Irish folk duo on QM2

Maritine

Hey, 

We went on a crossing with QM2 recently and onboard there was a folk duo “Cupla Fir”, does anyone know their real band name, we would like to find them on Youtube or elsewhere?

best regards

Martin

6 hours ago, Maritine said:

Hey, 

We went on a crossing with QM2 recently and onboard there was a folk duo “Cupla Fir”, does anyone know their real band name, we would like to find them on Youtube or elsewhere?

best regards

Martin

I found a duo called "Cula - Irish Duo - Tommy and Brian" on FB, who have been on Cunard.

The other ones I've heard of are "The Newfoundland Duo".

5 hours ago, D&N said:

I found a duo called "Cula - Irish Duo - Tommy and Brian" on FB, who have been on Cunard.

The Newfoundland Duo (father and son) produces brilliant entertainment.  Highly talented instrumentalists and vocalists.  I’ve been hoping against hope they may just appear on our QA “British Isles” voyage later this month.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Following this with interest as Cupla Fir were on our Queen Victoria Cruise last July, they were brilliant! I think we saw them 3 or 4 times.  We're on QM2 next month, I hope they're still on there then.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Cupla Fir is a mash up of Cula and Newfoundland Duo. I chatted with the dad (forget his name now) of Newfoundland Duo back in November. His son was taking a break from the cruises as he was newly loved up, so he was looking to throw something together with Brian from Cula. Cula was going to be changing as Tommy was going off with a harpist! Tangled web much?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 4:06 PM, Tattycoram said:

I've been learning a bit of Irish--I have a cúpla focail--and I'm delighted to be able to translate "Cúpla Fir" as "a couple of men"!

Maith thú @Tattycoram  👏👍- and well done on using the fada correctly too, as this makes a difference to the pronunciation. 🙂

Edited by Ciadan

On 5/12/2024 at 11:41 AM, D&N said:

Cupla fir, is two younger guys, one plays guitar and one plays whistle. The disembarked in New York on may 5th this year.

They told the name of the band but I can’t remember what it was, only that it was something like “boscombe”, “bostow”or something similar.

Grüss Gott, Germancruiser!  

I don't speak German, but I can pick my way through written bits of it when I can "solve" it like a  puzzle.  My parents often had us sing Austrian folk songs and schmaltzy songs like Mein Herz ist ein Bilderbuch die alten Wien, and then there's opera and chunks of literature I've read in facing-page translations.  (I studied a bit of Anglo-Saxon in graduate school and that perhaps helps too.)

And I don't know much Irish either!  I just wrote:  "Thanks, Ciadan [and I'm blaming autocorrect for spelling Ciadan's name wrong!  It keeps changing it the Caiman!].  I'm learning Irish slowly but I keep trying."  I'm not sure I got the phrases and the spelling completely right though.  I'm mostly teaching myself.  By the time I get to the Gaeltacht after our TA, I might just about be able to comment on the weather and buy some milk.

• Like 2