Japan Cruise excursion tax

I recently read on the boards that Holland excursions taken in Japan get an added charge or tax of $10 once you are on board.

Can anyone who recently experienced this clarify if it is $10 per excursion or per person taking the excursion.

Thanks

We were charged an extra charge on some of our excursions in Japan.  It just showed up as a ship charge.   They sent a letter to our cabin explaining the details…. Which I don’t remember the ‘details’ but I do remember the charge.   We were in Japan in April for 16 days and then did the TP to Seattle on Westerdam.  Great cruise.  

thanks for the info. I wonder why Holland does not inform passengers about this charge ahead of time instead of springing it on them and just slip it into the onboard account without explanation until after the fact. Doesn't seem like a very productive way to do it. They could save a lot of manpower, time and paper, not to mention some passenger aggravation if they advised people ahead of time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kansas2018 said:

thanks for the info. I wonder why Holland does not inform passengers about this charge ahead of time instead of springing it on them and just slip it into the onboard account without explanation until after the fact. Doesn't seem like a very productive way to do it. They could save a lot of manpower, time and paper, not to mention some passenger aggravation if they advised people ahead of time. 

Post #2 states a letter was sent explaining the details, although they didn't say whether it was before or after the fact.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kansas2018 said:

I recently read on the boards that Holland excursions taken in Japan get an added charge or tax of $10 once you are on board.

Can anyone who recently experienced this clarify if it is $10 per excursion or per person taking the excursion.

Thanks

We were charged a $10 dollar tax on excursions that had bus transportation. At the first shore exc. shore talk we were given a heads up and were told that it was a new tax imposed by Japan to help the bus transportation (lack of drivers and other issues).

Thank You for that....Now it becomes a little clearer Hal did give everyone prior notice which makes a lot more sense.

Do you recall if it was a $10 per excursion charge or per person charge for these bus excursions.