What did you do in Holyhead?

We will have a day in Holyhead in early September (ship docks 7am - 5pm). I have been scouring the net but I am not finding much of interest to do on our own to fill the whole time. I considered taking the train to Conwy to see the castle, but the trains are not very frequent. Can anyone suggest a plan? Thanks in advance!

Google busybus Holyhead.  They have an excursion that leaves from the port and is fitted to your particular cruise schedule.

• Like 3

Busybus is frequently recommended by CC members - their Holyhead tours are for cruise passengers and they can modify to suit any late changes to ships' itineraries, including full refund if the ship fails to port.

https://www.busybus.co.uk/sightseeing-day-tour-to-north-wales-from-holyhead-cruise-terminal/                                  

Conwy train station is one of the smallest in the UK, I think it's still one of only a handful of "request" stops - on boarding you have to notify the guard or driver that you wish to get off there or it will thunder on through. And for the return from Conwy you have to hold out your hand as the train arrives, just like for a bus.

But if you check trains from Holyhead to Llandudno Junction, instead of Conwy you'll find there are just a few more trains. Llandudno Junction is the next station and is less than a mile further on. So it's a short taxi hop or an easy & pleasant 20-minute walk along the causeway & over the bridge to Conwy Castle.

Or change trains at Llandudno Junction for a 10-minute ride to the Victorian seaside resort of Llandudno. Mebbe visit the Great Orme (Norse word for Sea Serpent), a rocky outcrop sticking out from the north Wales coast - on the marine drive around it by vintage bus (from Llandudno pier) or ascend it on the vintage tram (five minute walk from Llandudno train station) https://greatormetramway.co.uk/en/great-orme

JB 🙂

9 minutes ago, John Bull said:

ascend it on the vintage tram (five minute walk from Llandudno train station

And, if you do, then leave enough time for a fish & chips lunch at the quirkily named "Fish, Tram, Chips", directly opposite the tramway's town station. It's some of the best fish & chips you're likely to come across. We were there only last week (no tram ride this  trip though - but it is very well worth doing). 

Walk from the train station is a good 15 minutes. 

8 minutes ago, Harters said:

Walk from the train station is a good 15 minutes. 

Yep, I got it wrong.

5 minutes for Usain Bolt, 15 mins for the rest of us.🙄

JB  🙂

• Like 1

Thanks all. Very useful info. Particularly good to know we have the option of Llandudno Junction for visiting Conwy castle.

Posted (edited)

Busybus has no availablity for 3rd September, just a waiting list 😞

But I'm now reasonably confident we could take the train to see Conwy castle on our own.

Edited by sjf

Here is a copy of a post I made on a 'Live From' after a visit to Holyhead.

Even at the port entrance it was unbelievably busy, with many, many trucks entering and leaving. I have used the port numerous times as the gateway back to Ireland after a UK visit, so,  I think if I was back there again then I would stay on the ship, unless I felt the need to visit, Boots or Marks and Spencer (in Bangor) or similar.

Copy of Post:

Day 7 Holyhead Tuesday

Pronounced Holly head!

This was on the front cover of the Daily Program for today.

DSCN3009.thumb.JPG.a582ec6da782050673252ee44d0cb4c5.JPG

Holland America tour buses were pulled up at the bottom of the gangway whereas all others were required to take the free shuttle to the cruise terminal to meet their private tours/taxis etc.

Holyhead is a very busy ferry port with numerous ferries running to various ports in Ireland.

this is the Irish Ferries 'Ulysses' doing a quick 180 before reversing into its dock.

DSCN3010.thumb.JPG.f23f94d7d65af335047700a0a44b88ac.JPG

Before heading down to our meeting place at the world stage we went to Dutch cafe for a quick latte.  We were greeted by a smiling Captain Eric who was enjoying a bowl of Dutch Pea Soup!

Today was the second of our 'cheap' tours thanks to HIA.  We went to Caernarfon Castle which was the location for the investiture of the now King Charles as Prince of Wales on 1st July 1969.   The drive there was pretty uninspiring.  A lot of flat agricultural land a few sheep some horses and a lot of cattle.  The Anglesey Agricultural Show was being held today and tomorrow near to Holyhead, but we didn't even meet much traffic.

(I will just mention here that there were no priority bus tickets for the port shuttle bus, but there was not much of a wait for those that needed them).

Some views of the castle

DSCN3016.thumb.JPG.e465830d63a5e7991d515c110b0f481d.JPG

DSCN3019.thumb.JPG.f1ac0e20c628141ab33d17e16f2cb928.JPG

DSCN3022.thumb.JPG.64d811bd2418451bd050e088afa82187.JPG

On the way back to the ship we stopped at that village with the unpronouceable name of 58 letters.

20230815_155449.thumb.jpg.7322fc360bfe833a030437e80c7e5960.jpg

An interesting enough day, but I would not feel the need to rush back!

I like Caernarfon Castle. Interesting in itself, it is also home to the regimental museum of the Royal Welch(*) Fusiliers, which was the reason for my last visit there, pre-Covid.

The Museum's displays record its long history, including fighting during the American War of Independence (or, alternatively, the successful terrorist attempt to overthrow the legitimate government) (**). It was at Bunker Hill and Yorktown (where it was the only regiment not to surrender its colours). My interest in visiting was the Great War, which is my military history field of study. 

(*) Not a typo. 

(**) joke - although I am an amateur military historian (and published author)

1 hour ago, sjf said:

I do wonder why the cruise lines would choose to stop here.

Potentially, a lack of anywhere else for a stop in Wales - unless the ship's routing was going to take them to South Wales. A look at the ports before and after Holyhead may well give you a clue as to why Holyhead. And, if  you're doing a British Isles cruise, then I think you'd have to have a stop in the principality. 

Croeso i Gymru.