Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

Sorry Scrumpy don't know what happened to my reply off in cyberspace probably.

Two coincidences - First of all I went to Kardamena in 1984/5 when it was just a little fishing village with only a couple of restaurants near the beach. Then last year we went back, what a change, didn't recognise the place. What hotel did you stay in? Reason I ask is I've always kept in touch (Christmas cards) with the lady who was our maid there. When we went back last year ,she met us as we stepped off the plane and then spent several days showing us all the non touristy places on the island. Anyway, her husband is the executive chef at the Norinda Hotel and it's sister hotels whose name escapes me.

Now fancy you being chatted up by Giggsy, Mike was going to speak to him about that today when he went into work!!!

Know him quite well, but know his mum even better, we met up on a European trip back in 1999and have spent many a racous evening together since!! Giggsy is a lovely lad, a fantastic dancer and does a mean Elvis impersonation. Eldest daughter was quite smitten for a time.

Arsenal? who are they? are they the 'English' team with a French manager and no English players?

Things hectic here just now, one of England's great young players has just broken his foot, he just happens to play for Man Utd so DH is under mega pressure to get him fit for World Cup. It's been headline news for the last 5days, the world and his wife has suddenly become an expert on broken metatarsels. You would not believe the amount of rubbish he gets sent to try, when this happened to David Beckham we got sent dried cow pats from Africa, chicken bones to stew from China etc etc. One day DH

will write a book on his experiences and we'll be rich!!

When are you off on your trip? Loved the colour of your jacket maybe I could borrow it?

Oh well must go and plan science lesson for tomorrow.

Bye

I don't know if I have EVER talked to anyone else who has been to Kardamena!!! How cool is that? We didn't really stay in a hotel. It was down close to the end of the "beach" (rocky shoreline) and was more like small flats. They were cleaned daily, but that was it. I have no idea what it was called, but we enjoyed it. There was a little food place next door and the guy who ran it had lived in NY for a while, so he spoke good English. It came in handy because I fell into a bed of sea anemones and he was able to reassure me and give me a home remedy to put on it as the clinic was closed in the afternoon. (He had to look at it before "diagnosing" and only then could convince me that I hadn't been stung by jelly fish. I was in so much pain that I didn't mind pulling my suit over. One cheek looked like a relief map from the swelling. Oh, did it hurt!) I cannot imagine what it is like now. It sounds like it has changed a lot! It had become a bit touristy, but was still very quiet except for a small strip with bars and restaurants. Couldn't have been more than a dozen of them when we were there. The nicer hotels were on the opposite end from where we stayed. It is wonderful you could keep in touch with the woman. I would love to go back there. We had such a great time! Is Mammi's bar still there? ("Oldest bar in Kardamena") We went there every single day. I had something creamy and DH had something fruity - or was it vice versa?!?! You can probably tell how excited I am about this, can't you?:o Anyway, that is awesome! :D We were there when South Africa won the Rugby World Cup. The place was crawling with South Africans. The final was the night after my anemone adventure and I had way too much ouzo to fight the pain, then was knocking down the beer (which I normally NEVER drink) and loudly cheering on New Zealand at a bar that showed the match. I think DH was the lone Kiwi and I guess it's a good thing SA won or we could've been in trouble - haha! It's one of the few places we've been where people were overtly happy to see an American. I guess not many go there. Normally, a fuss is made over DH, but the people there went out of their way to be nice to me and ask me questions. We have got to go back.

It was a thrill to be chatted up by anyone, honestly! A complete shock. I didn't think of myself as at all attractive to anyone other than my husband, so a strange man going out of his way to talk to me was the last thing I'd expect. I only wish I'd known who it was and could have talked to him more. It's amazing that you know him and his family! You must convince them to go on a "reunion" cruise so we can meet again, ha ha ha! DH doesn't dance and I would love to see that Elvis impersonation! Just give us a date and ship and I'll take out a second mortgage to be there :)

