Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

Hopelea...that is my sentiment too! I wanted to fly in 4 or 5 days before and see Denali but it was hard enough as is. I am sure we will return one day. I wish everyone on this thread were traveling together. It is a fun group. Everyone takes ribbing quite well. :)

Sayhello...I know what you mean about not soon enough! Are you going to Denali on the precruise tour? You will have to post your reveiw when you return.

I have this thing about needing to be in the front of the bus, or car, or plane...I'm sure you get the picture. This is why we have never planned a group tour...we always do private tours. I get queasy my DH swears I'm just a control freak but it is more than that.

I think these would look great with that attire and look at the price!!...:)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4645462

These are da boots! Perfect with the Mickey ponchos and ears.

We sail on May 19. Fly into Seattle the day before. We're on the plague ship, er, Celebrity Mercury.

We're supposed to let our husbands bring stuff? Won't that put us over the weight limit?

Yorkies as eagle bait? Wicked. We have an Aussie Terrier, but he and the two cats go to 'Miss Sherry's Pet Spa.'

I was forced by the pollen to dust today. It was already Yoga Day. That's too much exercise in one day.

Good Morning Everyone!!

Kyriecat, I think the original poter may have meant to write panty liners. You can figure out why.

Glacier Lady, Those "Extra Toughs" are great!! I'm going to be dressed to kill on this vacation:p

Tangerine Bunny, it looks like you will be the first of this bunch to get to AK this year. We will all be waiting anxiously for a trip report, with a detailed description of the things everyone wore.

Set2Travel, those babies are adorable. My little yorkie will be staying home as I

think my kids will change their tune when I tell them about GLacier Lady and thought that my puppy would be some eagle's dinner:eek:

deevmo, I am leaving Miami for Seattle on June 9. Then headed to Vancouver to sail on the Diamond on June 10. I really can't wait.

As for the shoes, I don't know what I am going to do. I'll try to get by with one pair of dress shoes, 2 waliking shoes (sneakers/hiking shoes), and maybe two pairs of casual flats or dressy sandals for casual evenings.

I'll really have time to plan after tomorrow, as I get off work for spring break!!!! I'm going to clean out everyone's closet during that time.

Good Morning.............

SPRING BREAK...........I wish it was ours. We are long past our spring break. Now all we have to look forward to is the last day of school May 25. Which is also the day we spend the night in Atlanta to catch our flight on the 26 to Seattle!!!

I guess I will bring one pair of sandals, one pair of waterproof, one pair tennis shoes and a pair of dress shoes for dinner. Husband will bring 2 and that is all.

I can't wait for all of us to come off the ship with our wardrobe that Glacierlady is helping us come up with.

getting lots of info. One stupid question, what does DH mean?

My two cents re clothes: bought the Lands End 3 in 1 squall jacket. Waterproof shell, zip in liner, figure I'm set for everything. And ear pops are the greatest, I've been wearing them for years. No bad hair days.

I wish you all wonderful cruising and traveling!

getting lots of info. One stupid question, what does DH mean?

!

DH means Darling?Dear Husband. How come we use that when sometimes they're not do darling:confused: ...

DW is Darling/Dear Wife, etc.

DH is a beautiful abbreviation cause it's so ambiguous.

Darling Husband? sometimes.

Dear Husband? yeah.

Dratted Husband? could be.

D***ed Husband? has been known to happen.

Note: DW always means Dear Wife. ;)

Shoewise, I'm addicted to Merrell clogs. Wonder how they look with a dinner dress?

Since this seems like the clothing thread my husband really thinks that I should invest in a gortex jacket for our trip to Alaska. I already have a Columbia three way jacket but he still thinks I would be better off with gortex. I am already looking into buying a pair of gortex pants since we will be doing a lot of fishing when we are in Alaska. For those who live in Alaska is gortex the way to go? And for everyone else, for shoes I usually wear athletic shoes but I am thinking I will need hiking boots, what brand do you think would be the most comfortable? Thanks

Good Morning. Yorkies as Eagle bait....thast eagle better be on steriods to try for copper...he weighs 14 lbs...he is a standard yorkie not a miniture. The other pup in the picture is my Bichon she weighs 12 pounds, and is the love of my life! They stay at a place called Waggin Tails Dog Spa and it is a true dog spa. I reserved them a double suite complete with day bed, t.v, and a plethera of toys. They sleep in my bed so they are groomed twice a week. The groomer will go there and work her magic while we are gone. I will miss them terribly!

