Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

Scrumpy, I'm with you, I'd rather be in the UK then here, especially since I've never been there. I'm off from work for the week and I'm at home:( , I really could use a vacation. Haven't done any really vacation since last July, (I did go to Disney twice, but that DOES NOT count as a vacation).

I can't wait until June!!!

I think everyone should go to the UK! I love it, love it, love it! I know what you mean about vacation. I've had a 2-day trip to see my mom and a 3-day trip to see my grandparents since last June. I need to get OUTTA HERE!!!

We head for Seattle on May 26th and the cruise starts on May 27th. I can't wait. Second year in a row I get to cruise on my birthday:)

When I got mine a couple of years ago.........they are wonderful for wet, cold, snow, rain, etc. and I wear mine all the time in the winter.........I just ordered my regular size, which is a 9. I have a narrow foot, but with socks they fit just fine, and I always wear socks with them. They are fantastic for the barn, barnyard, pasture, round pen, etc. They don't have the steel toes, of course, but my horses have learned to watch where they are going and not step on me. :p ..............now I've done it!! I'll probably get stepped on! :eek:

Yeah, you jinxed yourself now :eek: Only one of ours has ever stepped on my foot more than ONCE (knock wood). Same one that kicked me in the head and knocked me out as a weanling - my mistake, tho. Second hoof-handling lesson and I should have known when to let go. Ooops! He's my husband's horse. I know DH can be passive-aggressive, but to channel his annoyance thru his horse - amazing. Just teasing. He's a good boy. Oh, and the horse is good, too. :D

Thanks for the info on the boots' fit. My concern is the width, but I think they come in a wide size. My computer shut all my (27) windows yesterday, so now I have to dig thru and find all the websites to order stuff. I have a pair that are similar, but they are just a smidge too tight and that's why I quit wearing them. They are pre-horse and would work just fine. If I could find them in the garage, I might be able to wear them, but that is too much like work, LOL!

Scrumpy - yep daffodils out in full bloom but at present being destroyed by strong winds and rain. Oxford doesn't get weather like we do up north.

My brother lives near Oxford, place called Clanfield near Brise Norton airbase. Have a feeling he worked at Kidlington once in a while.

Next time you come to UK you need to come North - very different from South!!

No retail therapy for me today, well not personally, had to take my 90yr old ex primary teacher out shopping for a jacket - what fun that was.

Am now going onto Lands End site to see what I can find, maybe they do a blue poncho - my sort of colour or better still red!!

Sorry about the daffodils!!! Yes, our weather in Oxford was very pleasant most of the time. We went to Scotland at the very end of May. Had to wear layers, coats, scarves, and gloves. I was not impressed, but I got a lot of great, moody photos with dark skies. Even York, where we stopped on the drive up, was not so cold. I might have to pass on Manchester if its icky weather.

I'm not familiar with Clanfield. Only really knew a few places that were nearby - Blenheim, Woodstock, Bicester, Abingdon, Bath, etc. I think I went to Birmingham once, LOL! I don't even know my way around this place after 5 years, so that's not surprising.

There's an airpark in Kidlington; my DH worked right next to it. Can't recall the name. I remember one time their parking lot was taken over by New Age Travellers and it caused it a big stink (literally). Ah, I miss stuff like that. It doesn't happen here.

Very nice of you taking your teacher out shopping, btw. Good for you. You sound like a real sweetheart.

Stay warm and dry,

Scrumpy (okay, now - I bet you know where I got this name, right???)

Scrumpy...It depends on what kind of dogsledding...I'm assuming a heli/glacier trip. I wear my tennis shoes. They have good traction. You'd be standing on what's called runners...a narrow strip of wood similar to skis. You also have a handlebar to hang on to. The dogs don't go real fast and all you would need to do is hang on. They have 2 sleds hooked up with a pro-handler on one. Both sleds have baskets that you can ride in, usually taking turns between standing and riding.

Thanks! Yes, it's a heli/glacier trip. I am trying to decide whether to just take a pair of fully waterproof shoes instead of 2 pairs of walking shoes. I am all about packing light and not at all worried about looking goofy. It's a permanent condition in my case, so why fight it?!?! Since I don't wear sneakers at home, I am not keen to take a pair on the cruise either. I have a brand-new pair that I'd need to break in, so that'd be one more thing to remember. Congrats on your BINGO:D

cuddle duds are really soft long johns. silk is good too. lots of places seem to have them on sale at the moment. They make good backup pj's too.

