Globaliser - Antarctica

Howdy. I recognize the ring of truth when I hear it and that one sentence of yours had me thinking. All the way around Cape Horn on Oceania without ever getting to set foot on Antarctica? You said, "You'll want to go back" and I could not stop thinking about that. This all started out as me wanting to try Oceania and Cape Horn seemed like a good trip but then here came a note of truth.

I figured out that Saga Cruises does set foot on Antarctica, just as you did - via Zodiac. So I canceled Cape Horn and am now signed up with O to do their repo cruise from Istanbul to Singapore, 25 days, commencing 27 Nov. They were almost sold out. Whew!

I wanted to say many thanks for that head's up. I feel good about doing a 180 and going to the Middle East where the eastern mindset attitude toward American tourists will not improve for the foreseeable future but Oceania and penguins are, I hope, forever.

Kind regards,

Ruby

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/08/15/antarctica.ap/index.html

This is today's CNN.com article about Antarctica which I found quite informative and talks a wee bit about Deception Island. I still remember your most excellent photos where pax could float in a caldera at the South Pole. Incredible.

But I thought you might like to stroll down Memory Lane and read this brief, colorful account. As you may recall, I was green with envy upon hearing about your trip and am in contact with Saga Cruises about taking a roughly equivalent trip aboard the Rose in early 2008.

Now - if you could please do something in the interim about this Pound Sterling/ USD situation, I won't have to sell a pint of blood to make the voyage.

All the best,

Ruby

Globaliser - as I work my way thru the vast and various threads regarding means of transport from airports to ports in the UK, uh Britain, uh, England, I have to smile. I "trained" for 3 weeks in New Zealand, and trained Scotland for weeks, but what cured me forever of using trains was a one-day trip from Mallaig (Isle of Skye area) straight thru to Wimbledon. It was a trip of around 11 hours or so by ScotRail and BritRail and, by the time I got to Cannizaro House in Wimbledon, I was looking for a bellhop with a hand truck who could trundle me off to my room.

I have to follow up on our last chat. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the heartbreaking news is that Dumbledore has gone to that big Magic Shop in the Sky. So the currency exchange problem will almost surely roll along unchecked. I am, of course, taking evasive measures by going to the Middle East, Egypt, India, Thailand, Andaman Seas, Straits of Malacca, Singapore. Currency in my favor, as it were. Surely I'll be safe on this itinerary? Hello? Hello?

While packing the flak jacket and steel helmet, I send kind regards,

Ruby

... what cured me forever of using trains was a one-day trip from Mallaig (Isle of Skye area) straight thru to Wimbledon. It was a trip of around 11 hours or so by ScotRail and BritRail and, by the time I got to Cannizaro House in Wimbledon, I was looking for a bellhop with a hand truck who could trundle me off to my room.
My sympathies. I'll happily fly 11 hours to get somewhere, but I think 11 hours on UK trains would be a bit much for me.
I am, of course, taking evasive measures by going to the Middle East, Egypt, India, Thailand, Andaman Seas, Straits of Malacca, Singapore. Currency in my favor, as it were. Surely I'll be safe on this itinerary? Hello? Hello?
Now, that's the spirit. I'm glad that there are some of us CC'ers who are not namby-pamby must-have-our-hands-held-every-step-of-the-way types that are often frequenting these boards! :D

Howdy. Tell me something - Did Sofitel take over the Gatwick Le Meridien? I stayed there overnight a year ago on the way back home from Far North. It was profoundly expensive yet worth every penny at that particular time.

I noticed that posters talk about a hotel connected directly into the terminal which was Le Meridien. Is Sofitel the same hotel? Evidently the Sofitel chain is acquiring major properties around the world because they now manage the Al Moudira, my "desert oasis" hotel in November in the Valley of the Kings and Queens at Luxor.

Do you have any info about Sofitel and expansion? Or the reverse for the chain of Le Meridien? Just curious.

Cheers!

Ruby

Tell me something - Did Sofitel take over the Gatwick Le Meridien?
Yes, indeed. This is part of the break-up/downsizing of Le Meridien after the serious problems that it had. So now the hotel attached to the North Terminal is the Sofitel. The South Terminal still has the Hilton attached to it, and will also have a Courtyard by Marriott (announced last week). In addition, I think that the Yotel which is to open shortly will be inside the South Terminal.

• 4 months later...
Yes, indeed. This is part of the break-up/downsizing of Le Meridien after the serious problems that it had. So now the hotel attached to the North Terminal is the Sofitel. The South Terminal still has the Hilton attached to it, and will also have a Courtyard by Marriott (announced last week). In addition, I think that the Yotel which is to open shortly will be inside the South Terminal.

Have you been dunking in any calderas lately? I still haven't gotten to Antarctica yet but just got back from an Oceania Istanbul to Singapore repo - what a fine cruise line Oceania is.

I'm going in August on Saga Rose to Greenland - I'm trying to beat SOLAS. I have a Gatwick hotel question - is Sofitel a top quality hotel in North Terminal since they took over Le Meridien? I don't know what Yotel is - a youth hotel?

My plan is to disembark Saga Rose in Dover, have a car service take me to Gatwick, overnight at Sofitel, then on to Dallas the next day. Just wanted to get your input about Sofitel before I slip on a premise and sprawl to a conclusion.

Cheers!