Oh, your poor husband! Aren't non-medical folks a pain sometimes? I imagine they do drive you crazy trying to help. He should write a book one day. There's a lot of pressure to get players fit - and sometimes for them to play when they are nowhere near 100%. I'll have to try to figure out which player it is; we can't seem to get football over here very often, so DH follows it a bit online. Does Mike have to take care of all the players or is there a large staff? Over here, there are loads of doctors, trainers, assistants, therapists, etc. for some of the sports teams. It's really impressive. I have a cousin who works for an NFL team and he took the guys on a tour of their facility as part of his pre-wedding activities. I would have loved to go, but they left the ladies behind, so I suffered through a massage instead ;) Anyway, this is all fascinating to me and makes me miss England very much - more than usual. It's like when I get an email from our friends there; I want to immediately get on a plane. My biggest memory of football in England is when we went in Oxford. The crowd was chanting, "Four legs; your wife has got four legs..." They were playing Wales; DH's father was Welsh... It was hilarious and so much fun. That was Oxford's last year. I don't know what happened after that or recall the name of the team, unfortunately. I have a horrible memory problem. But, I knew I would get you with the Arsenal reference; I am not totally out of the loop!

I would love to loan it to you, but do you mean the fuschia or the chartreuse? The chartreuse is only a vest. We sail 5/27, but go to Seattle on 5/26. Come back home on 6/5. Are you anywhere near Seattle then? Envious of your time in Banff, btw. That is your trip I'm thinking of, right? Seen beautiful photos of the place, but never been...

Sorry to chat so much; one more quickie and I'm done. This is only marginally related to the other topics, but close enough. We were flying to NZ once (or coming back) and I saw Jonah Lomu strolling through the plane. Must have been stretching his (gorgeous) legs. By the time I got to DH to alert him, Lomu was gone. The poor guy misses all the excitement. Do you remember Lomu from rugby? DH says he's read he's making a bit of a comeback after the health issues.

Have a great day! You've certainly made my night!!! Sitting here with a big grin on my face re-living old times. Thanks so much!

I live in Orlando now and have lived in Fairbanks and Idaho. . . I will be gone for 23 days--Fairbanks, Cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver, Bellingham, WA, Seattle, Portland and cross-state to Coeur d'Alene Idaho.

Along with underwear, silk t-shirts, socks, toiletries, etc, plastic bags, OFF and SHOUT and sunscreen, plastic bags, etc. my ONE suitcase on wheels will have--

2 pairs of jeans--one black and one blue

4 pairs of shoes--black heels, black walking shoes, tennis shoes, flip-flops

2 sweatshirts (1 hooded, 1 regular)

1 RiverRun fleece jacket

1 long black velvet skirt with black velvet tunic for dressy evenings

1 rain poncho

1 black linen sundress

1 sweater set

1 pair of black walking shorts

2 long-sleeved shirts--blue work shirt and white cotten

2 t-shirts--white one and black one

1 pair of nice sweatpants with matching long-sleeved t-shirt

1 caftan

1 pair of LLBean shearling slippers with rubber souls

2 bathing suits with one cover-up

earmuffs and black, leather, fur-lined gloves

23 days? Piece of cake--At least I don't have to bring any work clothes!

Along with underwear, silk t-shirts, socks, toiletries, etc, plastic bags, OFF and SHOUT and sunscreen, plastic bags, etc. my ONE suitcase on wheels will have--

2 pairs of jeans--one black and one blue

4 pairs of shoes--black heels, black walking shoes, tennis shoes, flip-flops

2 sweatshirts (1 hooded, 1 regular)

1 RiverRun fleece jacket

1 long black velvet skirt with black velvet tunic for dressy evenings

1 rain poncho

1 black linen sundress

1 sweater set

1 pair of black walking shorts

2 long-sleeved shirts--blue work shirt and white cotten

2 t-shirts--white one and black one

1 pair of nice sweatpants with matching long-sleeved t-shirt

1 caftan

1 pair of LLBean shearling slippers with rubber souls

2 bathing suits with one cover-up

earmuffs and black, leather, fur-lined gloves

OK, I'll ask the obvious question - how did you get all that into one suitcase?

This is all too much fun reading! Thanks...needed the laugh.

Packing this weekend for an Alaska cruise we're headed for on 5/22. We work full time and hubby wants to go camping the weekend before the weekend we leave (having head examined for saying OK). We're doing a 7 day cruise & a 6 day land excursion...this will be fun. It's our 25th wedding anniversary.

Add to this, I had a complete rupture of a rotator cuff a few weeks back and have since had surgery so...gee, what formal goes with a blue & white arm sling? At least I get out of physical torture, I mean therapy, for a few weeks. The woman heard screaming behind the cabin door is not excited, she is doing her stretching exercises!

Will look into that LE 3-in-1, was going shopping for something Gor-Tex as I hear that's a good fabric for this trip. I can guarantee you I will have one suitcase and hubby will have two, three, four...

Are you going on the Island Princess on 5/22? We are and also celebrating 25 yrs of marriage. There are 14 of us on the roll call. Join us if that is your ship!

Thanks to all for the suggestions in this thread. After reading the first 4 pages I decided that I really should get a 3-in-1 jacket for my cruise which leaves THIS SATURDAY. Thank goodness LLBEAN has expedited shipping!

I love my 3 in 1 jacket. I took out the inner jacket and am taking it on the plane with me and I packed the outer jacket which was very easy to fold up and fit into the suitcase without taking up much room. I love this thread, great ideas here! Thanks!

Is the 3 in 1 jacket true to size, smaller or larger than size? I'm nervous about ordering online because if it doesn't fit - you have the expense and hassle of having to send it back.

Oh and on the above packing list - are you only going to formal night? What about dinner clothes since "no jeans" are allowed for dinner?

My excel spreadsheet has about 70 lines of items I need to pack, and the clothes are not itemized. I just say skirts - pants :eek: Ok deep breath - it will all come together, everything WILL fit in the suitcase and carry-on, and I will have an absolutely GREAT time in Alaska. I'm sure the minute I get on the ship I'll forget about what I did or did not remember to pack.

Deedee

I must tell you all, I'm feeling much less stressed about packing just knowing there are so many others in the same situation! The more I read, the more I realize just how unpredictible Alaska's weather is. I was hoping to get all my clothes packed in my rolling suitcase and carrying it on the plane, rather than checking it in. I now realize that is not going to work. I'll need my larger suitcase and a garment bag to carry everything I might need. So much for not checking my luggage.:(

At least I've decided not to buy anything new for the cruise. I've been very tempted to get a 3 in 1 jacket. They do sound perfect. Alas, I'll just have hoodies, turtlenecks, and my gortex ski jacket that is not lined. I have decided to throw in my gortex pants as well. Reading about wet jeans made me decide gortex is the way to go.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Please keep them coming. I leave in 4 weeks and need all the help I can get.:D

Are you going on the Island Princess on 5/22? We are and also celebrating 25 yrs of marriage. There are 14 of us on the roll call. Join us if that is your ship!

No, we're on the Coral Princess sailing from Vancouver. Happy Anniversary to you!

Hey Mugg...Great packing list.

I just got home from work and I am going to see what all I can pack in my new suitcase...I will post my list this evening.

JBmanuel...It cracks me up that they run a bus to Wal-Mart it reminds me of our Hawaii trip...they have buses at the peir to take you to Hilo Hatties.

We are 27 days from departure! Yippie:)

Boulder- When do you leave for your Canadian Rocky Trip and which Ship will you be on. We're going with friends to the Rockies on July 1st and will be on the Dawn Princess on the 8th. We haven't been able to find anyone who is also doing the Rocky land tour and taking the train. Are you on the Mountaineer or Golden Mountaineer. I hope you'll share your experiences with us. I keep up with this thread and we're also on the Roll Call for the Dawn Princess July 8th. Are you on any thread for your cruise? I'd love to hear from you.

Ok...it took me half the weekend but here are the contents for my new suitcase:

3-Jeans (2 blue, 1 black)

4-sweaters

4-shirts to layer under sweaters

1-fleece Jacket

1-rain jacket and pants

1-Formal Skirt w/2 beaded tops

2-Dress pants

2-Dressy tops

1-exercise shorts and t-shirt

1-golf skort with collared shirt

1-pair thermals will use as PJ's

Hat, gloves and Ear Pops

4-pair of shoes (1 Dress, 2 walking. 1 pair of favorite clogs)

socks and underwear.

