Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

[quote name='tangerinebunny']Patches - And the guys says, 'he answers the phone but he doesn't actually talk.' lol They're three of a kind if you ask me. Did you see how empty their frig was except for beer? lol

I will do a clothes report on May 28. But we know that I'm going to say - layers, layers, layers!

Today I check on my husband's clothes. He insists on bringing some. And I send my new black 'scrunchy' travel suit back to Orvis and wait for a fast return on a smaller size. I used their size chart! But it could have been the other way around, and then I'd really be complaining about needing a larger size. lol

btw, my feet are 'triangles' too. That's a great description, and here I thought they were just weird.[/quote]

Isn't that hilarious? I can just picture one of our horses in a car... I shudder at the image. "Slow down", "Speed up", "Why are you going that way; that's the long way", "Do you know where you're going"? LOL!!! I wonder how long Patches stays put in that bed, too.

Yeah, husbands...like they need clothes anyway. I mean, they don't get on the airplane naked. Isn't that good enough? :D

Uh oh - now I have to go see what an Orvis scrunchy travel suit looks like. Congrats on needing a smaller size. That's always nice! Our little trip to Chico's did me in; I shouldn't buy anything else... I'm going to turn into a travel NERD:o (I actually considered one of those Magellan (?) vests. I need professional help...

Yes, we could use our feet for a geometry lesson, couldn't we;) Shoot, wish I'd thought of that when I was in school. I bet I could have memorized some stuff if I'd only written on my foot!

I have to ask - what does "tangerinebunny" mean?

[quote name='Scrumpy']Isn't that hilarious? I can just picture one of our horses in a car... I shudder at the image. "Slow down", "Speed up", "Why are you going that way; that's the long way", "Do you know where you're going"? LOL!!! I wonder how long Patches stays put in that bed, too.

Yeah, husbands...like they need clothes anyway. I mean, they don't get on the airplane naked. Isn't that good enough? :D

Uh oh - now I have to go see what an Orvis scrunchy travel suit looks like. Congrats on needing a smaller size. That's always nice! Our little trip to Chico's did me in; I shouldn't buy anything else... I'm going to turn into a travel NERD:o (I actually considered one of those Magellan (?) vests. I need professional help...

Yes, we could use our feet for a geometry lesson, couldn't we;) Shoot, wish I'd thought of that when I was in school. I bet I could have memorized some stuff if I'd only written on my foot!

I have to ask - what does "tangerinebunny" mean?[/quote]

The idea of a Scrumpy in a scrunchy suit does sound intriguing. It's just a soft scrunched up fabric that's supposed to travel well. lightweight pants and a jacket.

'tangerinebunny' has no significance whatsoever. Like the real me! lol;)

I found these today - from May 2004. Look at all the short sleeves!

[URL="http://community.webshots.com/user/rlreklaw"]http://community.webshots.com/user/rlreklaw[/URL]

and here's one with people in jeans, sweatshirts, and windbreakers. lol

[url]http://www4.localaccess.com/dmills21/mercury_alaska_cruise_2003.htm[/url]

I'm not even going to say the L word.

[quote name='tangerinebunny']I found these today - from May 2004. Look at all the short sleeves!

[URL="http://community.webshots.com/user/rlreklaw"]http://community.webshots.com/user/rlreklaw[/URL][/quote]

Unbelievable!

[COLOR=blue]I've been reading this thread for hours and have been totally entertained, as well as getting a lot of good ideas. We cruise in August on Celebrity's Summit southbound after a 4-day land tour starting in Fairbanks. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here and envy all of you who are cruising sooner. This if our third cruise and the first with a balcony. We never stayed in our rooms much before going on warmer cruises, but I'm looking forward to sitting with my first cup of coffee watching the Alaskan scenery go by.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Who else would obsess over packing but us gals? I don't remember seeing any guys on this thread!!! DH and I always overpack (he's worse than I am!) and I'm trying desperately as I plan in my head for this one, not to do that. I am glad I hung onto an old wind suit from Atlanta days (Alpharetta). Planning on a couple pairs of jeans, a few casual pants, t-shirts, hoodie, lightweight jacket, black Travellers with several different silky type tops for dinner and one dress. I picked up one cotton/spandex warm up type suit off of a sale rack to wear on the plane for comfort (Fairbanks is a long way from Sarasota, FL) with my tennis shoes (spraying with waterproofing before we go) - they'll keep my feet warm on the plane and I won't have the bulk in my suitcase. I also like to wear tennis shoes on the plane because when we have layovers, I walk the concourses rather than sit so much. That way I get a little exercise while traveling (getting ready for all those good meals onboard!). I'm packing one pair of black sandals to wear with all evening outfits, and a pair of loafer type shoes that are comfortable to walk in. Will also take some comfortable walking sandals. Can't seem to get by with less than 4 pairs of shoes. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Thanks for the tip on earpops and cuddle duds. Planning to order those to go with my scarf & gloves for when I need more warmth. Also in search of an evening shawl that will be warm enough to wear on deck after dinner, but might not be able to find that in FL now. Guess I should have thought of that when I was Christmas shopping last year! Oh, and a cheap poncho from WalMart![/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Scrumpy - I know what you mean about the house. I'll leave mine clean, too, if it kills me to get it done before we go. But with a petsitter staying there with our 2 furry boys for almost 2 weeks while we're gone, I'm also arranging for someone to come in and clean again the day before we arrive home, so that I come home to a clean house. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]Hope all of you traveling early in the season will report back with all your travel experiences - as well as some do's and don'ts that you learn by experience for those of us traveling later in the season![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Happy travels to all![/COLOR]

