Reykjavik shuttle

islandwoman

Is there convenient and reasonably priced transportation from the cruise port in Reykjavik into town?  I would like to book an independent whale watching tour, but they all seem to depart from Old Harbor. 

Can we walk?  What's In Port says that town is 2 miles from where most cruise ships dock, but google is telling me that Old Harbor is a 1 hour 10 minute walk. 

There is a free shuttle coming/going from the Cruise terminal to the center of town, you'll be dropped at Harpa (the music hall). From here you can walk into the center of town, where you'll find several shops and the What's on tour guide center. Or you can walk into the harbor and book directly there. There will be several whale watch tours available. I always rely on Whats on to direct me to the most convenient one for my plans. 

• Thanks 2

does this help?

image.thumb.png.f61835a46423764a429b9520172e1278.png

I'm not sure what they are calling 'center of town'. The walk to the tourist area where you find the whale boats <near maritime museum> is more like 3 miles following the coast. Harpa is not what I would call 'central' but is a major bus stop INCLUDING the hop on/off. We spent a couple of days when our cruise ended here last July and did a 'Golden Circle' tour. (pssssss ..... there are a zillion 'golden Circle' tours and they are not the same but do hit similar major sites . . .)

Capt BJ,

We have booked a Golden Circle 3.5 hr tour for 130 US pp. This is not through our cruise line but through our agent. Do you know if the prices in town are much cheaper or the same ? We plan to do a Hop On Hop off the next day on our own.  ( 2 day stop)

Thanks

PS Any advice on Nuuk would be great if you've been there recently.

Sandra

13 hours ago, canaturelover55 said:

Capt BJ,

We have booked a Golden Circle 3.5 hr tour for 130 US pp. This is not through our cruise line but through our agent. Do you know if the prices in town are much cheaper or the same ? We plan to do a Hop On Hop off the next day on our own.  ( 2 day stop)

Thanks

PS Any advice on Nuuk would be great if you've been there recently.

Sandra

Are you sure it's only 3.5 hours?  That barely is enough time to get from the port to the Golden Circle area and back, no time to see any of the attractions.

27 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

Price sounds about right .. I booked thru tip advisor but don't remember who specifically. It was 'small group' and over 7 hours .... included a stop and swim at Secret Lagoon ....

7 hours makes more sense.  I don't recommend using third parties like Trip Advisor/Viator, especially in places like Iceland where weather can affect plans 365 days/year, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

On 6/25/2024 at 11:49 AM, Fawkes66 said:

There is a free shuttle coming/going from the Cruise terminal to the center of town, you'll be dropped at Harpa (the music hall). 

A free shuttle provided by Iceland? Or is the shuttle from the cruise line? I've heard some other people say there is a free shuttle and others say it costs money! 

21 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Are you sure it's only 3.5 hours?  That barely is enough time to get from the port to the Golden Circle area and back, no time to see any of the attractions.

7 hours makes more sense.  I don't recommend using third parties like Trip Advisor/Viator, especially in places like Iceland where weather can affect plans 365 days/year, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

You are right . It's 8 hrs.

• Like 1