Rome on your own

We have a cruise coming up on the Breakaway with a port call in Rome.  We have been to Rome multiple times, so we wanted to spend the day on our own.  We believe that NCL does a Rome on your own excursion, but I haven't seen it and the last time we cruised, we did their Ultimate Rome tour. 

If you have done this excursion, can you give me a quick review and some specifics?

Yes, we know that we can book the train and do it all on our own, but as far as transportation from the port to Rome, we would prefer it be provided by NCL in case there is an issue on the way back (we don't want the ship leaving without us).

I also did a search of the board before posting (this statement seems to be needed recently).

1 hour ago, jkbec101 said:

We have a cruise coming up on the Breakaway with a port call in Rome.  We have been to Rome multiple times, so we wanted to spend the day on our own.  We believe that NCL does a Rome on your own excursion, but I haven't seen it and the last time we cruised, we did their Ultimate Rome tour. 

If you have done this excursion, can you give me a quick review and some specifics?

Yes, we know that we can book the train and do it all on our own, but as far as transportation from the port to Rome, we would prefer it be provided by NCL in case there is an issue on the way back (we don't want the ship leaving without us).

I also did a search of the board before posting (this statement seems to be needed recently).

The ship may leave without you even if on a NCL excursion.  They don't guarantee the ship always waits for you, just that they will get you back to the ship.

12 minutes ago, drew69 said:

The ship may leave without you even if on a NCL excursion.  They don't guarantee the ship always waits for you, just that they will get you back to the ship.

True, but the ship is more apt to wait for a delayed excursion than leave.

2 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

We have been to Rome many times, including several times on NCL cruises.  We took the "Rome on Your Own" tour once, In November of 2014.  The drop off and pick locations may have changed over the years, but I expect the other aspects of the tour have remained about the same.  We boarded the bus on the pier right next to the ship.  It took about 75 minutes to get to Rome on that Sunday morning.  The tour guide furnished us with maps and instructions on when the bus would begin boarding for the return trip.  Our drop off and pick up point was on Via di S. Gregorio, next to the Palatine Hill about halfway between the Colosseum and the Circus Maximus.  As I recall, we had about six hours on our own.  We had been to many of the highlight sites previously, so we just strolled along the Forum, visited the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps before stopping for lunch at an outdoor cafe.  We continued our walk to Piazza Navona for gelati, then toured Castel Saint Angelo.  Our return path was along the banks of the Tiber, then through the length of the Circus Maximus and onto our bus.  The tour allowed us plenty of time for a relaxing stroll.  If you have been to Rome before and just want to revisit a few familiar spots, this tour is a great way to do that.

We have done this a few times. They used to drop you off at the Coloseum area but now it is at the opposite end up at the top of the city by the gates .... I cant think of the area by name. It is a simple drop off and pick up to take you back

I've visited Rome twice on cruise stops. We mostly do independent exploration and transport whenever we travel, including when we cruise. But the recommendation of my friend, an Italian teacher with relatives in Italy, was do not risk public transport in Italy if you have to arrive at a specific time. So with both Princess and NCL we did the "on your own" excursion, with the cruise line providing the transport.

• Like 2

3 times I’ve used Rome on your own with NCL & 3 different drop off points, Colosseum, near the Vatican and latest was near Piazza del Popolo 

they currently have extensive roadworks going on in Rome so I doubt the drop off will be near the Vatican but they should be able to tell you the drop offspring once on board.

I would really consider the train tho as it’s quicker and cheaper lis you can leave early if you see everything you planned 

• Like 1

The drop-off/pick-up has varied over the years (experience with NCL Epic ) but I remember it used to be by the Colosseum, then the last few times it was Piazza del Popolo.

The advantage of the Rome on your Own tour is that you are collected straight from the quayside and don't have to make your way through the port to the train station, although it is a pleasant walk along the seafront.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 3:15 PM, jkbec101 said:

Go to ncl.com and there is a Shore Excursions tab.  Click on Rome and all the shore excursions are listed along with the prices.  Do not sign into your account so as not to confuse the website.  

I was on the Escape in April and May, 2024, and decided to walk around Civitavecchia instead of going in to Rome since I also have been there many times.  I agree with other comments, much easier to have that tour pick you up at the ship instead of making your way to the train station, especially since you have been there many times also and just want to have a leisurely trip to and from Rome. 

4 hours ago, liking said:

I was on the Escape in April and May, 2024, and decided to walk around Civitavecchia instead of going in to Rome since I also have been there many times.

We've been to Rome many times, as well.  We also have spent a night in Civitavecchia several times prior to a cruise, so we have explored that city a lot as well.  The best tip I can offer is to avoid the many restaurants that line the sea coast road.  They are very touristy and the food is nothing to write home about.  Instead, walk a block into town (away from the sea) to the restaurants where the locals hang out.  You can find some outstanding meals there.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering what time you had to meet back at the bus to return to the ship (based on the time your cruise was scheduled to depart)?  Our cruise is currently scheduled to arrive at Civitavecchia at 6:45 am (departure at 7:00 pm) with our excursion showing a start/meeting time of 8:00 am.  It shows an estimated duration of 9 hours, which I am assuming includes the round trip transportation, so that would indicate the bus would be leaving Rome around maybe 3:30ish pm??  The Shore Excursion rep I spoke to was not able to give me any specifics and just was hoping to have a clearer picture of when we would need to wrap everything up in advance (especially since we won't know where the drop off/pick up point will be until that day).  Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Winterstar9 said:

Just wondering what time you had to meet back at the bus to return to the ship (based on the time your cruise was scheduled to depart)?  Our cruise is currently scheduled to arrive at Civitavecchia at 6:45 am (departure at 7:00 pm) with our excursion showing a start/meeting time of 8:00 am.  It shows an estimated duration of 9 hours, which I am assuming includes the round trip transportation, so that would indicate the bus would be leaving Rome around maybe 3:30ish pm??  The Shore Excursion rep I spoke to was not able to give me any specifics and just was hoping to have a clearer picture of when we would need to wrap everything up in advance (especially since we won't know where the drop off/pick up point will be until that day).  Thanks!

3-330 is about right.  Alternative would be get off the ship at 715-730 when it is cleared and take the train into Rome.