They make GREAT pj's. And, you can layer them. If you are really worried, take two sets of Cuddle Duds. They don't take up much room. They fit tight and you won't be able to tell a lot of difference if you have on two sets. Seriously... I've worn 4 pairs at once before under pants. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

:)

For all of you heading for Alaska in May, please remember to to post a trip review and pictures. Most importantly, please let us know about the weather and what you do and do not use that you pack!!

All of you up north, the temperature here in Florida only got to about 80

degrees yesterday, I think. My air conditioner has been running everyday for about two weeks though. Lord knows I hate the electric bills that are soon to come.

Scrumpy, 4 PAIRS OF LONG JOHNS!!! If I put on that much I'd really give the Michellin Man some competition. (What was the temperature like when you did that;)

For all of you heading for Alaska in May, please remember to to post a trip review and pictures. Most importantly, please let us know about the weather and what you do and do not use that you pack!!

All of you up north, the temperature here in Florida only got to about 80

degrees yesterday, I think. My air conditioner has been running everyday for about two weeks though. Lord knows I hate the electric bills that are soon to come.

Scrumpy, 4 PAIRS OF LONG JOHNS!!! If I put on that much I'd really give the Michellin Man some competition. (What was the temperature like when you did that;)

Awwwww, It wasn't so bad - they were Cuddle Duds, not real long johns. I'd have been waddling around like a kid with a load in his diapers if I was wearing the heavy stuff! :D One time in particular, it was very COLD and I was stuck outside a long time. Think the wind chill was -18 or something ridiculous. I had on lined jeans, too. It didn't matter. I froze my butt off. I've had 8 layers on top before, but when it gets to a certain temperature, I'm just GONNA be cold. I put the hand-warmers in shoes, in my pockets, etc. and try to forget about being comfortable because it's not in the cards. Luckily, it only happens a couple of times a year.

It must have been close to 80 here yesterday. Sun was beating down. So HOT! But...it's a dry heat :rolleyes: Lucky you, having A/C. We bought a house without it (which I swore I'd never do). And, with old rickety heat. Had $500 electric bills this winter. Kinda makes me miss the south...

May 27 can't get here fast enough for me!!!! Our weather has definately turned to summer, high of 86 today, so I can start packing all my fall/winter clothing to see how I can downsize!!!:p

Me either! Same sail date. And, my birthday :)

You can keep the hot weather, though. Way too much like the Caribbean, LOL!

Sk84fungirl...I am hoping for above 50 too! I wear pants almost year round to work so even with an Alaska heatwave I would probably be very comfortable. What part of the city do you reside? We are on the Northside in Alpharetta.

I'm a Tuckerpeach :D

Set2Travel-we are going on the Alaskan cruise June 17th. We are also from Atlanta. What part are you from. We live around the Stone Mountain area. Please let me know how the cruise was and of course how the weather was. Maybe I could unload some long johns and shoes if I hear from you before we leave. Cant wait for it to get here.

Lynn

Campngrl, I'm cruisn on the 17th out of Seattle. I'll make sure to wave while I'm layered in all of my clothing...:p

86 sunny degrees today! It is beautiful and supposed to be that way all weekend. Hopelea I packed away all of my winter stuff last night (with the exception of the Alaska Winter) Guest room looks like a Bomb went off on the bed. I don't care I can close that door. I honestly am a neat freak but you would never know by the looks of that room.

Glacierlady did you get more Snow?

Hello cruisers! I'm another southerner (from Florida) going to Alaska on the Sun May 13th. (I'm on Cruise More Often's cruise) I've been on several warm weather cruises and let me tell y'all this has been the most difficult cruise to pack for ! I have all this STUFF and trying to figure out how I'm going to pack all of it! Received my 3 in 1 jacket yesterday. Nice jacket though I'll probably never wear it again! LOL

Someone posted from Florida a few pages back on whether they should put up their hurricane shutters before they leave on their cruise in June, I say YES! I've actually done this, put them up when I went on vacation, because you just never know with the whaky hurricane seasons we've had the last several years.

