Explain free at sea to me…

Like really break it down. 
So I get unlimited alcohol drinks under $15 with the included package. But no coffee or energy drinks? What about Gatorade and water? 
The specialty dining… how many meals do you get included on a 5 night cruise? You can eat at any specialty place? 
You still have to pay gratuities correct? Are they billed onto your account or paid in advance? 
Is the included WiFi unlimited? Decent? We’re looking on a cruise on the Escape if that matters. 
Anything else I need to know? This would be a first NCL cruise but certainly not our first cruise. 

• Like 1

You pay the gratuities on the drink and fining package. If you order a drink a drink more than $15 you pay the extra amount. I think you get one free dinner, you will want yo make reservations.

You will prepay gratuities on both your drink package and your specialty dining with your Free at Sea.  These will be charged with your final payment.  Usually you will only receive one specialty dining on a 5 night cruise.  This could change based on your stateroom category.  You receive the basic drink package unless you choose tompay for the upgrade.  This does not include bottled water, energy drinks, or specialty coffees.  It does include beveraes up to $15each.  If you choose a high end wine or top shelf liquor, you will pay the difference above $15.  WiFi is not unlimited.  I think it is now 120 minutes per person free.  Be sure to sign out every time you use it, not just shut down, or your minutes will disappear.  Your specialty dining is valid at any of the restaurants. You also receive $50 credit per port on any NCL excursions.   NCL website has a full explaination of all of this.  

12 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

So I get unlimited alcohol drinks under $15 with the included package. But no coffee or energy drinks? What about Gatorade and water? 
The specialty dining… how many meals do you get included on a 5 night cruise? You can eat at any specialty place? 
You still have to pay gratuities correct? Are they billed onto your account or paid in advance? 
Is the included WiFi unlimited? Decent? We’re looking on a cruise on the Escape if that matters. 
Anything else I need to know? This would be a first NCL cruise but certainly not our first cruise. 

If you haven't done so read the Terms and Conditions of the current offer on NCL.com.   All parts of the FAS offer are explained in detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There is regular free coffe available in different places on the ship. For example the buffet. Speciality coffess are not free. Energy drinks are not free.

There is good drinking water available in bars and restuarants, including the buffet. Not in bottles though. Bottles available for purchase.

One speciality meal on a 5-day cruise. Choose anyone of the non-complimentary restaurants.

Internet is not unlimited unless you upgrade. On a 5-day cruise you get 75 minutes.

You get charged a service fee of around $22/day for the drinks package if you're a US guest. There is also a service fee for the speciality dinner that you get charged. Both of them during booking.

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Asawi said:

There is regular free coffe available in different places on the ship. For example the buffet. Speciality coffess are not free. Energy drinks are not free.

There is good drinking water available in bars and restuarants, including the buffet. Not in bottles though. Bottles available for purchase.

One speciality meal on a 5-day cruise. Choose anyone of the non-complimentary restaurants.

Internet is not unlimited unless you upgrade. On a 5-day cruise you get 75 minutes.

You get charged a service fee of around $22/day for the drinks package if you're a US guest. There is also a service fee for the speciality dinner that you get charged. Both of them during booking.

How much is it to upgrade to unlimited WiFi? 

1 minute ago, kelkel2 said:

How much is it to upgrade to unlimited WiFi? 

The shortest cruise I have done is 7 days. Upgrading to unlimited was around $100 if I remeber correctly. So should be a little less for 5 days. 70-80? Just guessing!

Basically, the Free at Sea is a marketing strategy. Nothing is "free". The base price is bumped up to offer these "Free at Sea" options, however, these options are very basic. These basic options will satisfy many of the more experienced cruisers. However, if you desire a more enhanced experience, you'll find that you'll need to reach a little deeper into your pocket and just upgrade your internet package and drink packages.

Don't even get me started on the Air package.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

There is an entire breakdown and description in total detatil on the NCL site if you actually took the time to click the TERMS AND CONDITIONS link they provide.  It is a lot easier then coming here and taking time to ask a question they proviede an answer to already! 🙂  Enjoy your ceruise....

• Like 1

Someone even asked earlier in the week, but it hasn't been replied to since Wed. so it wasn't on the first couple pages (but search would find it!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Asawi said:

The shortest cruise I have done is 7 days. Upgrading to unlimited was around $100 if I remeber correctly. So should be a little less for 5 days. 70-80? Just guessing!

Just getting off a 7 day, to upgrade to unlimited wifi it was $79.95 on day 2 and $49.95 day 3 on.

3 hours ago, SoshiFluff said:

Be careful with wifi. My wife did not log off and burned most of her “free” 100 minutes in 2 sessions.  

We get several hundred minutes free every cruise and have yet to ever log in.  I am on a cruise.  The LAST thing I want to do is have my nise stuck in a computer.  We run a computer - /internet - web design and hosting business but we are smart enough to have folks who can run things for a week without us like most good business people do.  No one NEEDS to be on line during a cruise.  Unplug and enjoy the real world that is out there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

We get several hundred minutes free every cruise and have yet to ever log in.  I am on a cruise.  The LAST thing I want to do is have my nise stuck in a computer.  We run a computer - /internet - web design and hosting business but we are smart enough to have folks who can run things for a week without us like most good business people do.  No one NEEDS to be on line during a cruise.  Unplug and enjoy the real world that is out there!

