Car rental ANC in June 2025

hmcrn

We are planning on coming in early before our cruise and renting a car to drive around for a few days.  

I have looked online at a few car rental agencies at ANC, and they are stating that there are no cars available for my dates, or there is only the "manager's special" (which scares me a bit).  

Is this normal this far out?  Or do i need to wait until we get closer? Or do you get more selection if you rent from an off airport agency?

I would love any and all advice please!  

Thank you!

What are your dates?  Who did you try to book with?  Try Midnight Sun Car and Van Rental or even Turo which is like airbnb for cars.  I don't know if you are too far out or not.  I fly into various Alaska towns and I seem to be able to find rental cars.  I do agree to get a rental for a "few days" before your cruise.  What dates do you fly in and cruise out and where is your cruise departing from?.  It does make a difference in terms of where you will be able to go and for how long.  

Thanks @AKJonesy - as stated in the title, we are flying in June of 2025 to ANC.  

I was hoping to rent at the airport and return there as well, but could rent in town (Anchorage.

I looked at Hertz, Avis and Enterprise before giving up. Didn't know if Midnight Sun Car was reliable?  (no, didn't Google reviews yet) 

Three day rental is what we are looking at. A Thursday to a Saturday. 

33 minutes ago, hmcrn said:

Thanks @AKJonesy - as stated in the title, we are flying in June of 2025 to ANC.  

I was hoping to rent at the airport and return there as well, but could rent in town (Anchorage.

I looked at Hertz, Avis and Enterprise before giving up. Didn't know if Midnight Sun Car was reliable?  (no, didn't Google reviews yet) 

Did you look at various classes of cars? Sometimes we have to get a different class.  Also check places other than car rental sites, like Expedia. 

2 hours ago, hmcrn said:

Is the first day of that 3 day rental an arrival day?  I assume you would be dropping the car off on Saturday to catch your cruise?  Three day rental honestly means nothing, and it matters when you arrive, collect the car and when you have to drop it off.  

We have rented twice from Avis in town.  Deal with the Anchorage office directly (an online order may be lost) and save your paperwork.  Anchorage airport rental fees are higher than renting in town.  I’m not sure about timing but if you call before the end of the tourist season someone should answer the phone.  We have done the drop off after hours and had no issues.  We take pictures of the car when we pick it up and when we return it.