I will also have what I wear on the plane. I will probably throw a spare outfit in my carry on bag.

Tell me what I am missing...Please.:D

Hi Scrumpy,

Brill email thanks. Yesterday Mike told Ryan of our link infront of some teammates - boy did he come in for some teasing poor lad!! I also spoke to Lynne his mum, she like me couldn't believe the coincidence of us striking up a conversation with Ryan being the common link. She also told me he's going to be a dad for the second time, they already have a little girl Libby.

Football season almost over, testamonial match tomorrow night for an ex player and that's it till July 1st. Our football teams have nowhere near as many medical staff as NFL. At Utd there is only 1 doctor, 5 physios, and a couple of masseurs, I think most major teams have that sort of level, in fact some don't even have a full time doctor. This season Mike has actually had a deputy doctor but he is a full time GP too (mine!!)

Told you the remedies would start arriving - today was the gunja ganga juice, Mike's PA is going to mix it with her G and T to see the effect.

Was only kidding about borrowing the clothes!! We pick up the cruise from Vancouver on 7th June, fly back to Vancouver on 15th, then get the train to Seattle on 18th for three nights. Our friends from SF are meeting us in Seattle then we're off to SF to stay with them for a week before returning home.

That's it for now must do a quick reply to the others.

Take care.

Set2travel - have pretty much the same as you, think we should be fine.

Katpaul - by 1st July our trip will be over and I'll be back at school!! In fact on July 3rd I'm doing the 'Walk for Life' in aid or cancer research.

We leave for Banff 28th May, pick up Rocky Moutaineer on 4th June, couple of days in Vancouver then board RSSC Mariner on June 7th. For rest of trip see above reply to Scrumpy.

Can't find any roll call for our ship and have only come across one other couple admitting to going on it - find that a bit worrying. Will try to let you know how we got on when we get back - depending on the jetlag!!

Bed calls - teaching tomorrow. Will try to keep in touch via this thread.

Boulder- Thanks for replying to me. We also have not had much luck in finding other passengers on our ship. They all must still be in hibernation. I'll be looking forward to hearing all about your trip, both land and sea and particularly the train.

Happy 25th anniversary to jiggerb and momeason!!! That's quite an accomplishment. Hope ya'll enjoy your cruises:)

Set2travel: that's quite a list. I think it sounds great. Are you taking any of the little extras like Downy Wrinkle-Release or duct tape, etc? I am thinking I'll end up with 3 pairs of evening shoes. Oh well. DH always says he doesn't mind because shoes don't take up much room...:D

Boulder - Great to hear from you again. Too funny about the teasing!!! Good one! I'd liked to have been a fly on the wall for that exchange. Poor guy. Then again, a bit of ribbing doesn't hurt much, does it? It's wonderful he has a new baby on the way. I didn't realize he already had a little girl. I bet she is precious! Guess those wild bachelor days are behind him.

DH read me an article about an oxygen treatment or something for your injured young man; he knew immediately who you meant. (Do men absorb sport info and news through osmosis? He came over here and knew more about American sports that I'd watched for a decade than I did in a matter of weeks!) Anyway, I hope things are going well and that he is healing. Does the oxygen help or does anyone know for sure? Or, is that some wild rumor that has no basis in truth? What on earth is gunja ganga juice? Is that a fruit of some kind? I never heard of it.

I bet you were ready to see Mike have some time off. It's really a contrast in medical staff between sports here and over there. I'm sure you look forward to time off together with great anticipation. My husband wants to go to St. Lucia in Feb (?) for the cricket World Cup. Since it is only slightly more exciting for me than watching paint dry, I am going only because I love him and we don't get much time together. He hasn't made reservations yet, but I have been gently reminding him (read: nagging him) that he should really get after it because it's less than a year away and I wouldn't be surprised to hear there aren't any rooms left... I was only half-serious about the fleece. I have gotten very attached to it in a short time. It'd have been fun to meet face-to-face if the timing had worked out right. You are the only person who recognized "Scrumpy" and combined with the other unlikely coincidences, it'd have been nice to have one more coincidence that would probably result in a congenial conversation. Alas, I guess it's not meant to be!