Some folks might not own their own web design business, some might have employers who require access. My husband has been working for the same financial services company for over 30 years, he gets unlimited vacation days but for some issues he is needed, even on vacation.

• Like 2

Our son had injured himself day one at home so we communicated with him regularly. In the end all was good but nice to ba able to communicate through Whatsapp or snapchat even facetime. 

• Like 1

None of it is free.  I heard someone call it Tax At Sea because all these offers do is surcharge your base cruise price.  But don't believe me believe NCL.  Many years ago the head NCL employee in charge of working with TA's was talking about the new "Free at Sea" offers.  She was saying what a big success they were because customers "think" they are getting stuff for free.  Its all a gimmick.  Yes, If you drink like a fish then yes you can make out on the deal.  Yes the specialty dining is more if you pay ala carte.  However NCL is not losing a dime because all of your meals and drinks are already baked into your base fare.

You don't have to take the offers.  I am not trying to start a debate on the value of the offers but just reminding people that nothing on a cruise ship is free.  Its all a marketing campaign.

Many years ago when the "Free at Sea" offers started, they would take a break for a week or so and then come back.  When I was pricing a cruise during the week of no "free at sea" offers, the cruise price went down $200.  The next week when the offers came back, the cruise price went up $200.

I rest my case.

🙊🙈🙉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

When someone else decides to pay for my cruise and travel experience, I'll actually be concerned about whether I'm meeting their standards or not.

Until then, you do you boo boo and don't worry about me. I'm doing fine.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

No one NEEDS to be on line during a cruise.

No one? Absolutely no one? Time to wake up and join the year 2024.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, david_sobe said:

None of it is free.  I heard someone call it Tax At Sea because all these offers do is surcharge your base cruise price.  But don't believe me believe NCL.  Many years ago the head NCL employee in charge of working with TA's was talking about the new "Free at Sea" offers.  She was saying what a big success they were because customers "think" they are getting stuff for free.  Its all a gimmick.  Yes, If you drink like a fish then yes you can make out on the deal.  Yes the specialty dining is more if you pay ala carte.  However NCL is not losing a dime because all of your meals and drinks are already baked into your base fare.

You don't have to take the offers.  I am not trying to start a debate on the value of the offers but just reminding people that nothing on a cruise ship is free.  Its all a marketing campaign.

Many years ago when the "Free at Sea" offers started, they would take a break for a week or so and then come back.  When I was pricing a cruise during the week of no "free at sea" offers, the cruise price went down $200.  The next week when the offers came back, the cruise price went up $200.

I rest my case.

🙊🙈🙉

Of course its baked into the fare.  Everything is baked into the fare.  Cruise lines, like all businesses, are not selling their product to lose money.  But, the base fare doesn't change whether you take the FAS or not.  Declining the FAS only saves you gratuities.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 10:36 AM, kelkel2 said:

So I get unlimited alcohol drinks under $15 with the included package. But no coffee or energy drinks? COFFEE IS AVAILABLE AT NO CHARGE AT THE BARS AND THE BUFFET.

What about Gatorade and water? GATORADE?  NOT SURE I'VE EVER SEEN GATORADE ON MY CRUISES.  SODAS-YES.  WATER-YES (TAP WATER IS PROBALBY BETTER FILTERED THAN BOTTLED)

The specialty dining… how many meals do you get included on a 5 night cruise? You can eat at any specialty place?  1 SPECIALTY DINNER FOR 5 NITE CRUISE, ANY OF THEM.  

You still have to pay gratuities correct? YES!

Are they billed onto your account or paid in advance?  EITHER...YOUR CHOICE!

Is the included WiFi unlimited? NO!

Decent? ACTUALLY IT'S DEPENDENT ON THE SHIP YOU'RE SAILING AND THE POSITION YOUR SHIP IS IN WHILE SAILING.

We’re looking on a cruise on the Escape if that matters. ESCAPE IS ONE OF NCL'S BIGGEST SHIPS (BREAKAWAY PLUS CLASS).  IT'S ONE OF MY TOP 3 OR 4 SHIPS IN NCL'S FLEET!

Anything else I need to know? This would be a first NCL cruise but certainly not our first cruise. NCL FREESTYLE IS THE BEST DO ANYTHING, ANYTIME IMPLEMENTATION I'VE EXPERIENCED.  JUST CHILL AND GO WITH THE FLOW.  ESCAPE OFFERS A LOT OF OUTDOOR SPACE (VS OTHER CRUISE LINES WHO TRY TO POINT YOU INWARDS).  PERSONALLY, I HAVE THE BEST TIME JUST HANGING OUT ON THEIR "WATERFRONT" AREA...BARS, RESTAURANTS, QUIET PLACES TO READ OR JUST WATCH THE WATER GO BY.

2 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

But, the base fare doesn't change whether you take the FAS or not

Unless you take a (increasingly rare) sail-away rate where you don't have to decline the offers in order to not get them.

On 5/18/2024 at 10:36 AM, kelkel2 said:

"Free" doesn't mean "without cost," a common misconception. "Free" means "unrestricted," meaning you can dine and drink whenever you like, there are no fixed mealtimes or locations, and you don't have to pay for each drink as you go. That's one of the confusing things about the English language, namely that a word like "free" has multiple meanings.

• Like 1