Taking cash

We are going to Denmark Sweden and Norway on the 30th June. We know we can use our credit cards but should we take a small amount of

cash. This will mean three different currencies 

We went a few years ago before the Euro changed. For small things, I will get a few dollars of each country's money. For more significant things, you can use your card. We did the Baltic Sea, and Denmark was breathtaking.  If you can find an excursion that takes you out of the city, you will love it.  For things like water or snacks, you will need cash.  

I hope this helps

Tracey

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As a starting point, you do not need cash.
You can use credit card everywhere. However, I would recommend a contactless card - alternative chip. Magnetic stripe only works in a few machines in hotels and  restaurants. ApplePay on mobile phone will also be a good solution.
Best is MasterCard or Visa. Amex is not that widespread.
I have not used cash for several years in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

Also note that tips and VAT are in all cases included in prices - also in restaurants.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently spent 2 1/2 weeks in Norway.  I got about $45 in Kroner out of an ATM upon arrival.  I never touched it.  I used my contactless credit card and/or ApplePay from my phone for everything.  Even packs of gum and a pay toilet.  

• Thanks 1

Everybody's right ... but the thing is that if you have no local money, you'll need a little.  If you bring it with you, you probably won't spend it.  I'm the type who doesn't like to waste my travel time, so I bring the currency with me.  Do whatever makes sense for your travel style.  Oh, how you will LOVE this trip!  There just aren't any negatives about travelling in Scandinavia.  

• Like 1

I live in Norway and haven’t used any cash here for over five years. Even for purchases under 10 NOK. Cash is mostly a hassle or a novelty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2