bacio this inevitably results in the prices being "rounded up",  

4 hours ago, cruizingOmi said:

are you talking Gratuities on the Drink pkge, then yes,or the Daily Gratuities then only if you book on the UK website as  per Consumer Law .

I live in Canada and booked a Norway cruise, which leaves out of Southhampton, and had to check the box for Prepay Gratuities

UK /European Law does not require the Daily Grats to be included in the basic price as the Grats are technically optional. The only things that must be included are "non optional items" for example port charges and taxes which are charged as extras in the US/Canada.

• Like 1

I’ve only ever been required to prepay gratuities on the UK site, when I was booking anytime dining. There was no availability for anytime dining on my recent booking, only fixed ( late) dining, and I didn’t have to prepay.
Usually, I will prepay anyway for convenience, but this time I will have them added daily to my on board account, and pay that with cash, as I have some US dollars left over from a cancelled holiday.

What I meant by saying the service charge is included in the prices in the UK, is that the restaurant is entirely responsible for paying the staff wages (plus all the other overheads of providing the meals) unlike the situation in the US.

9 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

I’ve only ever been required to prepay gratuities on the UK site, when I was booking anytime dining. There was no availability for anytime dining on my recent booking, only fixed ( late) dining, and I didn’t have to prepay.
Usually, I will prepay anyway for convenience, but this time I will have them added daily to my on board account, and pay that with cash, as I have some US dollars left over from a cancelled holiday.

What I meant by saying the service charge is included in the prices in the UK, is that the restaurant is entirely responsible for paying the staff wages (plus all the other overheads of providing the meals) unlike the situation in the US.

That obligation was dropped a long time ago - wrongly in my opinion but that's a different issue.

To my knowledge all restaurants in the US pay their staff a minimum wage but the tips there play a much bigger part than here in the UK.

We are in the UK.I booked the “Cruise Only” fare.Don’t want Wi-Fi and we are both TT , will pay as we go for any coffees or soft drinks other than those available in the buffet.Might/might not  take a few cans of Pepsi and a bottle of squash to dilute with tap water to drink in our cabin  .Have ‘Anytime Dining’  .I had the option to add any  or all of the extras ….Drinks,Wi-Fi and Gratuities separately.  I added ‘ Gratuities .They appeared on my invoice and as it is past ‘ final payment’  I have now  paid them in full .I will take cash (GBP) for any extra extra tipping at the end of the cruise.

2 hours ago, baw53 said:

We are in the UK.I booked the “Cruise Only” fare.Don’t want Wi-Fi and we are both TT , will pay as we go for any coffees or soft drinks other than those available in the buffet.Might/might not  take a few cans of Pepsi and a bottle of squash to dilute with tap water to drink in our cabin  .Have ‘Anytime Dining’  .I had the option to add any  or all of the extras ….Drinks,Wi-Fi and Gratuities separately.  I added ‘ Gratuities .They appeared on my invoice and as it is past ‘ final payment’  I have now  paid them in full .I will take cash (GBP) for any extra extra tipping at the end of the cruise.

Don't know your route but if you have any left over currency for example Euro, use that for tips rather than change it back. The ship will change/handle any currency for the crew at better rates than they give passengers.

53 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Don't know your route but if you have any left over currency for example Euro, use that for tips rather than change it back. The ship will change/handle any currency for the crew at better rates than they give passengers.

I do sometimes give €’s or $’s  but I usually  hang on to them for our next holiday or cruise to save on buying and cashing them in with varying exchange  rates .