Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

Maybe what I should do is put on all my planned outfits...take pictures...and let y'all decide! Not..I going to wing-it and maybe go shopping.

Glacierlady if you are asking me how to post pics on this website...I'm clueless! I have been trying to figure out how to put a small picture by my name. I could ask one of my boys and have it done in seconds...but my pride won't allow me to ask! Imagine how accomplished I will feel once I complete this task.:D

I love the idea of putting out outfits and letting the true Alaskans decide what to wear!!!

Well since I'll be home all week next week, and I really don't want to spend all my time cleaning:( , I guess I'll just have to go shopping!!

Glacier Lady, Thanks for telling me my capris, tees, and sandals will work. At least I can pack one or two outfits for on the ship!!

Suntan Sailor, thanks for the tip on the socks. I bought them for that trip to denver that I had ten bags:rolleyes:, they have been packed away ever since. Our average temperature for the month of March was around 80.

:p Glacierlady........I can handle those temperatures. I really can't wait until we cruise. I am sure I will look like a tourist. I won't be wearing a big down jacket. I plan on only bringing one jacket with me. It is a fleece lined rain jacket. I will layer up under that if I need too. But, if the temps are in the 40s & 50's, I'll be very comfortable.

Hope you are able to post pictures, but don't dress someone up to look silly and tell us this is how they dress just to make us look silly :D

OMG...I'm laughing so hard! 85 degrees I would melt into a ocean!!! Ok, You guys better bring down parkas! Wait,ohh no... you'll have to buy them up here...time to go shopping...heehee

Seriously, I wouldn't worry so much about the weather and you can always buy some more clothes at the gift shops.

Temp today is in 40's and sunny. We got a couple inches of snow last night but it's already melted. Last week we had some 50's and wonderful sunny spring days! I've seen lots of 90's, esp around July and it seems sooooooo hot! I have heard of it snowing here in July but haven't witnessed it.

If I go take some pictures today...where do I put them to share on here???

A good website to post pictures is community.webshots.com. It's fairly easy! Then just provide us a link to it and we can view them.:)

Hope you are able to post pictures, but don't dress someone up to look silly and tell us this is how they dress just to make us look silly :D
This is an hilarious thread! But, I am also one of those who is wondering about the weather. I've decided on jeans, jeans, jeans (blue, black, beige) for the days, and my hiking boots (cause we definitely plan to do as much of that as possible) and black Traveller long skirt and slacks with various tops for the evenings. I brought two shawls with me on my first cruise but never wore them (and one of them was darned expensive, too). I have never been cold on a ship [yet].

I can hardly wait to see those photos!

Pharmom, just saw your post when I posted. We bought the Land's End 3-in-1 jackets, too. They've come in handy here, as it's rained almost every day for over a month.

I have to admit I went to bed laughing. I have never put as much thought into packing as I have this trip. My DH had a valid point...He said Honey don't you think people who live in Alaska have to shop for clothes....Yes, I said and your point....Anything you don't take and need I am sure you can buy. OK that is his one good point for the year!

I broke down and coughed up some money on good socks. I don't like cold feet. I think I will always remember Galcierladys "Death by cotton" statement when she spoke of fabric choices, although it might be Death by Husband if I don't stop shopping for this trip!

It is 80 degrees here today...Absolutely Beautiful! I am off to race walk with a friend of mine...actually it is my Son and his girlfriend...shin splints here I come!;)

Sorry for the confusion. A light fleece lined windbreaker would be perfect, especially if it is baggy enough to fit over a sweatshirt or flannel shirt. You can wear the tank top under all this and hope we have a warm summer! When we say winter coats, most of us mean the big ones stuffed with feathers and trimmed with dead animals. A pair of shorts doesn't take up much room and I would never be up here in the summer without them. As to what to wear to dinner, anything will work but bring a sweater to throw on when someone sees whales (otters, bears, moose, eagles, the Exxon Valdez) and you all race outside - it will be chilly on the water. This isn't an easy place to pack for. Good socks - great idea. If you never need them - great. If you need them - you will be the envy of all.