Did someone say Travel Nerd...my ears were burning. Geez I have missed alot this past week. Oh my gosh Patches is the Cutiest ever!!!

I received the Travel pant from Sierra Trading Post last week and their size chart is BOGUS...I need a larger size, and what a pain it is to have to mail back and hope the next Bigger size will fit...Needless to say I joined the Gym on Monday. I haven't written because my arms were so sore I couldn't lift them to the key board. The next time I tell a 20 something x-bodybuilder turned trainer to work me like a mule..I might think twice! I hurt in places I had no idea a body could hurt...you know the saying No Pain No Gain...He takes that waaay tooo literal.

Djaye...I see you use to reside in Alpharetta. I plan to retire to Florida one day. The last child is in 10th grade at Milton, so it will be a few years.

Tangerinnebunny...the pictures cracked me up, so it means pack everything and something will work!

Scrumpy....I have a problem with my home too. I am a neat freak and I have two pups as you know. The get groomed every 4 days and the groomer loves them...well she offered to pet sit the little angles at our home...this is great right ...wrong... come to find out she is a SLOB and she is bringing her 7 year old little SLOB...

Set2travel - Our boys started off at Milton and graduated from Chattahoochee - I would hate to tell you how many years ago! If you're planning to retire to Florida for the weather, that's one thing. If you're trying to escape the Atlanta traffic - well, it's getting almost as bad down here, especially during season in the coastal areas. I think every street/road in the Sarasota area has some kind of construction going on - can't keep up with all the folks pouring in to live here. Our petsitter is not quite as bad as yours sounds, but that's why I'm having someone come in and clean before we return home. I'm leaving a clean house and plan to return to one!

Katie - we're right down the hall from you in 6091.

Oops! The Katie comment was for another thread. That's what I get for getting on before my first cup of coffee!

And as far as the petsitter comment. Ours is not a slob at all, I'm just OC about the house. We're lucky to have someone we can trust enough to leave for 2 weeks and not have to worry obout our "boys" while we're gone. That means a lot.

Now that I've cleared all that up - I'm off to shop!

We should make a list of all the non-fitting things we've had to return since we started this thread. grrrr....

I bought what I swear is my very last item today - a white hooded sweater on sale at Ann Taylor. right.

It's less depressing to come home to a clean house. Or so I keep telling myself.

Set2Travel, what kind of weights did you do? I do the machines....in very small numbers! lol But Yoga is my true love. It took me from a size 18 to a 12 in a year w/o dieting. But it does absolutely nothing for wrinkles and creases.

This might be to late but today (still on here in the West) on the travel channel they are having alot of shows about Alaska. When they are showing tours and the ports I was just looking at what ever one was wearing ;) I don't what time a year it was but they were all ing light jacks jeans and long sleeved shirts & sweatshirts. If you missed today keep your eye out for it they had a lot of intresting things.

Alaska Northbound 6/14/06

W Carb 2/05

"keeps your head warm and cozy" - I'll bet it does.

Did you notice the review?

Review: This type of headgear can make all the difference in a Minnesota winter, where you need serious cold weather protection. Comfortable to wear, too. Don't make fun of it - it works!

How can you not make fun of it ? :eek:

I'm originally from NW Minnesota, and have never worn that model - We do wear something similar - no "nose" under our snowmobile helmets when it gets real cold. Between that and the helmet, it DOES do a number on the hair. Just have to make sure to have a baseball hat tucked inside your jacket!

Oops! The Katie comment was for another thread. That's what I get for getting on before my first cup of coffee!

And as far as the petsitter comment. Ours is not a slob at all, I'm just OC about the house. We're lucky to have someone we can trust enough to leave for 2 weeks and not have to worry obout our "boys" while we're gone. That means a lot.

Now that I've cleared all that up - I'm off to shop!