Hey Vfb2girls and Yellow Otter! Sorry I was off subject with the last post I had started the post at 8:00 this morning and came back to it, so I did not see where you had posted. Glad you joined in our friendly discussion. :)

emarismom - we will just miss each other in the ports - I think the Regal stops at each port a day or 2 before the Diamond!

Just looked at the Regal itinerary and it looks sold out!

I'm from San Francisco, so I'm thinking the Alaskan summer should be like our winter. Anyone know if it is close?

GlacierLady - your Walmart probably has winter stuff still, but here all you see is spring and summer clothes. It's hard to find a rain coat - you almost have to go online to shop.

My problem is I overpack and then don't have what I really want to wear. :p

June cannot come soon enough.

Wow, this thread sure did grow! I won't say morning and good together though...lol I'm a night person.

I don't own any gortex and I love to fish. Your Columbia jacket would be fine.I don't recommend buying hiking boots just for Alaska and if you do make sure to get way ahead of time to break them in or you will be wishing for your tennies.

Wear what is most comfortable, you'll look silly if trying to make a fashion statement up here...we don't care. :)

Cute puppies ..I'm not joking on the eagle bait...sorry, but it does happen. They will even swoop down and take them off a chain. We have lots of fish over 14lb. Once I saw an eagle swoop down and take a fish right from a sea lion's mouth. I sure was wishing I would have had a video camera.

Has anyone thought about shopping Ebay?

I'm originally from northern Minnesota. The weather here is comparable to there and alot of times is milder both in summer and winter. I love giving my family back home a hard time when we have better weather, which happens alot.

The days are getting longer, 9pm and was still light out last night!!! WOOOHOOOO Summer is almost here!

Thanks for the heads up on the hiking boots, I usually don't wear them, just tennis shoes. What about when you fish? What rype of shoes do you usually wear? When we fish here I usually wear tennis shoes but end up with wet feet most of the time and I want to avoid wet feet at all costs. I was thinking about buying a pair of crocs for fishing this year so if they work out well I will drag them to Alaska. I am from North Dakota so I have some idea of what the weather will be like in Alaska. And to everyone else who has posted on this thread, hello! It is fun to hear from others who are not only planning their trip but trying to figure out what to wear, it is all part of the fun of planning. And to those who have those wonderful yellow ponchos, we were just in Disneyworld this past March and were very forunate not to have to use ours.No rain, just plenty of sunny weather.

Vfb2girls...I think some of the outfitters supply those tough boots for fishing excursions. You might want to check with group you have scheduled, although that would not help if you are fishing before or after the cruise part. I wanted to learn to flyfish while we in Alaska and the group would rent the whole outfit. Unfortunately we will not have the time for fly fishing this time. Glad you had good weather in Disney.

Glacierlady...Maybe I should wear one of those fluffy parkas that way I would look intimidating to the Eagles! Holy Cow they seem to be aggressive animals. Taking a fish out of a sea lion mouth that is nerve!

My Copper and CoCo were terrorized by a blue jay...stop laughing he was a very determined blue jay. We named him Sqwuak, and everytime the dogs went out in the morning he would dive bomb and peck the top of their head. We thought maybe he was protective of the cherry tree he sat in and raised cane all day...not...we took the dogs out different doors and that bird would nail my pups everytime. My Yorkie became so skittish that he would slither out the door like a snake looking both ways and haul boogie for the closest hikable object. He could potty in no time flat. CoCo on the other hand decided to make racket and she would bark like crazy from the time the door opened. Sqwuak was found dead at my neighbors door about two weeks after this began. My dogs owe that cat Big Time!:D

GlacierLady, you are absolutely right about the eagles. My 14 yr. old nephew had a close encounter with one on his bike. The eagle was about a foot away from his head when it decided he was just a tad too big. I'm originally from NW MN and now live in NW WI. The ice is just going off the lake & there are 2 circling looking for fish as I write this.