When we say winter coats, most of us mean the big ones stuffed with feathers and trimmed with dead animals. .

OMG!!! Way too funny!! I do have one of those I wear maybe once or twice a year..if it's -20 with a 50+mph wind, windchill like -70. We don't get that often and not even every winter.

It's snowing right now (woohoooo I love the snow and yes, I'm wearing capris and a lightweight oversized jean shirt as a jacket with tennies and socks when I go outside..lol) and I'm thinking it's not a good example for taking pictures of what locals wear in spring/summer. I did take one of a guy with a snow blower and will work on some more pics. Almost took one of a kid with shorts and t-shirt on today out in the snow. :)

I am toast!!! Glacierlady you must have been raised in the North...I quiver like a small dog just thinking about capris and snow.

Alaskamt thanks for clearing up the pile=fleece can deal with that. Yes I will probably be one of the people in the mass stampede to see an otter, or whale or any other creature foreign to the South.

Cruise more...I must have had Sucker stamped on my forehead because I ordered two shawls for Alaska...thinking they would be handy for evenings on deck, and look fashionable. HA I would not be caught dead in either one. The first looks like a rug, smells like a rug and feels like a rug....hence the only use I would have for this atrocious garmet is door mat in the garage. The second one is homely but not as ugly! I am happy I Bought them on sale for 75% off. I know better than to try to shop for things like this online. Sorry about your rainy month. I am going to look on Lands End at the 3 and 1.

Thanks for all the helpful tips everybody.

I'm starting to get the idea, so far I'm packing jeans in a bunch of colors, a pile lined jacket, a feather stuffed-fur lined jacket, no capris, and socks that aren't cotton to wear with my sandals:D

Now for the rain I'm going to bring my Disney Poncho (Yes the yellow ones with Mickey on them, I think I am set:p

The real question is-Will I look like a real Alaskan or tourist? Glaciar Lady I really need to see those pictures!!

Hey I've been on a chaise lounge on the beach in South Beach in my swimsuit, surrounded by people in jackets and long pants headed for the hotel, so I know how differing people's perceptions of cold can be. Up here you are always better warm than cold - it is easy to take layers off but impossible to put them on if you don't have them! And the dog shawl probably would have been the height of fashion up here - you would have looked like a well-dressed local...Have fun, stay warm and Seward is a gorgeous town. But this snow is a bummer today....turned to rain because I washed my car yesterday. Sorry, GlacierLady.

Emarismom no no not the Socks with Sandals!

I'm with ya on the Mickey Poncho...

Alaskamt...I have no doubt that it is quite entertaining to watch the tourist parade down your streets. I chose the early sailing so you would still have the sense of humor about us instead of the end of the season when you can't wait to see the last ship leave. I was assuming that you are a local, but I just read your last post and you were speaking of South Beach.

Brunolvr...great pictures...thanks!

This is definitely one of my favorite threads! It's so nice to know I am not the only one agonizing over what to pack, how to pack lightly when you need different layers and jackets, and different outfits for day and night. We will all go to Land's End web site and be wearing the same 3 in 1 jacket in a rainbow of colors. :)

Deedee

When I do start packing I'll be cracking up the whole time:D

Actually on a serious note, should I bring the ponchos at least for my kids. We don't own any rain coats and have never had a need. Even though it rains here all summer, I really don't want to buy raincoats I will never wear. Maybe I can turn Mickey inside out, so it just looks like a yellow poncho:eek:

Put the kids in the ponchos - I'd say they'd be easy to spot that way - but we'll all be huddled in our ponchos too.

btw, our ponchos are leftovers from the Atlanta Olympics. I have to open them for the first time in how many years and see if they're stuck together!

