What do you do in Key West?

We had time to take a tour of the city, walk around the town & tour Earnest Hemingway's home. Make sure that you visit the Key Lime Shop, the key lime pie is wonderful! Some people rent bicycles or scooters, we just walked.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Big Red Boat 1984

Enchantment of the Seas 1998

Monarch of the Seas 2002

Triumph 2002

Fantasy 2000 & 2004

Sensation 2003

Miracle 2005

You must go to Margarettaville. It's a hoot. Along the pier near the yachts, there is a huge open air bar type place. It seemed like they were having a blast. We didn't have the time. Make the time! Go to Mallery Square. It's too bad you won't be there for the sunset festival every night. It's awesome!

At the end of Mallery Square look for the tallest motel and you can go to the top for a wonderful brunch and see all of the views. I don't know the name of the place and we didn't do it, but I was told it is breathtaking. Have fun.

We took the Conch Train. (This is one ticket that you oughtta purchase from the cruise line, tho. It got us a discount.) It was a narrated tour that took us to a lot of sights.

Hawaii on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2005;5;18;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1000

There is so much to do in KW within easy walking distance of Mallory Square. Last time we visited, we walked to the Southern Most Point to get pics with the kids, then headed to the KW Butterfly Conservatory (fairly new to KW, only been open about a year) and everyone just loved it, even my 16 yo Gothboy! I have a picture of him with a butterfly sitting on his arm. He looks absolutely amazed. Highly recommend it.

Shirley

cruising-courtesy-kindness

Surprise! 4 Night to Canada on the Victory . . . July 22, 2004

4-Night Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 10, 2005

Family spring break cruise on the Dawn . . . April 17, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01, 4/03, 5/04

RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

Here's a link I came across a while back: Keywest. Not sure if this helps you or not (I've yet to really go through it myself), but I hope it does! icon_smile.gif

cubs_45.gifgreenlanthal.gifflash.gif

030203usf_prv.gif

05/24/03 Celebration -- Our first cruise!

12/07/03 Conquest

11/01/04 -- Fascination!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;11;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OK thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the info.

I just thought it was such a short time to see everything. Are these stores in walking distance of the pier? icon_smile.gif I'm sure we will eat breakfast first then leave the ship at around 9am then we need to be back on before 2pm.

I really would love to see what these Kinos sandals look like. Everyone writes about these sandals and loves them, I'm curious to see what they look like. (do you have a photo???)icon_smile.gif

My next stop would be to eat a refreshing slice of Key Lime Pie, although I never eaten it before I'm sure I will enjoy it. Is it like a lemon lime taste with a marshmello topping? icon_confused.gif

The Conch Train sounds exciting, how much is it?

Margarettaville sounds like fun too...I wonder if its opened in the morning hours?

Thanks for the KW link. (love it)

Oh by the way, keep the info coming...

Facination July 12 2004

Victory June 28 2004

Victory Aug. 28 2003

Triumph July 2002

We have been to Key West numerous times. The conch train is great. We didn't go last year but did the year before. I think it was $7. Well worth it. If you are into hisotry Harry Truman's little white house is in the Truman Annex which is within easy walking distance of the pier. There is also a nice beach and old Fort in Truman annex. It is in Fort Zachary state park. Very nice. Walking down Duval st is always fun. There are cool shops, great restaurants and bars and lots of people watching.

We were there about 10 years ago, and I hope this place is still there in the middle of town:

A museum with all the gems and gold treasures that were on the Atocha (spelled right??) ship that was found off the coast of Florida a while ago. That was very interesting..They also had old treasures found on Spanish fleet ships. Yes, the conch train was nice too. Have a great time! icon_cool.gif

Celebrating 30th cruise soon....

OH MY GOSH!!!! I'm a total shoe freak! How did I miss this place?? icon_confused.gif I've been to Key West twice and never heard of it. Now I have to go back....like that would kill me!

Marcia

Carnival Ecstasy

Regal Empress

Carnival Jubilee

Celebrity Horizon

Carnival Destiny

We are scheduled to be in Key West about 5 or 6 hours on a 1/15 Celebration sailing. Do you think the ship will use the renovated pier by then, and if so, is it convenient to the tourist shopping areas for shirts etc. We plan on doing the conch train, or trolley depending on what Carnival sells. Where does the ship normally dock at while in Key west.

Jim

Carnival Miracle 3/04/04

Carnival Celebration 1/15/05

Zaandam in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

DRINK!!!!

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

hounds3.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

I would recommend the Hemingway House tour. Having read many of his novels it really was interesting for learn more about the man behind the novels. Turns out he's a regular joe like the rest of us.

Pat the Beancounter

If you want to do the Trolley I wouldn't buy it from the ship, unless things have changed the tour the ship sells doesn't allow you to get on and off the trolley. You can book it online from the link below and get a discount. Also you can get on and off to explore at a few places. Also highly recommend Kino's sandals. I love mine, they are very comfortable and very reasonably priced. I can't wait to go back next month and get some more! We went to Sloppy Joes just to say we had but preferred Margarittaville.

http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/product1.asp?SID=15&Product_ID=13&kc=y

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Rent bicycles. It's an easy island to tour on bike. Bike Duval St. and stop many times at the shops and/or Margaritaville.

Stop by Schooner's Wharf on Lazy Way Lane, take many photos. Bike through the cemetary with the raised tombs. It's really a neat adventure.

Stop at Five Brother's grocery for a cuban sandwich. Bike on over to The Southernmost Point for a real Kodak moment.

Then bike on over to the Lighthouse for a tour. Directly across the street is Hemingway's house for another tour.

Get the point?? There's lots to do and see in Key West. So much to see, so little time. Now if you were there in the evening, I'd have many more suggestions! (LOL) Have a great cruise!!!

Next Cruise(s).......

Glory, Eastern 7/04

Miracle 2/05

Flavia 4/76

Jubilee 6/02

Inspiration 7/03

Conquestadors! 1/04

Sensational be "Coz" 5/04

Archived