Post-cruise comment on tipping

Naveron

Having just finished a my first Seabourn cruise on the Legend, I wanted to say how helpful this board was.

A funny thing happened on the day before the cruise finished. Many of my fellow guests who had not been on Seabourn before were discreetly asking other guests what to do about tips. Clearly, we were all a bit perplexed on how to reward the wonderful service and not appear cheap.

I ended up leaving a little something for our cabin steward. Beyond that I just wouldn't have known where to end. As they say in the brochure, it would have meant tipping EVERYONE.

I know that the Captain held a party for staff on the second last night but that was for obtaining extremely high ratings for cleanliness and safety.

I hope we all did the right thing!

As has been said many times here the best way to reward the entire crew for its wonderful service is to contribute to the crew welfare fund. This ensures that all crew members benefit from your generosity.

I agree Wripro - we also contribute to the Crew Welfare Fund - because there is just no way you can contribute to ALL the crew individually and they are all so good - so at least you have given a little something to each doing it this way, and I believe that it is appreciated. The service is so special that even though tips are included, almost everyone feels that they should do something extra for this crew.

“They are all so good” ....that’s our thoughts too! Although we also considered a couple of special favors done for us.

A detail we ran into on our Far east cruise was coming up with cash for tips in a currency that would be useful for the individual at later ports. US cash was an obvious choice but we took little of it because it wasn’t used much in the countries we visited, the local ATM’s only offered currency useful in that country and we couldn’t get US$ draws against our cabin account/credit card. In Europe or the Caribbean this is less of an issue because Euros or Carib dollars would be a good solution.

When they all have been great, the one gesture that works out well is that a donation to the welfare fund can be charged to your cabin, just tell the purser’s office. We gave them a little thank you note to pass on and the crew purser sent us a prompt appreciation.

B

The other thing to remember is that one of the best things you can do for a particular crew member is to give him or her a rave on your guest questionnaire at the end of the cruise. seabourn pays close attention to these evaluations and if someone is singled out it is noted and rewarded. again, it is hard to put down everyone's name but I have been known to request extra paper to fit everyone in.

I saw the crew fishing off the back of the ship. They had some real bad rods old as the hills. So I bought a few rods for them at port and 2 bikes that the crew can use when they go ashore. You can't believe the BUZZ. No one knew who bought them. I got the Capt's permission.

Archived