When I do start packing I'll be cracking up the whole time:D

Actually on a serious note, should I bring the ponchos at least for my kids. We don't own any rain coats and have never had a need. Even though it rains here all summer, I really don't want to buy raincoats I will never wear. Maybe I can turn Mickey inside out, so it just looks like a yellow poncho:eek:

Last year on our cruise to Alaska we noticed that most of the larger gift shops sold rain ponchos for only a couple of dollars. So you could just wait until you get there and see what the weather does, and if necessary, buy them there! You might just luck out and not need them at all!;)

However I do recommend a good lightweight windbreaker jacket (also waterproof) that you can wear fleece or sweatshirt underneath. It did get very windy a few times on the ship! And don't forget gloves & a hat (not mouse ears)!

I went to Lands End this morning to check out the 3 in 1 jacket. Looks like a good investment. I like the fact the fleece lining zips out...not that there is any chance of me getting Hot.

I must be a complete NERD...on another site a lady told me about these ear pops...yes like I said Sucker stamped on the forehead...I ordered a pair...my family has not stopped laughing...I think they are kinda handy. www.earpops.com Yes they look as goofy on me as they do the model, but I am willing to be mocked for warm ears!:rolleyes:

I went to Lands End this morning to check out the 3 in 1 jacket. Looks like a good investment. I like the fact the fleece lining zips out...not that there is any chance of me getting Hot.

I must be a complete NERD...on another site a lady told me about these ear pops...yes like I said Sucker stamped on the forehead...I ordered a pair...my family has not stopped laughing...I think they are kinda handy. www.earpops.com Yes they look as goofy on me as they do the model, but I am willing to be mocked for warm ears!:rolleyes:

Do they have any earpops shaped like mouse ears for you-know-who?

Well mine's the purple/lavender combination. People wear black here all year (the "San Francisco color"), and I am SICK of it. But, boy do I stick out like a sore thumb.:D
I might just order these (if they come in purple). At least you won't have a bad hair day wearing them. Once I put my little wool beanie on, it's staying on. When I take it off, I look like a skinned cat!:eek:

I can hardly wait to come back to this thread. Keep it up, everyone!:D

Thank God we aren't all on the same ship!! Imagine how funny we would all look!! Oh the stares from the other passengers:p

I think I'll take the ponchos for the kids and buy some for hubby and I if need be. Hopefully that won't be necessary. The real question is "Will the kids even be willing to where them?" They would rather get wet I'm sure:rolleyes:

I wish we had more threads like this around here. I have been laughing so hard.

Thanks for the laughs! I'm in post-cruise depression; arrived home from the Caribbean two weeks ago and it's STILL snowing here -- so I decided to visit cruisecritic for some vicarious cruise excitement.

So here's my 2 cents on the clothing: I don't go to Southeast Alaska without a good rainjacket (mine came from LL Bean); I'd definitely recommend a waterproof layer, even if it's a poncho, especially for kids. A wet kid is a cold kid -- and a wet and cold kid will be a cranky kid (same probably holds true for adults). Also a fleece jacket and/or pullover. Mine (also from LL Bean) has a nylon type outer shell, which is good wind protection; my kids prefer the Columbia fleece jackets. I like fleece better than sweatshirts, which take a long time to dry; my kids often layer both. A 3-in-1 jacket will work great.

And if you're going to be glacier-viewing, bring a hat. We always bring a hat and lightweight gloves (the stretchy cheap kind) on outdoor trips, even in July -- they take up almost no room, and life is so much more pleasant when you are warm.

And, like a previous poster said, bring one pair of shorts. Think positive!

The packing problem is not unique to Alaska cruises-- I took several things to the Caribbean that didn't get worn. The problem is figuring out which half to leave behind -- while you're still at home. We did need our rainjackets in Costa Rica, and were really glad to have them. So I'd rather have a little too much than too little. It might not be convenient or even possible to get a poncho or whatever when you need it -- nor would I want to spend my vacation time in Walmart!

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived