Malaga: El Pimpi - Thoughts/Reviews?

We'll be stopping in Malaga this September (my first time but the missus' second) and are planning to stay in town to explore.  

El Pimpi keeps coming up as a popular place to grab a bite but reviews really seem polarized.  Some reviews say the food is fantastic and affordable with a great atmosphere.  Other reviews say it's a tourist trap, the food mediocre and overpriced, and a poor experience (overcrowded, ignored by staff, bumping into your chair, etc).  I don't mind a well known touristy place but it has to be a good experience.  

Looking for thoughts, reviews, and tips for getting a good experience (eg time to visit, what to order, where to sit, etc) from anyone that has eaten here.  Thx!

• Like 1

We went over Thanksgiving. Had fish platter and beers . Food and drinks were good and reasonably priced. Make reservations and get seated inside under the barrel signed by Antonio Banderas. We were also polite and both of us spoke okay Spanish. Seriously food good just make a reservation and sit inside with locals. Only the tourists sat outside 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Milhouse said:

We'll be stopping in Malaga this September (my first time but the missus' second) and are planning to stay in town to explore.  

El Pimpi keeps coming up as a popular place to grab a bite but reviews really seem polarized.  Some reviews say the food is fantastic and affordable with a great atmosphere.  Other reviews say it's a tourist trap, the food mediocre and overpriced, and a poor experience (overcrowded, ignored by staff, bumping into your chair, etc).  I don't mind a well known touristy place but it has to be a good experience.  

Looking for thoughts, reviews, and tips for getting a good experience (eg time to visit, what to order, where to sit, etc) from anyone that has eaten here.  Thx!

I went to Malaga with DD and her boyfriend they live about an hour away, they were dropping me off at the airport for an early evening flight.  Malaga was mega busy as it was Palm Sunday.  It was late lunch time so a busy time in Spain.  Boyfriend who goes to Malaga a lot suggested El Pimpi.  There were tables inside so we were happy.  

I just checked the bill and saw that it was not cheap at €25 per head - probably just two alcoholic drinks in that, but we enjoyed.  I kept their card because I thought I would want to return.  

So I would say if you are there at a weekend, book ahead if you are specific about eating outside.  Don’t expect it to be cheap.  

I don’t think I saw anyone there that looked like a ‘tourist’, mostly families (who could have been staying in Malaga for Holy Week so could have fitted the definition of tourist).  

I cannot recall what we ate and sadly I didn’t take photos.  I know that it was tasty. 

• Thanks 1