No more Simply More

Jancruz

2 hours ago, Thought2go said:

This wording is new and just arrived from my TA on an email about upcoming luxury cruises.

Travel advisors may charge an additional planning fee depending on the complexity of the trip.

Are we going to see reduced perks from our TA’s along with them charging for their costs?? I’m not seeing paid gratuities on any of their offerings as I did before. I’m seeing Nothing more than what the Cruise lines are offering directly. Are the cruise lines squeezing TAs too?? Are these “planning fees” to make up the difference?

Yes

Jancruz1

I just booked our 1st Oceania for Jan 2026.  Since final payment is due 181 days prior to sailing, I will reevaluate this cruise alongside other luxury lines offering similar itineraries.  I have no problem losing the $300 deposit and rebook with another line if they play games.

27 minutes ago, as3369 said:

I just booked our 1st Oceania for Jan 2026.  Since final payment is due 181 days prior to sailing, I will reevaluate this cruise alongside other luxury lines offering similar itineraries.  I have no problem losing the $300 deposit and rebook with another line if they play games.

Count us as cruisers who have cruised on several real luxury lines (Crystal, Explora Journeys, Seabourn, Silversea).  A few months ago we finally took our first O cruise on the beautiful Vista, after being "shamed" into giving O a try by Flatbush Flyer who is a well known CC poster who has long championed O.   The Vista is a terrific ship and, for the most part, both DW and I were impressed with the O product.  That being said, O is not a luxury line and should not be confused as such.  Consider that the true luxury lines are essentially all-inclusive, have no coerced tipping, generally include unlimited adult beverages, and have a passenger space ratio in excess of O.  In fact, all the luxury lines that we have cruised are all suites!  

We do think that the new Vista, comes very close to being comparable to the luxury line ships.  But the older "R" ships that are operated by O, are not even close to a true luxury ship.  Those R ships have relatively small cabins (not suites) with cabin bathrooms that are what one would expect on a budget line...not a luxury line.  

We agree with Flatbush Flyer that O should be classed as a Premium Line, along with a a few other lines (Azamara and Viking).  We do think that O plays too many "games" with their booking options (this is not a norm with luxury lines).  Our first O cruise was taken under the new Simply More program, and we thought the program a bit too complex and silly.  We were OK with SM, because both DW and I enjoy adult beverages and liked the included Internet package.  

O could turn the new Vista (and upcoming Allura) into luxury ships, but they would first need to make that commitment and stop with the silly booking games.   Consider that when we book with Seabourn (just returned from 3 weeks on their Encore) we simply pay the fare which includes tips, Internet, unlimited beverages, bottles of booze put in our suite, etc.  On Seabourn there are no extra fees to use any dining venue (some other luxury lines have a few add-on dining options).  

As this point in time, I have no problem recommending the Vista or Allura to my friends.  But I will not recommend an "R" ship to anyone looking for anything close to a luxury line.  And I will add that the main Theater on the Vista, is appalling in its design!  Strange that the designers could design such a gorgeous vessel, provide very nice cabins and cabin bathrooms, and than fall flat on their face with the design of a showroom that has the worst sight lines at sea!  What on earth were they thinking?

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Count us as cruisers who have cruised on several real luxury lines (Crystal, Explora Journeys, Seabourn, Silversea).  A few months ago we finally took our first O cruise on the beautiful Vista, after being "shamed" into giving O a try by Flatbush Flyer who is a well known CC poster who has long championed O.   The Vista is a terrific ship and, for the most part, both DW and I were impressed with the O product.  That being said, O is not a luxury line and should not be confused as such.  Consider that the true luxury lines are essentially all-inclusive, have no coerced tipping, generally include unlimited adult beverages, and have a passenger space ratio in excess of O.  In fact, all the luxury lines that we have cruised are all suites!  

We do think that the new Vista, comes very close to being comparable to the luxury line ships.  But the older "R" ships that are operated by O, are not even close to a true luxury ship.  Those R ships have relatively small cabins (not suites) with cabin bathrooms that are what one would expect on a budget line...not a luxury line.  

We agree with Flatbush Flyer that O should be classed as a Premium Line, along with a a few other lines (Azamara and Viking).  We do think that O plays too many "games" with their booking options (this is not a norm with luxury lines).  Our first O cruise was taken under the new Simply More program, and we thought the program a bit too complex and silly.  We were OK with SM, because both DW and I enjoy adult beverages and liked the included Internet package.  

O could turn the new Vista (and upcoming Allura) into luxury ships, but they would first need to make that commitment and stop with the silly booking games.   Consider that when we book with Seabourn (just returned from 3 weeks on their Encore) we simply pay the fare which includes tips, Internet, unlimited beverages, bottles of booze put in our suite, etc.  On Seabourn there are no extra fees to use any dining venue (some other luxury lines have a few add-on dining options).  

As this point in time, I have no problem recommending the Vista or Allura to my friends.  But I will not recommend an "R" ship to anyone looking for anything close to a luxury line.  And I will add that the main Theater on the Vista, is appalling in its design!  Strange that the designers could design such a gorgeous vessel, provide very nice cabins and cabin bathrooms, and than fall flat on their face with the design of a showroom that has the worst sight lines at sea!  What on earth were they thinking?

Hank

Thanks for your input!  We have sailed on Regent Splendor (and sailing her again in April) and Explora Journeys earlier this year.  These are the only luxury line experiences we've had.  Many of our fellow passengers on Regent sailing last year urged us to try Seabourn but so far, haven't found the itinerary that works for us.  I understand that Oceania is not considered luxury but for the price we are paying (14k pp) for the Marina sailing in a Penthouse Suite, I'm sure that I can consider luxury lines for a similar (even if a little more) cost.

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As this point in time, I have no problem recommending the Vista or Allura to my friends.  But I will not recommend an "R" ship to anyone looking for anything close to a luxury line.  And I will add that the main Theater on the Vista, is appalling in its design!  Strange that the designers could design such a gorgeous vessel, provide very nice cabins and cabin bathrooms, and than fall flat on their face with the design of a showroom that has the worst sight lines at sea!  What on earth were they thinking

Well said. I will add that unfortunately I need to add the Vista to my "no" list along with the R ships because of the horrible lack of soundproofing between cabin walls. Indeed, those responsible for the poorly designed soundproofing, horrible theatre seating and sight line design, lack of aft elevators/stairs access to deck 5 and far too small a gym are guilty of architectural  malpractice, IMHO. Hopefully at least the poor soundproofing will be fixed on the Allura. We recently disembarked from a 25 night cruise on the refurbished Marina. We especially loved the better theatre, decent sized gym and many assets the Vista lacks. We were in a beautiful totally redone PH. I will say it is a shame they did not do major refurbishing of non PH cabins during this drydock, but glad they added Aquamor. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edgee said:

Well said. I will add that unfortunately I need to add the Vista to my "no" list along with the R ships because of the horrible lack of soundproofing between cabin walls. Indeed, those responsible for the poorly designed soundproofing, horrible theatre seating and sight line design, lack of aft elevators/stairs access to deck 5 and far too small a gym are guilty of architectural  malpractice, IMHO. Hopefully at least the poor soundproofing will be fixed on the Allura. We recently disembarked from a 25 night cruise on the refurbished Marina. We especially loved the better theatre, decent sized gym and many assets the Vista lacks. We were in a beautiful totally redone PH. I will say it is a shame they did not do major refurbishing of non PH cabins during this drydock, but glad they added Aquamor. 

That is just unacceptable for a new cruise ship... I have read several posts and watched YouTube videos where passengers describe the soundproofing issues.  

• Like 1