Margarita Island, Venezuela

Guest rfrenchbaxter

Guest rfrenchbaxter

Has anyone ever been to Margarita Island, Venezuela? If so please tell me waht all you did on this Island while you were there? CAn you give me ideas of what to do and exciting excursions.

Thank you

Rfrenchbaxter

• 2 weeks later...

I love Margarita Island. If you want a really good tour of the island check this out

http://www.margaritaislandvacation.info/Crusin_N_Style.htm

I have found a website with lots of info as well:

http://www.margaritaislandvacation.info/El_Guamache_Port.htm

Has anyone ever been to Margarita Island, Venezuela? If so please tell me waht all you did on this Island while you were there? CAn you give me ideas of what to do and exciting excursions.

Thank you

Rfrenchbaxter

• 1 month later...

Yuck.... it was the worst Island we visited. And boy we have visited all the caribbean etc.

There is no mandatory schooling , so all the bums are hanging out and it it is dirty and they all supprt Chavez. Stay on the ship and sip margaritas in the hot tub....:D

They only take you there because they can't take you to Venezuela proper because of the uprising.....

• 2 weeks later...
Yuck.... it was the worst Island we visited. And boy we have visited all the caribbean etc.

There is no mandatory schooling , so all the bums are hanging out and it it is dirty and they all supprt Chavez. Stay on the ship and sip margaritas in the hot tub....:D

They only take you there because they can't take you to Venezuela proper because of the uprising.....

That's a shame. What tour company did you use and where did you go to see bums hanging out that should have been in school?

If I lived in IDM and my water was controlled by Venezuela and my gasoline was also controlled by Venezuela at US$.12/gal, I’d probably support Chavez, too.

I’ve been there many times and have never seen any group hanging-out that I would classify as “bums”. The people all seem genuinely friendly and hospitable. Perhaps you went to a different part of the island (?).

That being said, it’s not my favorite island either, but it is a long way from purgatory. It’s South American. IDM is all about South America and this is the way South America presents itself, just as Mexico portrays a different experience than Miami or St. Lucia.

I believe everyone should experience this island himself or herself, then make up their own mind.

If you just stay on the ship, you’ll never know, will you?

Hi there, Can you tell me is it safe to go around the island - I have 2 teenage daughters. We would like to take the boat in La Restinga to see the seahorses - has anyone used Marcos Tours? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

With a tour guide... keep an eye on the girls....I would not wonder alone or let them wander alone.

• 5 months later...

Well only 61% of the "bums" support Chavez. The island has really been cleaned up the past year. There is so much to see and do here. I have just moved here from Tampa Florida. While there some areas that you might see bums hanging out, there are so many nicer places. I would recommend that you take a personalized tour of the island. There are some beautiful things to see. There are some VERY nice beaches. If you like to shop there is a HUGE mall that looks like it could have come directly from Florida. There are McDonalds, Wendys, KFC, Dominos Pizza, Sub Way............... on the Island.

I too have been to all of the caribbean.............. and I CHOSE this island for retirement. Being so close to the mainland is a blessing. In the early morning you can see semi rigs crusing down the highways from the fairy. The 10 cent a gallon gas sure does not hurt. The people here are helpful and friendly for the most part.

While you are in the hot tub drinking your margaritas, you are missing out on the most livable caribbean island!

Hi there, Can you tell me is it safe to go around the island - I have 2 teenage daughters. We would like to take the boat in La Restinga to see the seahorses - has anyone used Marcos Tours? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I have recently learned of another tour company that sounds real nice.

http://www.freewebs.com/margarita_tours/

Worth a look see.

• 2 weeks later...

My memories are kindof vague, but I remember we weren't particularly impressed. I think we just wandered off the boat, went to the beach that was in the immediate area, dipped our toes in. There were some local merchants selling handcrafted items, not too much. We didn't take any excursion or tour. The beach was pretty though very small.

All this from a place that support Bush, only the rich have health care and people have to live in gated communites to feel safe!

Has anyone ever been to Margarita Island, Venezuela? If so please tell me what all you did on this Island while you were there? Can you give me ideas of what to do and exciting excursions.

Thank you

Rfrenchbaxter

From what we were told tours were good. Also we were there in November for 6 hours. They had a very nice beach at the ship and also some nice shops along the way. One shop had very nice pottery made from a lady who grew up in Ohio. She had lots of recommendations for things to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We really enjoyed this island. We didn't do a tour. We just got off the ship and went through the shops and hung out on the beautiful beaches. This was some of the most FUN shops we've visited on a cruise. They don't have the same dumb stuff you find at all the other ports (Diamond's International is a Caribbean curse). The beaches were also very nice. If we went again, I think we'd take a tour to check out more of the island.

• 5 months later...

I'd love to go back again. We got off the ship and shopped for pearls and other neat gifts. We enjoy buying from the little local booths instead of the big DiamonInternationals. We went back to the ship and dropped off our treasures and then went back to a nice beach within walking distance. Get off the tenders go to the right and walk through a bar to get to this beach. We were not hassled at all nor did we ever fell unsafe. If you have daughters, they will enjoy all the little jewelry stands.

We were there a few years ago in November. There all day on a Princess cruise. We took a ship excursion that went to La Restinga and some nature reserve that had a maze you walk through, then by the Pearl shop very briefly. The boast trip on the lagoon was excellent and we had a wonderful guide. The maze was a waste of time and we didn't stay long enough at the pearl shop. We got back to the port area in time to shop at the vendors' stalls there.

We took a ship tour because the year before we had docked outside Caracas and it was pretty grim with soldiers, tanks, etc. So we felt safer on the ship tour, though we never saw any of the military to the degree as was in Caracas.

My understanding is that the cruiselines go here on Southern Caribbean cruises to refuel more economically.

My recommendation is that you go and enjoy what is there and learn something from any citizens who tell you about their lives and experiences. Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

We loved it there. 6 of us (dh, dd, dsil, and 2 gd) got a cab that took us to the beach on the other side of the island. Our cab driver stayed with us all day and we were served many drinks on the beach, both alcoholic and non alcoholic, ate like kings, lobster,etc., had great beach chairs and super service and we paid $105. for the entire beach day, food and tips for all 6 of us. Cab was extra.

The cab we got was from a stand set up right off the Celebrity Galaxy and someone from the boat registered us with a cab and got the cab's price for the day. This was not a ship's tour.

The place where we docked wasn't so nice so it was worth the ride to the great beach.

I would definitely do it again. We drove through some poverty stricken areas but I think you do that on any island if you get away from the main area.

• 4 weeks later...

dzcruisers, do you remember the name of the beach? Were there things to do there or just lounge around? Any snorkeling? Did you rent the chairs or was it a one fee for use of chairs, food, drink and all? Do you remember the cost of the taxi?

We will be there in Feb 2008 and it sounds like this is a beach island for us.

Thanks.

I was reading this thread, which has Venezuela in the header, and another thread that does not have it. And guess what? The whole tone of these two threads about the same place is different. This is far more negatie than the other which has no discussion about politics.

Just thought I would mention this.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...