Long Beach or San Pedro?

itzkaren

I need the help of "cruise experts"...........we're sailing on the Paradise in May, and want to spend the night before in a hotel. What's the travel distance difference to the Queen Mary check-in between Long Beach and San Pedro hotels? Any preferances out there? We have 3 couples, need 3 rooms and will probably use the "park and sail" feature, if available.

For those familiar with the area, this may seem like a silly question. But we live 400 miles from there.....and I just can figure it out! According to the maps, they appear very close, but when I look at hotel listings, they have Best Westerns, Holiday Inns, etc. in both towns. We would also like to "stay put" when we arrive at the hotel and would be interested in a hotel that is walking distance to a restaurant for Sunday night's dinner.

Thanks for any help you can offer! Can't wait to sail on May 1st!! :p

Last year in Oct, we booked The Coast Hotel and loved it, We had a room facing the QM2 and saw the fireworks over the QM2 at 9pm. Since we drove we booked the Park and Sail package at 165.00. The rooms are very nice with a balcony. Parking for the week and Breakfast was included. They also shuttle you to the Terminal and pick you up, probably a 3 mintue ride there, very close.

I called The Coast Hotel today and booked again for Sept 9th, with the awesome experience I had there and The Reef Restaurant down the street I wouldnt pick another place. Todays rates, not sure if its because we will have 3 Adults in the room was 210.00

Fred

It's approximately 6 miles from San Pedro to Long Beach. We're sailing on the Paradise on April 10, (4 of us moms and our daughters). I booked the Marina Hotel in San Pedro through Priceline for a great price. This is the third time I've booked this hotel through them. The last two times through Priceline it was only $45. This time it's $72. Still a great deal for a 3-star hotel with these amenities. They have FREE parking or the duration of your cruise and a FREE shuttle to and from the ports. Also, they shuttle you FREE within in a 5 mile radius. The last time we were there they shuttled us over to the Acapulco restaurant and we parked our car in their lot while we cruised for 10 nights. They also have a restaurant on the premises, as well as a small gift shop. It's located on the Cabrillo Marina. We'll also be driving down the day before. Around 365 miles. Here's a link to the Marina Hotel. A bargain for $72, especially with free parking and shuttle.

Marina Hotel San Pedro – San Pedro / Port of Los Angeles

I need the help of "cruise experts"...........we're sailing on the Paradise in May, and want to spend the night before in a hotel. What's the travel distance difference to the Queen Mary check-in between Long Beach and San Pedro hotels? Any preferances out there? We have 3 couples, need 3 rooms and will probably use the "park and sail" feature, if available.

For those familiar with the area, this may seem like a silly question. But we live 400 miles from there.....and I just can figure it out! According to the maps, they appear very close, but when I look at hotel listings, they have Best Westerns, Holiday Inns, etc. in both towns. We would also like to "stay put" when we arrive at the hotel and would be interested in a hotel that is walking distance to a restaurant for Sunday night's dinner.

Thanks for any help you can offer! Can't wait to sail on May 1st!! :p

Let me put it to you this way. San Pedro is an industrial area. If you were leaving out of San Pedro, I would suggest you stay in Long Beach. Since you are leaving out of Long Beach - stay in Long Beach.

To answer your question, the travel time between the two ports is about 10 - 15 minutes.

Here is where you are headed ...

LongBeach.jpg">

Thanks for all of the info......and the GREAT pictures! I checked out the Coast Hotel site......and there aren't any rooms available for the night we need. I know there are plenty of options....and really, it's simply a place to sleep.....after a long drive and the night before our cruise! Either Long Beach or San Pedro will have us close enough to get to port by 10:30am on the day of our cruise.

A friend has found a place in San Pedro........think we'll just end up staying there....

Thanks again!!:)

And, let me put it this way. ;) There are 8 of us traveling down there ALL on a budget. (4 moms and 4 daughters). Myself, if it were just my daughter and me and we were embarking in Long Beach (as we are now)...I probably would stay in LB if I could get a decent rate at a hotel close to the port, ie; Coast Hotel or others. However, since I have to think of the 3 other women in my group who are splitting the rate (and told me not to get anything too costly or fancy)...I decided to use Priceline as I have in the past for the Marina Hotel in San Pedro, which is a hop, skip and a jump from Long Beach. If it hadn't offered FREE parking, FREE shuttle, etc. I definitely would have considered a hotel in Long Beach. But, I had to take all these little things into consideration. Also, by the time we get down there we won't have anytime for sight-seeing. And, when we disembark 4 days later, we'll be hopping in our cars and heading home home. It's a long drive.

It's not easy being a cruise coordinator for a-buncha women. :p :rolleyes:

Let me put it to you this way. San Pedro is an industrial area. If you were leaving out of San Pedro, I would suggest you stay in Long Beach. Since you are leaving out of Long Beach - stay in Long Beach.

