Question about the Jewel out of Barcelona and air

FierceAXBoi

The ship gets back at 5am according to NCL.......Is this true? Are most people booking themselves out on a flight that same morning? How do you do this do I fly out two days before that way I arrive the day before? Do I fly out the following day after the cruise ends or that same morning? It seems thats ALOT of hotel stays. I doubt NCL is putting up there air guest on a pre and post hotel for booking there air.

Well you would depart the States the day prior so that your flight will arrive in Barcelona on the day of sailing, so there is no need for a pre night hotel stay unless that is something you'd like to have. As far as departing, again, unless you want to stay in Barcelona you're flight will depart that late morning/afternoon & probably arrive in the States the following morning.

I'm doing this cruise on June 18th and decided not to take any chances with missing the ship or a return flight. My flight from the states leaves 2 days prior on the 15th. I arrive in Barcelona the night of the 16th. So, we will have 2 hotel nights to pay for. I wanted a full day to explore Barcelona.

On the return, we decided not to rush leaving either, so we booked another night at the same hotel and we fly out the next day. That will leave us another leisurely day in Barcelona. No worries on whether or not we'll make our flights on time.

I booked my own hotel and airfare. I wanted to pick them myself. NCL's hotel sucked, so I chose the Jazz Hotel in the heart of everything and one block from Las Ramblas. I also picked British Air for my flight. All of this was based on reviews I've read. Since it is going to be a very long flight, I wanted the most comfortable seats and food. Alot of flights don't even feed you these days. After checking prices, it was just about the same as the cruiselines and I had more control over what I wanted. If you go to the board for flights, there are so many horror stories when the cruiseline makes those arrangements.

Maybe my plans will help give you some ideas for yourself.

The duration of the flight is basically the same both ways, but there's a major difference in time by the clock. A non stop flight from New York to Barcelona is about 8 hours long, the time zone difference is 6 hours.

On an east bound flight from New York City to Barcelona, you'll lose at least 14 hours on the clock, so you should depart New York the evening before on an overnight flight to arrive in Barcelona in the morning of the Dawn's departure.

On a west bound flight, you only use 2 hours by the clock. So an afternoon flight from Barcelona will arrive in New York in the afternoon.

Flights with intermediate stops take from 11 to 13 hours to fly that distance. So you might have to take an earlier flight eastward. On the return you'll just arrive a little later, an afternoon flight leaving Barcelona should arrive at worse later that evening.

I hope this helps.

The current flight I am looking at leaves Miami at around 10am the day before and gets to Barcelona at 9:45 the day off the cruise. On the way back there is a 11am departure but the ship is soppuse to get there at 5am. How far is the aiport from the pier? I am sure NCL is flying there passengers out the same day they disembark.....

my understanding is the airport is about 30 mins. depending on traffic. you should get priority disembarkation with an 11:00 flight. sound like the ship will clear starting around 7 or 7:30. i am leaving 3 days prior from the west coast, lax. that was about 200.00 cheaper per person for airfare and we are taking our 2 daughters also. so we thought we would spend a couple more days vacationing for the same price as flying in and just cruising. we also will stay one night after the cruise and a night in paris. we originally had a lay over there and my daughter has always wanted to go there, so i asked american airlines if we could do that and there was no additional cost. we then thought we would like to stay in new york over night, but that fare was way too high. if you have the time check different days, maybe you can spend some extra time vacationing too!!!

Wow Paris is nice........I would love to do that if I had the time. Maybe one day Ill go back with more time. Now all I got is the time for the cruise and maybe one day extra. So I am hoping to find someone here who is flying out the same day the cruise ends.............That will give me an idea of whether its possible or not

Thanks

May I ask why you bumped this thread?

Are you looking for someone to answer from personal experience?

Well, you will not find any from personal experience, as this is a brand new ship doing a brand new itineary for it's first summer season.

The airport has been reported to be 30 minutes away. The ship arrives at 5:00 am and the flight is scheduled to depart at 11:00 am. That's SIX hours to disembark the ship and to get to the gate at the airport. Look's like they will make it easily.

Wow Paris is nice........I would love to do that if I had the time. Maybe one day Ill go back with more time. Now all I got is the time for the cruise and maybe one day extra. So I am hoping to find someone here who is flying out the same day the cruise ends.............That will give me an idea of whether its possible or not

Thanks

We have a 10:40 departure the same morning the Jewel arrives back in Barcelona. We're going to ask for early disembarkment and take our bags off the ship ourselves. To answer an earlier question you had on this thread, we'll change plans @ JFK and still arrive back home on the East Coast late afternoon same day. If you can fly in a day early that would be good for a variety of reasons, not the least to make sure any checked bags make your flight and there are no major flight delays. Part of my group is flying out of Atlanta on the Friday night before, arriving at 11am Saturday in Barcelona and spending the rest of Sat touring and recovering from jet lag before boarding the ship the next day. Hope this helps.

NCL prefers to use United Airlines, but my friends booked on Delta and paid the deviation for their Jewel cruise. Their flight leaves Barcelona at 1:05 pm.

The pre-cruise hotels with NCL ARE good, in fact, I know quite a few people that have stayed at the Tryp Apolo Hotel and loved the location and the hotel itself and it's an NCL hotel.

Archived