The housesitter we had several years ago (our favorite, but she moved away :( ) used to clean the house for us - not only clean but "organize". She organized some things so well that I never found them again, LOL!!! If she found a bunch of papers lying around, she'd put them in boxes or envelopes. I finally had to ask her to please contain herself (har-dee-har-har). In all fairness, one time she was there for three weeks and I'm sure she got totally sick of our little piles of paperwork.

One of her friends is going to watch the house and all the critters for us this time. I am very, very nervous...but, our only other candidate is not available. As long as she follows directions, there should be no problems around here. She's a kindergarten (or is it first-grade?) teacher. I keep thinking that if she is responsible enough to take care of small children all day that she should do fine with our babies. Still anxious, though.

Did someone say Travel Nerd...my ears were burning. Geez I have missed alot this past week. Oh my gosh Patches is the Cutiest ever!!!

I received the Travel pant from Sierra Trading Post last week and their size chart is BOGUS...I need a larger size, and what a pain it is to have to mail back and hope the next Bigger size will fit...Needless to say I joined the Gym on Monday. I haven't written because my arms were so sore I couldn't lift them to the key board. The next time I tell a 20 something x-bodybuilder turned trainer to work me like a mule..I might think twice! I hurt in places I had no idea a body could hurt...you know the saying No Pain No Gain...He takes that waaay tooo literal.

Djaye...I see you use to reside in Alpharetta. I plan to retire to Florida one day. The last child is in 10th grade at Milton, so it will be a few years.

Tangerinnebunny...the pictures cracked me up, so it means pack everything and something will work!

Scrumpy....I have a problem with my home too. I am a neat freak and I have two pups as you know. The get groomed every 4 days and the groomer loves them...well she offered to pet sit the little angles at our home...this is great right ...wrong... come to find out she is a SLOB and she is bringing her 7 year old little SLOB...

Yes, I said TRAVEL NERD!!! And, it fits, too. I tried out this new, allegedly more comfortable Healthy Back shoulder bag. It does not distribute the weight evenly as advertised; I'd be better off with a backpack. Be warned! ALSO - security was determined to search every milimeter of it. They took everything out of every little pocket and felt around in there like I was a smuggler. Very irritating. I'm re-thinking taking it on the cruise - or anywhere, for that matter. It was okay for the trip I took this past weekend except for that first security checkpoint and the fact that it does put a lot of weight on one shoulder and makes me lop-sided, LOL!

Our house is not neat, tidy or clean except right before we go on vacation and right before my MIL comes to visit. It doesn't stay that way once she is here because she is a slob, too. So, we have me, her son (also a slob) and her in the house and it deteriorates quickly. I don't know why I bother. But, I like to come home to a clean house after I've been away. It is too much of a shock going from clean cabins and hotel rooms to our house if it's a wreck when I get here.

DH did some work around here while I was out of town. I appreciate it, but when it comes to things like hanging pictures, I wish he'd wait for my input. He loves to hang pictures. (I think it's to get them out of the way as much as it is to "decorate", LOL!) I also wish he wouldn't put everything in the dryer. Of course, it will help me get rid of more clothes if he just shrinks them, so maybe that's okay. I know he does a whole lot around here and I appreciate it, so I should keep my fat mouth shut. It's always that ONE label someone doesn't check that gets us in trouble, though. I do it myself, so shouldn't even comment!

Oh boy - talk about returning clothes that don't fit... the Bean Boots are too small for DH, so they have to go back. I am looking at them right now and wondering when/if I will get them boxed up and returned. So far, everything else fits. :D

I have read this thread from beginning to end. I got quite a few laughs out of it. Last year (May 22-29) we went on Norwegian Star and not having read about things to pack, I packed jeans, sweatshirts and things like that. We live in Florida, and I did pack a windbreaker too, lol. I nearly froze to death. I purchased a fleece jacket onboard and I was fine for the rest of the cruise. My husband doesn't mind the cold (we are from upstate NY, near Syracuse so lived with it many years) but I sure do.

I don't think I would get too carried away with what to pack. I do have to say I didn't do any walking on glaciers so my sneakers were fine. We also had decent weather and my husband said he would have worn shorts at 50 degrees, but of course I was freezing. I did use layers and I think that's the secret to staying warm.

GlacierLady,

We are hoping to go to Alaska next May on Radiance of the Seas, and were wondering about the train mentioned early in this thread. We are doing the southbound, so would fly to Anchorage and sail from Seward. I didn't know there was a train, so any info you could send me would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take up space on this thread with it, so if you could/would email me at KatieL53 at cfl.rr.com, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

I am so jealous of all of you with going this year. Wish we could, but we just came off a Panama Canal cruise, so next year hopefully, we can do it. Enjoy your cruises.

