Using a rollator

My friend is using a rollator due to spinal stenosis, we are thinking of doing a Seabourn New England Canada cruise.  Will she find the crew helpful when exiting and entering the ship in ports?  Will she be able to participate in some shore excursions?  For those of you who have travel this route on Seabourn, please let me know.

Thanks

I am blessed not to have to use any kind of walking aid (yet), but I have always seen crew be very helpful to those in wheelchairs and using rollators.  However, there are some tours that say an able bodied person must accompany someone who is in need of help on shore excursions.  Some tour guides/bus drivers may not be physically fit enough to help.

I realize it is more expensive, but maybe consider a private guide who can customize a trip to the places your friend can easily go and visit sites at her pace?  No bus, no steps, no cobblestones etc.

When Seabourn tenders to a port, the itinerary usually says, "Tender Required; Wheelchair Access at Master's Discretion."  A rollator is not a wheelchair, but for those who do use a wheelchair, it would be worthwhile to check about the specifics for each tender port in the cruise if getting off at a specific port is important to you. 

1 minute ago, skybluewaters said:

When Seabourn tenders to a port, the itinerary usually says, "Tender Required; Wheelchair Access at Master's Discretion."  A rollator is not a wheelchair, but for those who do use a wheelchair, it would be worthwhile to check about the specifics for each tender port in the cruise if getting off at a specific port is important to you. 

Agrred.

With tender ports if there is a lot of movement of the tender it can be very risky for people with mobility actions. I have watched some people who were unsteady on their feet insist on getting on the tender as it was bouncing. It took 2 or 3 crew to help them on and off and I must admit I had concern either crew or passenger was going end up injured. Might I suggest if the weather is rough on those days to think about the risk of boarding the tender.

• Like 4