Chairgate !!!

7 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

While I’m no lawyer, but it seems to me that the OP book/purchased his cruise based on a written description of what he was supposed to be booking. If Celebrity changes that without notification or some sort of compensation, then that would meet the definition of fraud, or at least bait and switch. With that said, I’m sure that somewhere, hidden amongst the multiple pages of their cruise contract, they have some sort of verbiage that justifies them doing it. Anyone who has cruised knows full well that their business practices wouldn’t work here in the US, that’s why they hide off shore.

The OP, me, and  you, all purchased our cruises based on the official Terms and Conditions incorporated into the cruise contract (you did read those, right?). I will guarantee you that if you actually read those, there is nowhere that loungers on balconies are mentioned. It will include a phrase that in all cases in which other materials such as advertising materials conflict with the T&Cs of the contract, the contract will prevail. The only things promised by the cruise line are what's in the T&Cs. Always has been. We may not like it, but we agreed to it by silence.

RCG is incorporated in the State of Florida. They're subject to oversight by the SEC. They file all the mandatory corporate filings that any other publicly traded corporation would file in the US. Part of those T&Cs requires claims against RCG for cruises purchased in the United States be filed in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami-Dade. They've selected a US venue, not hidden overseas. The ships are flagged in Malta, but RCG is headquartered and organized in the US.

And, BTW, Celebrity has stated loungers were removed for safety reasons, not security. No, they haven't specified what safety reason. It would be nice if they would and it would help their PR, but I have to assume there's a reason they haven't. Probably involving lawyers.

1 minute ago, markeb said:

The OP, me, and  you, all purchased our cruises based on the official Terms and Conditions incorporated into the cruise contract (you did read those, right?). I will guarantee you that if you actually read those, there is nowhere that loungers on balconies are mentioned. It will include a phrase that in all cases in which other materials such as advertising materials conflict with the T&Cs of the contract, the contract will prevail. The only things promised by the cruise line are what's in the T&Cs. Always has been. We may not like it, but we agreed to it by silence.

RCG is incorporated in the State of Florida. They're subject to oversight by the SEC. They file all the mandatory corporate filings that any other publicly traded corporation would file in the US. Part of those T&Cs requires claims against RCG for cruises purchased in the United States be filed in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami-Dade. They've selected a US venue, not hidden overseas. The ships are flagged in Malta, but RCG is headquartered and organized in the US.

And, BTW, Celebrity has stated loungers were removed for safety reasons, not security. No, they haven't specified what safety reason. It would be nice if they would and it would help their PR, but I have to assume there's a reason they haven't. Probably involving lawyers.

As I said, I’m no lawyer. As for their reason for the removal, whether it be safety or security, please let them explain why a chair that they are replacing it with, is any less safe or secure.

• Like 1

They're still advertising a Royal Suite this way:

Veranda with lounge seating (whirlpool tub on Solstice Series and Millennium Series ships)

and they still illustrate them this way:

Lounger2.jpg.0bbe0a37cfa0b5d865bb22b1ab1cc736.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pzsdd6 said:

While I’m no lawyer, but it seems to me that the OP book/purchased his cruise based on a written description of what he was supposed to be booking. If Celebrity changes that without notification or some sort of compensation, then that would meet the definition of fraud, or at least bait and switch. With that said, I’m sure that somewhere, hidden amongst the multiple pages of their cruise contract, they have some sort of verbiage that justifies them doing it. Anyone who has cruised knows full well that their business practices wouldn’t work here in the US, that’s why they hide off shore.

A long with every  other cruise line.

15 hours ago, highway180 said:

I think all cabins should have those uncomfortable chairs!

LOL

Perhaps they just want to the furniture to match the same very uncomfortable chairs they have in all IV cabins.

• Like 1

As someone in a RS as I type, I can promise it looks NOTHING like the pic above.  

if you use a TA, suggest telling him/her about the policy. That way others are forewarned. 

‘Safety’ can often mean rules like tripping hazards, space between furnishings…Perhaps the deck space in some of these rooms means that legally they can only have chairs and tables? Just a thought…Perhaps some ship hotel managers are more willing to be flexible with the rules than others…

If this is the case perhaps at some stage they could offer a waiver option. ‘Yes, you can have a sun bed on your balcony but you have signed a waiver saying the tripping (or other hazard) has been explained to you’.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markeb said:

They are still showing loungers in their promotional video on their website. 

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Perhaps they just want to the furniture to match the same very uncomfortable chairs they have in all IV cabins.

I think that is the likely truth Geoff. The bean counters have most likely gone for economy of scale. I’m just shocked that they have gone down this rabbit hole across all cabins. I am angry enough at them having booked multiple SV cabins but would definitely not want to pay more serious money for a suite and find out it only has “doll's house” furniture on it. 

I suggested the cost issue when I spoke with X corporate.  They denied it.  Said if that were the case, they would wait until some or all of the loungers had reached their life expectancy and just not replace them. Claimed they were removing loungers that were either new or in fine shape.  

My guess is that some were using them as beds - sleeping out there at night.  Or even during the day. And fell off.  That’s only my guess - nothing anyone at X has said.  

8 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

I suggested the cost issue when I spoke with X corporate.  They denied it.  Said if that were the case, they would wait until some or all of the loungers had reached their life expectancy and just not replace them. Claimed they were removing loungers that were either new or in fine shape.  

My guess is that some were using them as beds - sleeping out there at night.  Or even during the day. And fell off.  That’s only my guess - nothing anyone at X has said.  

Trust me, you wouldn't have far to fall....LOL.  Re the footstools and reclining chairs they've also removed....I spoke with the Exec Office Rep today, who I felt sorry for....young and tongue tied.  When she said space being an issue (assume she meant non-suite cabins), I mentioned during the reno's they hadn't redesigned the size of the balcony...same space as during the many S class cruises we've enjoyed with 2 chairs, 2 footstools, and a small table.  Still room to move around.  There is no logical reason, except cost to replace IMO.