Need info on best beach

excitedcruiser

Looking for the best beach area in Cayman Islands. Here's what I would like to have. Restaurant, restrooms, lockers, "free" chairs and umbrellas, snorkling area. We will be four adults with 2 being senior citizens. Don't want much walkling. Any suggestions? Been looking at SeaGrapes but you have to rent chairs and umbrellas? That seems a little weird to me.

I'm not sure you're going to find free chairs anywhere along the beach. I could be wrong though. You can go anywhere on the beach, it's public, but condos and hotels run the length of the 7MB. From the point of someone who spent a small fortune to rent a condo there for the week, I can see why they do this. There are days there are 9 ships in port...the place gets packed. It was hard just finding a chair when others from our condo were at the beach.

However, I do think some of the larger hotels offer rental fees. I'm not sure what the public beach offers in the way of food or restrooms. I think I remember seeing picnic tables, but that's about it. Sea Grape seems to be really nice. It's clear at the other end of 7MB, but does have food, restrooms, and chairs. You could just use your towel, and sit on the beach. It's really a nice beach area.

Also, 7MB is not within walking distance. You will need to take a cab, at least IMO. There's a place called Royal Palms...I believe. I'm not sure what they charge, if anything for chairs.

Looking for the best beach area in Cayman Islands. Here's what I would like to have. Restaurant, restrooms, lockers, "free" chairs and umbrellas, snorkling area. We will be four adults with 2 being senior citizens. Don't want much walkling. Any suggestions? Been looking at SeaGrapes but you have to rent chairs and umbrellas? That seems a little weird to me.

Dear Excited Cruiser - I agree with Twinkletoes. Sea Grape and Royal Palms are great. And no, you won't find anyplace that has "free" chairs. Some places do, but you will be expected to buy a drink or such.

Sea Grape is good because it is between the big Public Beach - Sir Francis Drake, and the Mariott Courtyard Beach. It allows you to choose between 3 beaches from one taxi stand. It is also the only bit of SMB left without condos and hotels smothering the natural beauty.

Sea Grape has Calico Jacks bar and grill, changing rooms, bathrooms, etc... and you don't have to rent a chair. You can sit at the tables or just bring a beach towel.

Public beach is great, and is completely free...but bring your own chair.

Mariott's beach is lovely as well. Take a taxi or bus to Sea Grape and then you can choose from all 3, as they are 1 next to the other.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
Dear Excited Cruiser - I agree with Twinkletoes. Sea Grape and Royal Palms are great. And no, you won't find anyplace that has "free" chairs. Some places do, but you will be expected to buy a drink or such.

Sea Grape is good because it is between the big Public Beach - Sir Francis Drake, and the Mariott Courtyard Beach. It allows you to choose between 3 beaches from one taxi stand. It is also the only bit of SMB left without condos and hotels smothering the natural beauty.

Sea Grape has Calico Jacks bar and grill, changing rooms, bathrooms, etc... and you don't have to rent a chair. You can sit at the tables or just bring a beach towel.

Public beach is great, and is completely free...but bring your own chair.

Mariott's beach is lovely as well. Take a taxi or bus to Sea Grape and then you can choose from all 3, as they are 1 next to the other.

Enjoy!

When at Sea Grape in which direction is the public beach and which direction is the Mariott? Does the beach have any services at all?

When at Sea Grape in which direction is the public beach and which direction is the Mariott? Does the beach have any services at all?

If you are standing on Sea Grape and facing the water, the Courtyard Marriott is behind you (and a little to your left) and their beach area is to your left(I think I remember seeing a big tent, but that may have been up because they were doing a BBQ that night). Still standing and facing the water, the public beach is to the right, although I can't remember how far. The public beach offers no services. At least this is what I remember seeing. We didn't stop...but drove past several times. :)

Thanks for the great info on Sea Grape. That's what I thought about the public beach but you confirmed it!

Is Royal Palms a hotel location that the ships use for excursions or not? What services are there?

Royal Palms isn't a hotel, but a place where you can rent a chair (or just toss your towel down on the beach), eat and they have restroom facilities (like Sea Grape). I think (from what I have read), that RP's does not offer water toys like Sea Grape (Red Sail has rentals at Sea Grape). I've read they have a great mudslide at Royal Palms. Next time we are there...we're going to have to check it out. :)

Last night when we were leaving Fort Lauderdale (in a storm), there was a Cayman Airways plane behind ours. You don't know how much I wished I was on that plane!!!!

Have a wonderful time! :)

I'm not sure if you want to take the time to go to Rum Point or not. We had the best time of our entire cruise here. The chairs are free! Great food at the beach cafe, rental equipment (Red Sail Sports), clean bathrooms with showers and the most beautiful view of the entire trip. There is a glass bottom boat trip also. There is a mega amount of info on these boards about it. If you do a search with "Rum Point" you should find out everything you want to know about it... and more. Do an internet search and you will find pics.

I'm not sure if you want to take the time to go to Rum Point or not. We had the best time of our entire cruise here. The chairs are free! Great food at the beach cafe, rental equipment (Red Sail Sports), clean bathrooms with showers and the most beautiful view of the entire trip. There is a glass bottom boat trip also. There is a mega amount of info on these boards about it. If you do a search with "Rum Point" you should find out everything you want to know about it... and more. Do an internet search and you will find pics.

Sounds wonderful.

How far is Rum Point from the RCCL dock and do you know the cost getting there?

Sounds wonderful.

How far is Rum Point from the RCCL dock and do you know the cost getting there?

I think Nativeway offers a stingray/Rum Point excursion. Otherwise, you'd need to rent a car to get there. If you rent a car, it is really a pretty drive over to that side of the island. It's about a 45 minute drive-each way- to Rum Point from George Town (if you don't stop for anything).

If you are standing on Sea Grape and facing the water, the Courtyard Marriott is behind you (and a little to your left) and their beach area is to your left(I think I remember seeing a big tent, but that may have been up because they were doing a BBQ that night). Still standing and facing the water, the public beach is to the right, although I can't remember how far. The public beach offers no services. At least this is what I remember seeing. We didn't stop...but drove past several times. :)

I think it is the other way, but any way, Sea Grape and Courtyard are adjacent. Left and right, that is. Courtyard is still behind.

I think it is the other way, but any way, Sea Grape and Courtyard are adjacent. Left and right, that is. Courtyard is still behind.

That could be...I get confused easily. :) Next time we are there, we're going to stop and take a look around Sea Grape. What we saw looked really nice.

Archived