I too have been following this thread and it has made me laugh also, I also have gotten some very good tips on what to wear and what to pack for our vacation. Since we are not going until June 2007 I still have plenty of time to organize my wardrobe. My husband has really gotten into the spirit of things and has been bidding on things on ebay, the other evening he told me to expect a goretex jacket that he bought on ebay for our cruise, I was so touched by his this, but when he showed me the jacket he bought for me I was in shock, it is purple with a pink collar! Now I have nothing against purple and pink but these are colors that I just don't wear and especially together! But like a good wife I told him that it was a cool looking jacket and I do plan on wearing this spring/summer when we are out fishing so this will be a good test if this type of jacket really does keep you warm and dry, maybe I will wear it out and have to buy myself one that is more fashionable! But got to love the hubbys thoughtfulness!

...My husband has really gotten into the spirit of things and has been bidding on things on ebay, the other evening he told me to expect a goretex jacket that he bought on ebay for our cruise, I was so touched by his this, but when he showed me the jacket he bought for me I was in shock, it is purple with a pink collar! Now I have nothing against purple and pink but these are colors that I just don't wear and especially together! But like a good wife I told him that it was a cool looking jacket and I do plan on wearing this spring/summer when we are out fishing so this will be a good test if this type of jacket really does keep you warm and dry, maybe I will wear it out and have to buy myself one that is more fashionable! But got to love the hubbys thoughtfulness!

I would LOVE that jacket, but I'm sure I'm in the minority! Yes, you gotta love hubby's thoughtfulness. Mine was very thoughtful while I was out of town last weekend. So thoughtful that I came home and couldn't get some of my drawers open because he'd done laundry and stuffed every empty space, LOL! I had linen shorts mixed with slips in my sweatshirt drawer and the good ole Christmas socks were back in the sock drawer. Still, gotta love 'em. (anybody have a spare dresser? LOL!)

I have read this thread from beginning to end. I got quite a few laughs out of it. Last year (May 22-29) we went on Norwegian Star and not having read about things to pack, I packed jeans, sweatshirts and things like that. We live in Florida, and I did pack a windbreaker too, lol. I nearly froze to death. I purchased a fleece jacket onboard and I was fine for the rest of the cruise. My husband doesn't mind the cold (we are from upstate NY, near Syracuse so lived with it many years) but I sure do.

I don't think I would get too carried away with what to pack. I do have to say I didn't do any walking on glaciers so my sneakers were fine. We also had decent weather and my husband said he would have worn shorts at 50 degrees, but of course I was freezing. I did use layers and I think that's the secret to staying warm.

I am so jealous of all of you with going this year. Wish we could, but we just came off a Panama Canal cruise, so next year hopefully, we can do it. Enjoy your cruises.

Oh - I want to go to the Panama Canal!!! I envy you!

Our first trip to AK, we didn't have cruise critic (probably a blessing in disguise) and it was a real last-minute trip. We got lucky because we took the right things, but it was mostly pure luck. We had no idea what the weather would be like and no idea what to expect. We hadn't been on a cruise in years, so had to read all our docs over and over to figure things out. The only thing we thought we knew was that it wouldn't be too hot. Otherwise, we were clueless. If we hadn't already gotten used to layering here at home, we probably would have been in BIG trouble.

Hey, it's been snowing here all day in Colorado. Thought I'd share that with our Southern friends. I am so ready for vacation, even if Seattle and Alaska are both chilly and damp. I doubt we'll have snow all day like I've got here at home!

The housesitter we had several years ago (our favorite, but she moved away :( ) used to clean the house for us - not only clean but "organize". She organized some things so well that I never found them again, LOL!!! If she found a bunch of papers lying around, she'd put them in boxes or envelopes. I finally had to ask her to please contain herself (har-dee-har-har). In all fairness, one time she was there for three weeks and I'm sure she got totally sick of our little piles of paperwork.

One of her friends is going to watch the house and all the critters for us this time. I am very, very nervous...but, our only other candidate is not available. As long as she follows directions, there should be no problems around here. She's a kindergarten (or is it first-grade?) teacher. I keep thinking that if she is responsible enough to take care of small children all day that she should do fine with our babies. Still anxious, though.

Found out yesterday that my petsitter is unavailable and now in a panic. I have until August, but hate going through finding the right, new person between now and then. I put out feelers, but with no luck yet. Hate to resort to the yellow pages. . . . .

Found out yesterday that my petsitter is unavailable and now in a panic. I have until August, but hate going through finding the right, new person between now and then. I put out feelers, but with no luck yet. Hate to resort to the yellow pages. . . . .

I've never used anyone from this site, but I kept it in case I needed it.

http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm

You enter your zip code and it shows you people in your area.

Good luck! The absolute hardest thing about travelling is finding someone to watch our animals - and worrying about them while gone. I hope you find someone soon!

Archived