Liquor store at San Juan port ?

I was just reading a thraed about drinking Mimosa's on the balcony and it sounded like a great idea to me. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a liquor store at the port in San Juan. If there was I could get the champagne there instead of carrying it in my bag all the way from NY.Leaving on April 8th!!

After you go through the Security check point and X-Ray in the same building is a Duty Free Store with some very nice prices.We were unsure of buying some bottles and getting on the ship so we passed. Once we got on though we realized that after the Security point no one else checked you. After we had lunch 2 of us got off the ship with backpacks and went to the duty free and picked up a couple of bottles for our balcony pleasures. This was the only port set up like this.

After you go through the Security check point and X-Ray in the same building is a Duty Free Store with some very nice prices.We were unsure of buying some bottles and getting on the ship so we passed. Once we got on though we realized that after the Security point no one else checked you. After we had lunch 2 of us got off the ship with backpacks and went to the duty free and picked up a couple of bottles for our balcony pleasures. This was the only port set up like this.

Not entirely true.

After passing through customs, you still need to clear the ship's screening process. If they find liquor, they may hold them for you until your final day. So, be warned, you may not be able to consume all the goodies you just bought!

We were told that if you put it in your bags, they won't care. This was by the duty free folk. The bottles of wine were practically the only thing in my bag, which went through the scanners, and all the guy said to me was have a nice cruise.

We sailed on the Carnival Destiny in January 2005 and we were able to buy our alcohol right before boarding. We carried it in the bags provided at the store right in front of security and they do not say anything.

However, my understanding is that RCI departs from Pan Am Pier and that there is no place to buy your alcohol at the Pier. You would probably have to buy it before getting to the pier and try "smuggling" it on the ship.

I hope I'm wrong but that was what I was told.

Let's lay this to rest once and for all. 1)The AOS departs from the Pan American Pier. 2) There is a duty free liqour store in the first of the two terminal buildings 3) You can purchase liqour from it and place it in your CARRY ON luggage. 4) They pass you through the scanners prior to boarding 5) THEY DO NOT CONFISCATE IT!!!

Location of Pan American Pier: http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

PS Let me clarify, the store is IN the terminal right across from the registration desks - IN PLAIN SITE of the RCI personnel. They have full knowledge of what is going on. The store asks you to be discreet and place your purchases in your carry on. Not to hide, just not to "offend" the other passengers - I guess. You can even board the ship and exit later to go down to the store and "load-up". It is just the way it is in San Juan. They even pass out sales flyers to the passengers waiting to board. Despite RCI's published policies, it is not enforced strictly in San Juan.

If you do not see the store in the terminal you are in - YOU ARE IN TERMINAL TWO. Walk next door to terminal one and buy your booze. Very, very easy!

Thank you rascalious,

That anwsers my question.

You are very welcome. I didn't mean to sound "preechy", but I get frustrated at others giving out information that is wrong. The Pan American Pier does have a duty-free store for liqour purchases. Maybe their ship was at terminal two, so they never knew it was in terminal one. We sailed AOS in 2003 and were docked at the first terminal - so I knew it was there. In 2004 we docked at terminal two - no duty free store. It took me a few minutes to realize we were not at the same terminal as 2003. I simply trotted to terminal one, bought the booze and trotted back - No Problem.

I was just reading a thraed about drinking Mimosa's on the balcony and it sounded like a great idea to me. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a liquor store at the port in San Juan. If there was I could get the champagne there instead of carrying it in my bag all the way from NY.Leaving on April 8th!!

Karen, come back and post on our thread!

See you in less than 2 weeks!

We took the Serenade out of the Pan Am pier. We must have gone out of Term 2 because I don't remember seeing any Duty Free store and was unaware of one in Term 1. However we did havea a bottle of rum in our carry on and after it went thru the scanner Royal Carib security took it. Of course we forgot to pick it up upon return. We did have some rum in water bottles so they were fine. Just the one in a Bacardi bottle were taken. So beware, they may not turn a blind eye.

Rascalious - sorry if I upset you by wrong information. I said in my reply that "it was my understanding..." I think we are all here to get information from each other and learn hints from each other. I was obviously in error and am happy that you set me straight.

Bought four liters of Crown Royal and walked them right on the AOS in my carry on. Purchased at the duty free shop in Term. 1. Did it in 2003 and again in 2004. I have heard recent reviews that describe the same scenario. Keep your receipt as you will have to declare duty-free purchases at the end of the cruise.

We did have priority boarding, but went through the same screening as all the rest of the ship.

Rascalious - sorry if I upset you by wrong information. I said in my reply that "it was my understanding..." I think we are all here to get information from each other and learn hints from each other. I was obviously in error and am happy that you set me straight.

Absolutely not picking on you or singling you out. It is a common reply that the Pan American Pier has no place to purchase liqour. I happen to know it does. One would think otherwise if they only had Terminal Two experience. I have sailed from both, so I remember that the first terminal across the Dos Hermanos bridge has the store.

Absolutely not picking on you or singling you out. It is a common reply that the Pan American Pier has no place to purchase liqour. I happen to know it does. One would think otherwise if they only had Terminal Two experience. I have sailed from both, so I remember that the first terminal across the Dos Hermanos bridge has the store.:)

Archived