Driving time:Denali to Talkeetna

Cshell5

I found this info on Autopilot website. It seems that almost 5 hrs. from Denali National Pk. to Talkeetna is way too long

Route Summary

Origination: Denali National Park, AK

Destination: Talkeetna, AK

This Route Distance: 223 This Route Driving Time: 4:54

Route Preferences: none

Total Trip Distance: 223 Total Trip Driving Time: 4:54

We're leaving McKinley Chalet resorts(Denali) and need to get to Talkeetna Aero for an 11am summit flight. We have a rental car. :confused:

Denali to Talkeetna is 153 miles - figure 3 hours to be safe, but it will actually be a bit less, as traffic for most of that route (the Parks Highway part) moves along at 60-65 mph usually.

Murray

I say allow 3 1/2 hours, the Spur Road can be slow, and you never know what you are going to get behind on the Parks. I would book a later flight anyway. This highway can offer some ad lib stops, that may be of interest.

Thanks BQ and Murray. Looks like it will be an early wake-up call for us. I can't change the flight time because that is the time I need to use for the toursaver coupon. We will be doing our sightseeing on the way up on the drive from Anchorage to Denali 2 days before.

I would still suggest you may want to consider scheduling this for your trip to Denali Park- if a priority. These flights are sometimes canceled. My last trip had 4 reschedules and never did make it. :( As another suggestion- I would leave Denali Park late afternoon/evening and do the drive then to Talkeetna.

You will need to be at Talkeetna Aero by 10:30am, you may want to call them and make sure the flight is going if iffy weather, then reschedule over the phone if available??

Archived