Speaking of the mickey poncho - I'm meeting up with a couple from my other favorite discusssion board (mousepad) - maybe I'll wear my mickey poncho so they'll be able to recognize me. lol They emailed me that they were also going on a cruise this summer, after reading my post - and it turned out to be the exact same cruise. (we live in the same part of CA)

I've started checking our thrift stores to find a warm jacket for when we're in Tracy Arm - I don't have a good one right now, and haven't really needed one. Stuff is cheap there!

Also, this thread had me laughing so much, my co-workers must think I'm nuts - good thing most of em are gone to lunch.

What are crocs? I wear tennies. Cheap over the shoe rubbers might work too and don't take up much space. Most important is that they aren't slippery on wet surfaces. What kind of fishing are you doing? Some will supply gear.

Did you forget that eagles like fluffy things? Rabbits, cats, mice and yes doggies. They will gang up on you for an eagle Thanksgiving feast.

Speaking of animals...you know those cute little sea otters that float on their backs...they are ugly and mean, rat looking creatures on land. And while I'm at it....my best friend is a native from a village up north..she goes into the Sealife Center and gets hungry...big fat seals good for eating, seal oil, soft fur for making clothing...everything in there she grew up eating and using for survivial. A different perspective that you outsiders might not realize. :)

Crocs are those plastic type shoes, they were very popular when we were in Florida, they sell them here in the sporting good stores but you can find them in Walmart, they just are the knockoff brand. Anyway they are suppose to be very comfortable shoes so I will give a report on them when I have tried them. We are going fishing for halibut and salmon, in Homer. We are going fishing with some friends that live in Homer and we haven't decided who to book our fishing charter with. I know some of the fishing charters do supply the gear so when we decide who to go with I will have to ask about the gear.

Wow Glacierlady your friend sounds fascinating...it is humbling to me that she lived off the land and here I worry about how many shoes to pack..UUGGGH! I am a city girl who loves the outdoors but I am the first to admit i am Spoiled...I love mountian biking and rafting and hiking and camping when its not too cold, but I also Love room service and a maid making my bed on vacation. Hearing about your friend makes me realize I take some things for granted.

As for the Eagles feast...I'm dieting so maybe I won't be worth the bother by the time I arrive! I am shocked to hear about those adorable Otters. I guess it just goes to show that looks can be deceiving.

Sounds like I'm going to be in Disneyland and not leaving home...lol

The Jack Daniels poncho could bring some good $$$ if you auctioned it on your cruise ...heehee

Nordstrom, LLBean...all these fancy places for big buck items. I do all my shopping at Walmart in Anch. Now you know why you stick out...lmao ;)

Tennis shoes and tall rubber boots called Extra Toughs are the norm for footwear. Mukluks are not good for wet climates and rarely are they worn here as we get too much rain year around, they are good for cold only. Some excursions will provide some weather gear. I would ask before packing something you might not need. You do need comfortable shoes that you can walk in all day.

I have a pair of these LL Bean low rubber moc "Bean Boots" and was wondering if they would work for our glacier excursions? http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=llbean-boots&categoryId=19068&parentCategory=9999&cat4=9977&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa9977

Where do you ride in Anchorage? We are going to ride outside of Skagway. I am looking forward to that day.

6arabianhorses..I am glad you posted the shoes...I have a pair of those and never thought about bringing them!

Right next to the zoo at a place called http://www.horsetrekkinalaska.com I ride in a nice 400 acre park and except for a plane overhead here and there, you would never know your actually in a city. I see moose almost everytime. They are open year around and also have wagon and sleigh rides and a really big house as a B&B. They are listed in the toursaver book as a 2 for 1 :)

Ohhh and look at what they are wearing...heehee

Archived