How are you?! Glad to see that you're coming up! Are you going to be in Fairbanks? If so, Kevin and I would love to see you!

As an Alaskan, just do what I do... Layer clothing and wear some leather shoes like hikers or tennies. That works for me and I'm here year 'round.

Taters

I went through my closets today with list in hand and have my clothes for Alaska! Now I guess that I need to put them all on at once [the suggested layered look] and get weighted and see how much they weight? :confused:

Honestly, ya'll have been a great help. I decided to go with one really warm outfit, one medium, and one light weight. With appropriate T's and if need be long johns, this will have to do. Add to that one rainproof hooded coat, hat, gloves, good socks, etc. I'll be wearing the same formal dress both nights, and switching silk blouses over a sleeveless black sheath the other nights. Not chic, but doable. But there's no taking less than four pairs of shoes. Darn. I can do Paris with two!

Does anyone know if the robe that Celebrity provides would work over a bathing suit? I hate to bring a cover up but believe me, no one wants to see my thighs in a short robe.:(

[quote name='Taters']How are you?! Glad to see that you're coming up! Are you going to be in Fairbanks? If so, Kevin and I would love to see you!

As an Alaskan, just do what I do... Layer clothing and wear some leather shoes like hikers or tennies. That works for me and I'm here year 'round.

Taters[/quote]

Taters!!! I've been looking for your email address and couldn't find it!! Mine is below in my signature and yours isn't in your profile so send me a shout. We're not stopping in Fairbanks :( We're cruising to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rubert. Are you close to any of those ports?

[quote name='Brneyznfl']Taters!!! I've been looking for your email address and couldn't find it!! Mine is below in my signature and yours isn't in your profile so send me a shout. We're not stopping in Fairbanks :( We're cruising to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rubert. Are you close to any of those ports?[/QUOTE]

Hi Janice!

No, Fairbanks is nowhere near the ports you mentioned. We live in Alaska's Interior, towards the middle of the state.... In fact, Ketchikan is nearly 1,000 miles southeast of us. Alaska is a huge place!

Our next cruise is in September and we're actually doing a northbound Alaskan itinerary. Coral Princess from Vancouver to Whittier stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and visiting Galcier Bay. WooHoo! Can't wait!

Happy trails!

Annie

[quote name='sjcivilady'][FONT=Arial]To those who have ordered the "3 in 1" jacket - how does it run, size wise? Should I order 1 size larger than I usually wear? thanks, Joan[/FONT][/QUOTE]sjcivilady, I wear a size 10, so I ordered a M 3-in-1 from LL Bean. The Polartec jacket part is a wee tight, but I think that's how it's supposed to fit. I plan to wear a turtleneck under it, but nothing else (okay, I will wear pants, too). That will keep me quite warm and comfortable.

Hi, Jan!

I got a pair of Land's End lightweight, quick-drying tennis shoes tonight at Sears. I think they called them "active wear", but they are so thin you can see your socks through them. I had been on the verge of ordering what were basically swim socks, so I'm glad I found these. They are as thin as I'd want to go. DH got a slightly heavier pair, but still nice and his were only $14.99. Just in case anyone is shoe shopping... And, if you are still clothes shopping, you might try Chico's. We went this afternoon and got a bunch of stuff for in the evening. What I noticed was that the Traveller's pants seem warm. You probably wouldn't wear them on an excursion, but I think they are going to be plenty comfortable onboard in the dining room and possibly outdoors on deck since it gets dark so much later. They aren't cheap, but I think they'll be versatile - and, for something that won't wrinkle, they're worth it.

[quote name='tangerinebunny']
Does anyone know if the robe that Celebrity provides would work over a bathing suit? I hate to bring a cover up but believe me, no one wants to see my thighs in a short robe.:([/quote]

I don't know about Celebrity's robes, but I got a lace cover-up last year at Burlington that was inexpensive and takes up almost NO room in a suitcase. If no one can advise you about the robes, you might try a Burlington and see if they have any. I really liked mine. Good luck!

][FONT=Comic Sans MS]AND IF YOU DON'T PACK THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF CLOTHES..............[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]THERE IS ALWAYS [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]WAL-MART!!!!! Pack light and purchase!!! :)[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Archived