I wanted to say that certain lines/ships have more active roll calls than others. I'm not sure why, but a lot of the ones for Holland America are not very active either. It's the exception rather than the rule; we had one last year with over a dozen posters and over 700 posts, but the one I'm on this year has been very quiet. I think we know of four couples altogether so far. Since RSSC is buried in "other", it's probably doubly hard to get a thread going... Ugh, off to bed. I am on the internet too much and not in the bed enough! Take care :)

Hiya,

Are you on countdown yet? We had a message from RSSC today to say that the American partners can't issue our tickets as they hadn't got my DOB or place of birth, getting a bit worried about lack of documents especially as we leave the UK 10days before the cruise!

DH says there no concrete evidence to prove one way or another whether the hyperbaric oxygen chamber works but had to be seen doing everything he could to help the bone heal. There's a lot of pressure on our Wayne, he's a fantasic footballer at only 20years of age, the country's hopes rest on his 'feet'.

Have you been to St Lucia before? DH and I went to Antigua for our honeymoon, what a fabulous island, we had the most fantastic time. We try to do long haul trips every other year, I have to remove him from the country for the whole month otherwise he'd be in work!! Next year it'll be Europe again, we have a timeshare in Portugal which we love, we just chill out completely.

Think there have been too many coincidences for us not to keep in touch, maybe one day we'll be in the same place at the same time - what do you think?

Bye for now icon7.gif

Hi! Yes, I am very much on countdown. The housesitter came this afternoon to be shown around. It is all starting to seem very real and very NEAR!!! :D

That is strange and kind of disturbing about your tickets. When can you expect to get your documents? I am sure they have many cruisers who aren't American, so I'd expect them to have procedures. I hope you get your documents soon and can relax.

I cannot think of the hyperbaric treatment without thinking of Michael Jackson and the rumor that he slept in an oxygen tent. Funny how the mind works! I hope the treatment is helpful, even if it is more psychological than anything else. As he's still such a young man, perhaps he will heal quickly anyway. DH is following his progress and I hope we'll hear good news. There is such a limited amount of help anyone can give him at this point; nature will only go as fast as she goes. I'm sure the pressure is immense on your family and on Wayne. (You ALL need a holiday)!

No, we've never been to St. Lucia. Is it hot? I haven't done any research on it yet, but I expect it will be pretty and tropical. I hope that we make arrangements soon. I don't want DH disappointed and I like to see new places. Since you had a great time there, I expect we will, too. I know what you mean about work; it's hard for me to get DH to take time off. But, he does throw himself into holidays. Has a very good time and really relaxes. I've never been to Portugal. We haven't been back to the UK in several years now. We keep thinking we'll go, then it doesn't work out. We were meant to go to a wedding in Ireland this summer. We never got the info and, in the meantime, apparently the mother of the bride and my mother have stopped speaking. It was starting to look awkward, so we made other plans. We should really go to NZ next year, but maybe we can get over to the UK the year after. I've also been looking at transatlantic cruises and that is a possibility.

Yes, please, let's keep in touch. :) I really have never talked to anyone else with the Kardamena connection, much less Giggs! We have a thread at floataway lounge where you might also post if you're inclined. It's called Outfit Check part deux, I think. There are some nice, friendly people on it. Alternately, we could try email. I don't know how to post a little Click Here, so let me know if you'd like me to type out my email address.

Oh, I forgot to ask: how did you come to pick "Boulder" as a username? Is there a story behind it?

Take care,

Susan

Hi Scrumpy,

Everytime I time your name it makes me smile - it's the cider experience - a bad one from uni days. I studied Geography and every year we went on a field trip, the first one was to Devon hence the cider experience, turns out one glass and I'm anybody's!!! HAve never touched the stuff since then.

