Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

As I started to freak I realized my DH had been munching on burned potato chips...hence the smell!:rolleyes:

I would have been absolutely terrified. OMG!!! Good thing it was just the chips - and that you realized that's what it was before you completely lost it. Wow!

We are just north Colorado Springs now in Black Forest. We have only been here since last summer. Before, we were about 20 minutes away from here. Been here almost 5 years total and it has been interesting getting used to this weather. One year, we really didn't have much of a summer, but it hit 100 degrees the end of May. The whole rest of the summer we were lucky to get out of the 60's or 70's. I never know what to expect and am obsessed with the weather now in a way that is probably unhealthy, LOL!!!:rolleyes:

emarismom - I'm originally from East Tennessee and was in Dallas, TX over 20 years. I was used to hot, humid weather and remember very well when 40 was cold. Now, 40 can feel so warm. The weather here might be 70 in January. It might be -12 or worse. Or, you may get those things a week apart. Just plain nutty! ... It is a LOT easier packing for stable temps, I totally agree! Yes, capris, sandals and tees are fine; you might not get to wear them outside or to a shore excursion, but you might and when appropriate, you can wear them onboard and/or to lunch or dinner, etc. Just bring some of the other stuff, too, and you may or may not need it. I think it helps to bring things that are multi-functional. The tee might be great onboard one day and worn again as a first or second layer on a cooler day in port. It all depends how tolerant you are about wearing clothes more than once or if you are having laundry done. Since I wear an undershirt most of the year, my regular tops are only "dirty" on the outside and if I wear them twice, it's no big deal, especially if another layer goes under and/or over them. (Does that make sense)?

Some how it seems as if this thread has gone full circle, it started off with

whether or not capris, sandals, and tee's were fine. I thought I figured this out a few days ago, and now I'm confused again:confused: .

Glacier Lady, for excursions can I plan on wearing what I normally wear-capris, sandals, and a tee with a light jacket? Of course I realize that the day I do the helicopter I should wear warmer clothes. I will definitely be cutting back on the shoes, but in all fairness when I took nine pairs on my last cruise, they were mostly sandals (in various colors), so they were very light. I was cruising out of Miami, where I live, so there was not the added hassles of flying. Just pack up and drive to the port.

Scrumpy, I'm with you, it is a different world where it gets cold. I have probably wore closed toe shoes less than ten times this winter!! It is so much easier to pack for one type of temperature. On the days it does get

cold here (around 40-45 degrees), I get annoyed at having to think about

what to put my kids in.

You'll be fine with capris,sandals and tees.... but don't hate me if you get cold. 40-45 is cold for summer up here. I've seen lots of 90's, but usually 60-70's, the sun seems closer too, at least to me. Rain can be uncomfortable and can cause you to feel cold and wind is a given around glaciers and on the water, you will need something warmer but how warm is dependant on how much you can tolerate. I would much rather be cold and moving around to warm up than hot and grumpy not wanting to do anything but to find a snowbank. :)

I spent the summer, I think 1980, in Stone Mountain, Georgia. It was sooooo hot and all the insects, poisionous snakes etc and boy when it rained ..it really rained!! No thanks...lol

Scrumpy, thanks for the heads up on the merrells, I will try out the kids size, I just might be able to fit in the smaller size. I would take the pair I own on our trip but they are looking pretty shabby now so I think I deserve a new pair.

Glacierlady...yes it can get really hot here and the mosquito should be on the state flag, but I love it here. I like the Northern part of the state the best...I love the mountians and lakes. I like the heat too...ok not the 100's but the mid 80's are nice. We stay out on the lake until the end of October, and have been know to have New Years Eve on the lake going from house to house in neighboring coves for progressive dinners. It was about 40 cold to me but it was fun!

Scrumpy..Now I know why we like you...your from the South! I have a cousin in Highland Ranch, and my Uncle was a Preacher at a Church in Steamboat. I have been visiting Breckenridge for 10 years and the coldest I have ever been was skiing in January (during Uller(sp) Fest) and it was -9...OMG I thought my toes were going to break off in my boot! I had some of those heat packs I can't remember the name but boy were they great. I have a few left in my ski drawer and might take them just in case.

Vfb2girls...I love my Merrells and have about wore them out too! I can't justify anymore shoes. I just bought the Borns a few weeks ago. The carry Merrells at onlineshoes.com I am a huge fan of Zappos but they don't carry them.

Scrumpy, thanks for the heads up on the merrells, I will try out the kids size, I just might be able to fit in the smaller size. I would take the pair I own on our trip but they are looking pretty shabby now so I think I deserve a new pair.

Hope they fit!!! I am using the same rationale to justify a new pair for myself. Plus, mine just don't smell so good any more :eek:

Set2travel - I think ya'll are great on this thread! I only wish I'd found it sooner because it's been such a wonderful read and a good refresher for me so I don't get carried away myself and take too much stuff. Oh, I am so southern, LOL! I used to spend summers in Atlanta; I'd love to go back. It's been almost 30 years now.

I agree TANGERINEBUNNY...........I am going to send things to be washed instead of overpacking. I had been thinking about that for awhile. It just seems easier. On Disney's Magic they have the self serve laundry and we would wash two or three loads, mid week. Wish all the ships had that!

Have a great day everyone!!

I plan on washing some clothes too, yet somehow I know I'll still

overpack:rolleyes:. That's just me.

GlacierLady, it must be great living where there are no snakes. About two weeks ago I found a skin a snake had shed right in front of my house on the walkway up to the door. It was three feet long!! Now I have to scan

the front and backyard everytime I go outside. No my poor Yorkie has the threat of being snake bait too.:eek:

Now all I have to do is spray my hiking boots with water repellent and carry an extra pair of shoes in my backpack.