Ruby

I have a Gatwick hotel question - is Sofitel a top quality hotel in North Terminal since they took over Le Meridien? I don't know what Yotel is - a youth hotel?

My plan is to disembark Saga Rose in Dover, have a car service take me to Gatwick, overnight at Sofitel, then on to Dallas the next day. Just wanted to get your input about Sofitel before I slip on a premise and sprawl to a conclusion.

Funnily enough, I had a night in the Sofitel in November before flying to Dallas the next morning. Not that we were really there long enough, in the end, to justify it - because of work hiccups and train delays, we didn't get to the hotel until about 12.30 am, and we were out of there again at about 8.30 am. If we'd known, we'd just have gone to Gatwick the same morning; we'd had these pipe dreams of a nice relaxing evening in the hotel to start the holiday early.

It's a very nice hotel, and I'd happily recommend it. The rooms are not big, but they are well-equipped and decently furnished. We were lucky to have one that overlooked the apron, so there was some interesting viewing in the morning - but no noise.

One other thing which I discovered: the walk from the inter-terminal shuttle to the Sofitel is very short, much shorter than the walk from the south terminal to the Hilton. So for anyone who can manage their own luggage on a trolley, I would now recommend the Sofitel over the Hilton even if flying from the South Terminal, as it's easier to get from the Sofitel to South Terminal check-in than to get there from the Hilton.

Hope this helps.

As for the Yotel - read more about it here. Not my cup of tea, except in extremis! :)

Jealous about your going on Oceania - have heard many good things about the line and want to try it.

I liked that hotel in 2005, regardless of the Le Meridien problems. And, as you say, it is so easy to walk from the hotel to any gate in North Terminal. It is a hoot to walk thru the lobby and out the glass doors, then pop down to any gate. An easy meander.

Thanks for the assurance that all is calm and all is bright with Sofitel. And, English Jane, I'll be sure to have their breakfast.

Dallas? You were in Dallas? I live just 6 miles east of DFW Airport - no noise, but oh-so-convenient. You may have been here in Texas while I was in Istanbul.

What did you do in Dallas? Any visitor I have that wants to see a great city I send to Fort Worth which has multiple depths of interest for any tourist of any stripe. And downtown Fort Worth, Sundance Square, is a great, safe experience for food, fun, and hotels.

The flip side of Yotel - I had a day rate at Changi Airport's Transit Hotel after disembarking Oceania and before the evening flight to LAX. It was a nice large clean room with the usual appurtenances. One can run downstairs to the airport, grab a bite at a food kiosk, and return to the room. Changi Airport certainly deserves its designation as Number One Airport in the world. Most impressive.

In looking at your link to Yotel, it makes me squeamish in reference to room space. In extremis is well-put. And thanks for that information.

Please make all efforts to keep Greenland from melting further until after August. Thanks ever so.:)

Cheers!

Ruby

Dallas? You were in Dallas?
Sorry, I was a little bit inaccurate there. I was at DFW, and only long enough to connect to New Orleans on the day of the snow (30 November) for a 3-night pre-cruise stay. First time in Texas, and it snows on me! That's produced a few laughs.

Sorry, I was a little bit inaccurate there. I was at DFW, and only long enough to connect to New Orleans on the day of the snow (30 November) for a 3-night pre-cruise stay. First time in Texas, and it snows on me! That's produced a few laughs.

You have me smiling - I didn't have a clue that it snowed here while I was in Egypt. Ironically, Texas is in the midst of a snow/sleet/awfulness weather pattern that we haven't seen in years.

May I recommend Muscat, Oman as a vacation escape from the UK? Brand-new luxury hotels outside town, 3 of them all in a row in an area called Shangri-La. The new highway leads out of downtown to the hotels which perch on a gentle sloping hillside and you walk thru magnificent lobbies down to the white sandy beach area where you will enjoy bright sun and clear - yes, clear! - blue skies.

If I sound like a tourist brochure, it's because I was caught completely by surprise by Muscat. My intention had been to stay on the ship because, after difficult tours in Egypt, I didn't want to be dragged thru another tired, dirty, old country. Muscat was the complete opposite of Egypt and a delightful surprise.

If one were tired of bad weather in Colde Olde England, I would give an enthusiastic nod to Muscat where one can relax and enjoy a clean, fresh, well-run, safe country.

Cheers!

Ruby

You have me smiling - I didn't have a clue that it snowed here while I was in Egypt. Ironically, Texas is in the midst of a snow/sleet/awfulness weather pattern that we haven't seen in years.

May I recommend Muscat, Oman as a vacation escape from the UK? Brand-new luxury hotels outside town, 3 of them all in a row in an area called Shangri-La. The new highway leads out of downtown to the hotels which perch on a gentle sloping hillside and you walk thru magnificent lobbies down to the white sandy beach area where you will enjoy bright sun and clear - yes, clear! - blue skies.

If I sound like a tourist brochure, it's because I was caught completely by surprise by Muscat. My intention had been to stay on the ship because, after difficult tours in Egypt, I didn't want to be dragged thru another tired, dirty, old country. Muscat was the complete opposite of Egypt and a delightful surprise.

If one were tired of bad weather in Colde Olde England, I would give an enthusiastic nod to Muscat where one can relax and enjoy a clean, fresh, well-run, safe country.

Cheers!

Ruby

Archived