To answer your question, the travel time between the two ports is about 10 - 15 minutes.

Here is where you are headed ...

LongBeach.jpg">

That's all it is for us, too. Just a clean place to spend the night before our cruise. If it's TOO nice we wouldn't want to leave to get on the ship! LOL

Actually, I kind of felt that way this last August when we sailed out of Seattle to Alaska. The day before we spent the night at the Alexis Hotel in downtown Seattle. I got a great bargain through Priceline. They're a nice little boutique hotel---4-star. And, we were treated like royalty. And the room they gave us was actually a huge suite! They knew we would be celebrating our daughter's 13th birthday so they had a nice note for her in the room with a bottle of sparkling apple cider on ice and box of Jelly Bellies. We just thought that was so nice. And, as I said, I almost hated to leave all that to embark on our ship! LOL :p

So, you see, just a place to lay your head without too many frills is always best before a cruise. :D

.... I know there are plenty of options....and really, it's simply a place to sleep.....after a long drive and the night before our cruise! Either Long Beach or San Pedro will have us close enough to get to port by 10:30am on the day of our cruise.

A friend has found a place in San Pedro........think we'll just end up staying there....

Thanks again!!:)

We also got the Marina for $72 on Priceline (for 4/9/06). We're sailing on the NCL STAR 4/10). Tried several times to get cheaper, but no success. It's convenience though - so we are satisifed. Kinda wanted to stay at the Coast Hotel - but didn't want to spring for the cost. Not cheap - just want to spend that money elsewhere. :)

We took the Paradise two years ago, did a reverse (Park, Cruise, Spend the night) with the Sunrise Best Western in San Pedro. No charge to park, free shuttle, etc. A TA set the deal up for us that way, as we wouldn't get into the area until around noon on cruise day, but had free time after the cruise.

Hotel is an older facility, but clean with good rooms. Restraunt next door (think Denny's, but a different name) and a few nicer places across the street and down the block by the water. Ok for a quick trip on a budget, but no three or four stars either. Very close if you are cruising out of San Pedro (RCI & others, I think).

We got to the hotel around 12:30 or so, and discovered that their "free shuttle" only ran from 9:00 am to noon. We ended up waiting 45 minutes for a $14 cab ride to the Port of Long Beach to catch the Carnival ship. No a bad price for the 3 of us, but not the way we wanted to start the cruise, either.

The Port of Long Beach, and the Carnival facilities are too far to walk from any hotel except the Queen Mary. Please double check the shuttle times and save yourself the frustration I endured.

My bottom line? Next time I'll stay in Long Beach, and plan to be in the hotel the night prior to the cruise.

Ski when the powder's deep,

Cruise when it melts.

Hi everyone

Great info here about different hotel options and the difference between Long Beach and San Pedro. Makes sense now........but.......we're traveling with 2 other couples.....I made all of the cruise reservations and my friend came up with a hotel "that her friend stayed at and it was really nice"........although I was all ready to give Priceline a try and go for the Marina Hotel.....we have decided to go with the Best Western Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro. I need to learn to "share in the duties" and not do it all!

That said......when I called to book this room, I was asked if we were going on a cruise......"Yes"....was my answer, and I was quoted a $139 plus tax price. We can leave our car there.....and the shuttle is free. Since it's a "package", we don't qualify for AAA discount.......our friends will get a lower rate....since we're the ones with a car. But we just all want to be at the same place the night before. From previous poster......glad we want the shuttle to take us around 10am.......or we'd be in trouble! So, while the Best Western wouldn't be my first choice........I think it will be the best choice so that our friends feel included in the planning of this cruise. The other 2 couples are going on their first cruise.....and I hope this is the beginning on an annual getaway for us. We work hard.....and like to play hard! I think they will see that going on a cruise is the perfect getaway.

As we've said on previous posts........it's just a place to sleep the night before and it sounds like there are plenty of restaurant options close by for Sunday night........then it will be off to sleep (try to)...and get up to go to the port by 10:30am on Monday....and off we go!!! The "night before hotel"......is not a "destination" for us.....just a necessity! I know that it will be just fine........positive attitude, all the way!

And......when we get back, I'll post info on our experience to share with you all!

Again.....many thanks for the help.....and for the pictures......those are great to look at.........wow.....this "anticipation stage" is sure fun.....and takes up lots of time during the day! ;)

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western in Long Beach RECENTLY? The reviews on TripAdvisor in the past have been horrible, but it seems to have gotten better recently. They have a park & sail that is a little less expensive than the Coast. Still trying to debate on staying with this or trying for Marina on Priceline to cut my cost by $50 or more. I can't remember, does the Marina shuttle you over to Long Beach too?

Archived