Explain free at sea to me…

On 5/18/2024 at 9:08 AM, itsnotjustme said:

I always recommend going to the official source.  NCL spells it all out here:  https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions?hide_hf=true

Thanks for posting this link.  We have never been on NCL and are considering a cruise next year.  I was totally confused on the website.    

Posted (edited)

We’re new to NCL and have FAS.

I’m trying to decide if it makes sense to get FAS Plus.

We will be purchasing 2 more Specialty Dining pp, Upgrading to Unlimited WiFi.( we don’t need  streaming). 

Will buy Starbucks as we go, Water,Sodas etc as I believe it’s not included in FAS.

If I crunch the numbers, it appears I may as well Upgrade to FAS plus which would then include the $50 credit in excursions for Guest 2. ( Plan on booking at least 3 excursions with NCL).

It seemed outrageous to pay $490pp to Upgrade to FAS Plus but after adding up , it evens out. 

Does this make sense or am I missing something.
Sailing Prima , Iceland/Norway.
Thank you. 

Edited by dock

24 minutes ago, dock said:

Thank you. 

It does make sense! Even if it wouldn't add up completely (maybe it does maybe it doesn't) it will make things easier, worry free. And that has a value as well!

It wouldn't make sense for me but it sounds like it might make sense for you!

(And just a comment on soda: soda in a glass is included in regular package. Bottled water is not though.)

• Thanks 1

I can guess the answer to this question but here we go. 

We booked via a 3rd party to travel in July with NCL, a family of 3. The offer for Free at Sea for £249pp ran until yesterday. We called and added it to our booking yesterday having had the advisor confirm that the offer we could see online ended at midnight. 

Today I woke to an email of a flash sale, £119 pp for Free at Sea. 

Which would mead £390 less for 3 people than the £747 I paid only yesterday. 

Can I cancel the Free at Sea that I paid for yesterday and then add it back at the new price? 

21 minutes ago, BartoA said:

I can guess the answer to this question but here we go. 

We booked via a 3rd party to travel in July with NCL, a family of 3. The offer for Free at Sea for £249pp ran until yesterday. We called and added it to our booking yesterday having had the advisor confirm that the offer we could see online ended at midnight. 

Today I woke to an email of a flash sale, £119 pp for Free at Sea. 

Which would mead £390 less for 3 people than the £747 I paid only yesterday. 

Can I cancel the Free at Sea that I paid for yesterday and then add it back at the new price? 

I doubt that but it doesn't hurt to ask. I once tried to add a half price FAS to an already booked cruise and that was a no-go

And are you sure your cruise is included in the sale? It says Select Exotic Cruises on the website

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

I doubt that but it doesn't hurt to ask. I once tried to add a half price FAS to an already booked cruise and that was a no-go

And are you sure your cruise is included in the sale? It says Select Exotic Cruises on the website

I have spoken to them and it is only for new bookings and its the likes of Indian Ocean, Australia etc. Suppose the Med may be considered exotic to those who fly across the world to get there but not so much when its only a couple of hours away. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, dock said:

We’re new to NCL and have FAS.

I’m trying to decide if it makes sense to get FAS Plus.

We will be purchasing 2 more Specialty Dining pp, Upgrading to Unlimited WiFi.( we don’t need  streaming). 

Will buy Starbucks as we go, Water,Sodas etc as I believe it’s not included in FAS.

If I crunch the numbers, it appears I may as well Upgrade to FAS plus which would then include the $50 credit in excursions for Guest 2. ( Plan on booking at least 3 excursions with NCL).

It seemed outrageous to pay $490pp to Upgrade to FAS Plus but after adding up , it evens out. 

Thank you. 

Wifi upgrade X2 = $400 (not 100% sure of the number.  used $29.99 per day and $100 upgrade credit)

2 Dining Credits = $238

Shorex credits = $150

Total upgrades = $788

FAS+ Upgrade = $980

Difference = $192

Personally I would say its a no brainer if you were planning on buying those upgrades individual already.  If morning coffee is important, you will be buying Starbucks every morning which will almost hit the breakeven point on its own.  If you are a wine or whiskey drinker, it makes even more sense.    

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. I’m thinking of doing it. 
2 extra Dining $82.80 pp

2 WiFi $199.90 pp

$150 extra Excursions (3) 

Bottled Water $60( 24 x 500mls) 

Starbucks 2 Capps pp per day ?$200 total ( assuming $10pp per day) 

Total : $975.40 

Upgrade Cost : $999.80

I just wasn’t sure if I was somehow miscalculating or missing something.

So I will do FAS+.

Thanks all. 

34 minutes ago, BartoA said:

Suppose the Med may be considered exotic to those who fly across the world to get there but not so much when its only a couple of hours away. 

Those that fly across the world for Med don't have to buy FAS. It's included in their cruise price. 😁  (They do pay gratuity for the drink package and meals though so it usually comes to about the same as a full price EU/UK FAS)

But I wish the cruises I plan for 2025 were included in the sale. But no. My PCC has told me that the next fleetwide half price promo will be in November and if that's correct I'll book then. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dock said:

Ok. I’m thinking of doing it. 
2 extra Dining $82.80 pp

2 WiFi $199.90 pp

$150 extra Excursions (3) 

Bottled Water $60( 24 x 500mls) 

Starbucks 2 Capps pp per day ?$200 total ( assuming $10pp per day) 

Total : $975.40 

Upgrade Cost : $999.80

I just wasn’t sure if I was somehow miscalculating or missing something.

So I will do FAS+.

Thanks all. 

I didn't think about the 2 dining credits having a discounted upgrade price.  I think you will be very happy with FAS+ based on those numbers.  It gives the cruise almost an all inclusive feel.  

Here are a couple of suggestions to get the most out of the upgraded drink package:

-Order higher end bottles of wine at dinner.  What ever you do not drink, they will save and you can request at your table the next night.  NCL's included wines are ok to bad but there are bottles in their $100-$120 range that are really good.  

-If you are doing Le Bistro, that is the only place on board for Veuve Clicquot.  You can not order it by the bottle but if your waiter is good, they will keep refilling without asking.  

-Ask for 2 large bottles of water before heading back to the cabin each night.  

-NCL allows you to order two drinks at a time on one keycard.  This includes Starbucks so your husband/wife does not need to be with you when ordering.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 3:36 PM, kelkel2 said:

Like really break it down. 
So I get unlimited alcohol drinks under $15 with the included package.

Yes you feel free at sea because you are generally up to your eye balls in cruise juice.

Enjoy!

• Haha 3

On 5/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, hallux said:

Unless you take a (increasingly rare) sail-away rate where you don't have to decline the offers in order to not get them.

Touche, I dont see them marking Sail away rate anymore. What started as initially as limited time "Free at Sea" offer is a sale that is now always live.

I hate that they raise everyone's prices to offer these frills regardless of whether you need it or not.

Wish they bring back sail away rate, so we don't necessarily pay for things we don't need.

35 minutes ago, Sayuil said:

I hate that they raise everyone's prices to offer these frills regardless of whether you need it or not.

I'm pretty sure they're charging as much as they can and not a cent less, with or without an included drink package. Even charging the gratuities separately has more to do with how they're contracted to pay their crew than anything else. (And I wouldn't be shocked if at some point in the future they negotiated an alternative and dropped even that line item)

If Free At Sea is raising prices, it's because it's making the cruise line more popular and demand drives the prices up. Sail Away is itself a promotion- offering discounts on the pretense of dropping the perks, but really they're just releasing some cabins cheaper to attract bargain hunters. And it's vanishing because they don't need to court that group anymore.