Does the water repellent really work? I bought a new pair of hiking boots over the weekend since my old hiking shoes have seen better days. My old pair were regular shoes (not high-tops) with deep grooves for traction. They were great except when I wore them hiking around Mt. Ranier the snow was deep enough to seep over the tops and wet my socks. I don't think snow will be a problem in Sept. but I wasn't sure about mud. The pair I bought are high-tops but none of the water-repellent types that I tried on fit right. I bought a comfortable pair and a can of water-repelling wax. I haven't tried this before so I am wondering if the wax really works. It says to rub on your shoes and buff in, then let dry for at least 8 hours. Apply 2 coats for new shoes.

kyriecat, mine is in a spray can that we bought when we bought my huband's new boots. I sure hope it works; yours is more apt to.

I'm hoping our hiking will be better than the last time we hiked while on vacation (in Sedona, AZ). We went for an all-day hike in Oak Creek Canyon. DH had some really cheap boots. Every time he tried to cross the stream (and the trail crossed it in several places) and he stepped on a slick rock, down he'd go. He ended up just walking through the water. That's why we replaced his boots!

@GlacierLady: Wow, 5 hours to ride for 2!!!!! I can't possibly imagine doing that. We have nice places to ride here though, so it's quite nice. (I'm from New York--about 1/2 hour north of the Manhattan)

So, what you're trying to say is that we just need comfortable shoes. How wet will my sneakers get? Do I really need a second pair to bring with me?? I can already see it: I'll probably bring 3 different pair of dress shoes (1 pair for the formal nights and 2 for the other nights), 2 pair of sneakers, & flip flops for the pool. That is 6 pair!!!!! I usually only bring 3/4--I'd be NUTS. Even if I get rid of one of the nice shoes, that's STILL too many for me. Help!

cruise more often - since you are the first sailing on the sun to Alaska this season, you are going to come home and do a quick trip report, right??? I just can't wait to hear it ALL!!!!
I will, Hopelea! If you'd like to keep in touch by e-mail, you can contact me at cruise_more_often at yahoo dot com.

@GlacierLady: Wow, 5 hours to ride for 2!!!!! I can't possibly imagine doing that. We have nice places to ride here though, so it's quite nice. (I'm from New York--about 1/2 hour north of the Manhattan)

So, what you're trying to say is that we just need comfortable shoes. How wet will my sneakers get? Do I really need a second pair to bring with me?? I can already see it: I'll probably bring 3 different pair of dress shoes (1 pair for the formal nights and 2 for the other nights), 2 pair of sneakers, & flip flops for the pool. That is 6 pair!!!!! I usually only bring 3/4--I'd be NUTS. Even if I get rid of one of the nice shoes, that's STILL too many for me. Help!

I think they're saying that some years it rains a lot and some years it doesn't. How rugged are your excursions? How important are dry feet to you?

I have enjoyed laughing along with everyone. Two quick points-Holland America cruises, at least the Westerdam, does not have self serve laundry rooms. You can send it out or do without. Check with the shore excursion operators as for outer wear. The helicopter tour supplies coats, pants boots gloves and hats. I do not need to plan outerwear for that excursion.

Have a good time everyone. We sail June 18 from Seattle.

I think they're saying that some years it rains a lot and some years it doesn't. How rugged are your excursions? How important are dry feet to you?

I'll have to check that out. If it's rain you're talking about, I'd think that even being in Denali National Park for the day would be a problem, right?

I am so glad that I am not the only one who does not know what Pile is. I vote for pictures of Alaska wear...yeah I would hate to look like a tourist...as if the camera around my neck...the map in my hand...and the two kids yanking on my shirt tail won't be a dead give away!

We are going to Alaska June 1st and I do not plan on taking shorts, except for the gym shorts for the spa on the ship, nor am I taking capris. I live in Atlanta and I usually am in a sweater if it is in the 60's. If I get there and Alaska is having a heatwave then I will resort to a well thought out plan of SHOPPING. My biggest concern is being warm. I do not tolerate the cold very well. I know Glacierlady just rolled her eyes.;)

Set2travel, i'm in ATL as well. My capris will be my shorts. If it gets up to 80, I will still be comfortable. Going two weeks after you and will be happy with anything above 50

OK, here's another question...

What do you wear when salmon fishing? Let me clarify...what do you wear to watch your friend do the fishing?

I will take pictures while wrapped up. Hoping there's an enclosed section with heat for the non-fishing folk like me :p

Sk84fungirl...I am hoping for above 50 too! I wear pants almost year round to work so even with an Alaska heatwave I would probably be very comfortable. What part of the city do you reside? We are on the Northside in Alpharetta.

It is 43 degrees here this AM. I stepped outside and thought.......this isn't too bad, I bet this is what it will feel like while we are in Alaska!! I can handle it. I know I don't need 1/2 of what I was thinking. No big coat!!! Southerners, we can handle it. :D

My DH is laughing at me becuase I have the days counted down on all of our calendars. I just ordered us each a pair of Sea-to-Shore Sport Shoes from Land's End. They look like tennis shoes but are supposed to dry fast. Since we spend a lot of time in and around the water at home, I decided we would try these.

It is 43 degrees here this AM. I stepped outside and thought.......this isn't too bad, I bet this is what it will feel like while we are in Alaska!! I can handle it. I know I don't need 1/2 of what I was thinking. No big coat!!! Southerners, we can handle it. :D

Hey Hope, didn't one of the Alaska ladies say that it's not the number on the thermometer, it's the wind and rain factor? Don't lose your edge! :)

The cool snap is nice, isnt it? Good dog walking weather.

Archived