Patient seems to be on the mend if you believe the papers. He's not in the oxygen tank anymore as he said it make him feel sick - more like he finds it hard to sit still for 11/2hrs at a time.

Some documents arrived today but they were for the Amtrac journey from Vancouver to Seattle, we've also had something about the cruise but from our travel agent not the actual documents, I'm sure everything will be fine - fingers crossed.

We went to Antigua at the end of May and it was glorious , hot and sunny just as I like it. I think we had one heavy rain shower but that was all. I'm sure I've read somewhere that St Lucia is wetter than Antigua but not sure what time of year that is. We met a couple in Antigua who were also on honeymoon, they had spent their first week in St Lucia and loved it. We had a coincidence with them too, it turns out they were married on the same day as us, at roughly the same time, in fact as I was being driven to church I drove past their church as their guests were going in. They now live about 5 miles away from us. Small world isn't it?

I really wanted to be called Pebble but someone else beat me to it, does that help you any in guessing why I chose Boulder?

Is their a way of swopping email addresses without the world and his wife catching onto them? Really would like to keep in touch one way or another.

How did you meet DH, you being American and he a Kiwi? Never been to that part of the world, have quite a few relatives in Australia, maybe one day we'll get there.

How many days left now before you go? Had a practise run with the suitcase yet?

I'm only teaching one day a week for next two weeks but have loads to do. We've just had some work done in the house and it looks like there's been fallout from a bomb, so major cleaning to be done. Also need to get in the garden and plant out summer bedding plants.

Take care.

Pam icon7.gif

Hi there,

I saw you'd checked in at the other thread. Great! I will probably be back over there later. Thought I'd answer you here immediately since the cider reference made me smile. It was at Univ that I discovered cider and love it to this day. We cannot get Scrumpy over here. The best I can get is Dry Blackthorn. We also have Strongbow and Woodpecker (in descending order of preference) - and some American ones that I rarely lower myself to drink; they seem like cheap knock-offs, ;) but the Canadian ones are nice. I remember having a bit too much Diamond White at Hippodrome, then not remembering much else of the night.:eek: I did somehow make it to meet my future husband the next morning at Victoria for a trip to Wales, so I know my classmates got me safely to bed where I awakened fully dressed and partially upright. (I vaguely remember something about a cab). So, yes, cider is powerful stuff and not to be underestimated. It would have disastrous to have stood up Andrew; might have changed the entire course of our lives. :o

I'm glad the patient is doing well! I hope he comes right before the matches start. I have no idea when exactly that is, but it only a few weeks away now, right? (I bet you simply cannot wait to escape all this pressure and attention). Poor guy, it would seem to go against the grain for an athlete to be still that long anyway. Don't some of them have about a 5 minute threshold before they lose patience? (or maybe it only seems that way)

I'm glad that your documents and information are trickling in. I think with the proper, official confirmations in hand, you will feel better. I hope they arrive soon.

You must have a knack for "small world" moments! It's extraordinary about your friends down the road. I hope that we get to St. Lucia. It sounds like you had a lovely time and I hope the weather will be warm in February. The matches are being played all over the islands, so I think we are going during the round robin (?) part and simply hoping to get to see whichever team it is he wants to - NZ, but probably also England. I haven't looked into this at all and am completely ignorant of the process. I was relieved to find they were one-day tests because I had been confused about how long he thought we could stay away. You'll probably find that amusing. I really had no clue because he normally follows the longer ones.

No, I'm sorry but I don't get the Pebble reference, or at least it isn't ringing a bell at the moment. The only Pebble I can think of is Pebbles from the Flintstones cartoon. Gosh, is this something really obvious? LOL! I will check with Andy and see if it's a UK reference that I've missed! Isn't there also a singer by that name? (It will drive me crazy if I don't know soon).

DH and I met when he was having his BOE, living and working in Oxford. I'd closed the pub with other Univ students (was on a summer course) and we were celebrating the birthday of one of the assistants (can't remember what they're called) who was a regular student. As usual, I was in the loo at the pub, so got left behind, and they got to the club before me. Andy and I were in the queue together; he was also meeting friends inside. It was 1994, there was a wicked heat wave, and we were discussing the weather. Once inside, went our separate ways, then met again a while later at the bar. Neither of us ever saw our friends again. Shouted over the music until the club closed, walked back to Univ still chatting away, and had our first date a few days later. We went to Wales the next weekend, then Ireland after my courses ended. He visited me here, then I got a work permit and lived there with him for 6 months and we got married during that time. It all came together nicely and totally unexpectedly. Okay and now I'm slipping this in on the sly; my addy is (without spaces) susan loves dogs at yahoo dot com. Now, do you think anyone will notice? My main concern was automatic harvesting, so I think this is safe enough. If you write, then I'll have yours and it won't be posted publicly. (Now watch; you'll never visit this thread again and I'll get bizarre mail from strangers). Anyway, we've been married almost 11 years and he's wonderful. He's arranged personalized license plates that say "Scrumpy"; I inadvertently spoiled that surprise by opening the mail last week. He is very thoughtful and sweet.

On the Outfit thread, I've posted the link to our home page. Please go there and click on the link to Australia for a surprise. Make sure the sound is turned on at your computer.:D I highly recommend visiting NZ. Amazing, beautiful country. I hope we will be living there in the next decade.

No practice packing yet, but getting close. DH will pack next weekend. We are doing laundry and cleaning this weekend. I have a list, which I'll probably lose. He will make a list during the week and follow it scrupulously. We have been doing the do-not-forget lists and things-to-buy lists. It seems very near now! Let's see - 12 days until we get to Seattle. 13 days until we board the ship. I believe that must put you at about 24 days or thereabouts until you leave Britain - or do I have your dates wrong?

Sorry about the mess in the house, but hope the work was successful. Have fun getting ready and I hope you're enjoying your gardening. :)

Take care,

Susan

OK, I'll ask the obvious question - how did you get all that into one suitcase?

I've essentially taken this same combo--with a few obvious substitutions-- on 3 week trips to France and 3 week trips to Aruba and Bonaire. It fits in my roll-on believe it or not. And as for dinners--the black jeans are not really jeans but Gap stretch pants which are easily dressed up for dinner with the sweater set. I have taken 3 weeks vacations for 15 years now so I've got the packing list DOWN. . . My goal is to wear everything I pack (except the rain poncho, with any luck) and pack everything I'm going to need to wear.

Finally found an advantage to being a middle-aged female. Since no one notices me anyway, I can wear the same things over and over. :)

I'm thinking one outfit for each weather extreme, lots of deoderant, and no spills!

I should take your advice since i'm in my middle years too!!! But somehow......I'll overpack like always!!!

Swan

Carnival Spirit 7/5/06

Oh, I don't even bother trying to go to bed at a decent hour. I tell myself I'm just going to read "a few more threads"...three hours later, I am wondering if I will have to deal with x, y, or z - or if I should re-think bringing this, that or the other. :rolleyes:

The color is okay :-)

I was just going to "skim" the boards .... Instead I am becoming obsessed....and Holy Toledo...I still don't know what to pack, whether I chose the right excursions, and still six more weeks to fret over it.....Naw....I can't fret over the Great Alaskan Adventure.....:p

They make GREAT pj's. And, you can layer them. If you are really worried, take two sets of Cuddle Duds. They don't take up much room. They fit tight and you won't be able to tell a lot of difference if you have on two sets. Seriously... I've worn 4 pairs at once before under pants. Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

:)[/quote]

Where might one get Cuddle duds ???:confused:

Swan

You can get Cuddle Duds almost everywhere--lot of department stores... Do a search for them and you should be able to find them.

I think they are 40% off on Amazon too!

We have less then 2 weeks before our cruise.. less then one week before we get to Anc. we have been checking the weather forecast for Alaska.. which seem to be a tad nicer then where we are now.. 60s and low in the 40s.. that does not consitute anything more then a light windbreaker for me, lower night time temps a sweater would be fine.. now, we will bring rain gear as well to toss on over a wind breaker or a sweater just in case.

But, if my folks were going, they would be frozen at mid 60s and ultra chilled at the mid 40s.

Archived